Richlands Bowling Center

Hey guys. Just saw a flyer for the Grand ReOpening of the Richlands Bowling Center!!! It reopens next friday, August 5th. Im gonna go check it out. See if they just left it the same, or maybe did a remodel and revamp of the lanes. Seems as best I can remember, weren't the lanes a little off balance?? Seemed all the balls rolled left on all the lanes. Could be wrong though, since it hasn't been open in at least 7-10 years. Anyone got any further info??

I do believe that their machines ended up at Fireside so I guess they will have to have new/different ball return machines, and no Gman it is the building in the middle of town, it is a very small building to have a bowling alley in, so it will be interesting to see what they were able to do with it.

I do believe that their machines ended up at Fireside so I guess they will have to have new/different ball return machines, and no Gman it is the building in the middle of town, it is a very small building to have a bowling alley in, so it will be interesting to see what they were able to do with it.

I drove by earlier, and the door at te bottom of the steps is still rather dusty and nasty looking inside. The alley itself being upstairs, I couldnt see if any progress or anything has been done.

Oh, the old bowling alley down in town...gotcha! I was going to say, the one at Claypool Hill looked awful busy Friday afternoon when I passed by...

As I was driving home today, I saw a few people walking into the building. They were carrying some stuff. The doors were proper open. And someone was washing the doors off. I guess this really is gonna happen!

Hey guys. Just saw a flyer for the Grand ReOpening of the Richlands Bowling Center!!! It reopens next friday, August 5th. Im gonna go check it out. See if they just left it the same, or maybe did a remodel and revamp of the lanes. Seems as best I can remember, weren't the lanes a little off balance?? Seemed all the balls rolled left on all the lanes. Could be wrong though, since it hasn't been open in at least 7-10 years. Anyone got any further info??

Good. I'm stunned that rinky-dink Fireside Lanes was the only house in Tazewell County for so long. Not a knock against people who bowl at Fireside, you have to bowl on what you're given, but I did not approve of those lanes. Keep up posted on how the new bowling center does.

As a side note, am I crazy for thinking that a bowling center could do really well in Tazewell?

If I'm not mistaken, my dad always told me there used to be a bowling alley in Tazewell. It was across the road from where the old Deskins warehouses are in the gold building.

I remember when Lynns Lanes used to be open!!!! My mom bowled leagues there every week. I'm glad we're getting a different place to bowl again. I hate having to drive to Bristol to bowl at interstate. I wish the bowling alley in Grundy was still open now they had some great lanes.

If I'm not mistaken, my dad always told me there used to be a bowling alley in Tazewell. It was across the road from where the old Deskins warehouses are in the gold building.

I remember when Lynns Lanes used to be open!!!! My mom bowled leagues there every week. I'm glad we're getting a different place to bowl again. I hate having to drive to Bristol to bowl at interstate. I wish the bowling alley in Grundy was still open now they had some great lanes.

You would be right on that. Been well before my time but they shutdown and Deskins bought it as a warehouse. The only thing rolling through their the past several years is the mice.

I do wish they would get a bowling alley in town would be something great to do locally instead of having to go to Bluefield or Richlands

the old rameys building would be good for something. plenty of parking there

Bad location for a bowling alley...area tends to flood...water and bowling equipment don't mix...

I've always thought the old Kroger building or the old Big Lots building in the Lowe's shopping area would be great places for a bowling alley in Bluefield, VA, if there was a need for one...which there isn't...

Bad location for a bowling alley...area tends to flood...water and bowling equipment don't mix...

I've always thought the old Kroger building or the old Big Lots building in the Lowe's shopping area would be great places for a bowling alley in Bluefield, VA, if there was a need for one...which there isn't...

That is a poor location for one, I agree. I was thinking of the abandoned building up near the Dollar General and Auto Zone in Tazewell. I see several benefits:

1. There's no competition. Mountaineer's 30+ minutes away, and Fireside's not very good.

2. There's plenty of parking. Easily enough to fit 200+ cars in that lot.

3. There's plenty of room inside the building. Easily enough for 24-28 lanes + pool tables + snack bar.

4. It's elevated, so we don't have to worry about flooding.

5. There's very little in Tazewell that's youth/young-adult oriented. Here you go.

6. Restaurants nearby will draw in people, and vice versa.

If I had the capital, I'd go for it.

If I had the capital, I'd go for it.

And you would need a boatload of it...and don't plan on making a profit for many years...bowling alley infrastructure is not cheap...