Pre-season picks..

wave316

Ok ,just for fun ....who do you feel will win their district conferences in SWVA High school...LPD...Clintwood...Cumberland -Castlewood--Clinch--Gate City--Southwest---Richlands --Hogo --George Wythe--Black Diamond -Honaker

I pretty much agree with your list Wave, I think possibly Hurley could be a wildcard, but from reading several post on here it seems they have a few holes to fill so who knows how that will turn out. Either way, I'm ready for football to get started back!

I pretty much agree with your list Wave, I think possibly Hurley could be a wildcard, but from reading several post on here it seems they have a few holes to fill so who knows how that will turn out. Either way, I'm ready for football to get started back!

Hey you could be right about Hurley....forgot about some Grundy guys transferring over there....Bergalow and others...Greg Tester does a great job at Hurley!

Agreed. Heard Twin Springs could make a run in the Cumberland.

I picked Castlewood partly because I heard the majority of St Paul students chose to go there versus Coeburn ...Don't know how many of those may have been football players... Anyone know where Reid Edmonds chose....one of the best players in the Cumberland from St Paul?

I picked Castlewood partly because I heard the majority of St Paul students chose to go there versus Coeburn ...Don't know how many of those may have been football players... Anyone know where Reid Edmonds chose....one of the best players in the Cumberland from St Paul?

Castlewood. From what I am hearing a good portion of SP skill position players went to CW it seems like and the linemen went to Eastside.

The 3 main skill players Castlewood is picking up from SP are Edmonds WR, Trevor Hileman QB and Addison Rasnick RB. Twin Springs returns most of their team from last year and finished out the season strong so they should be contenders. Defending champs Coeburn -> Eastside will also be one of the favorites.

The Cumberland should be really competitive. Castlewood picked up the good skill players at St. Paul which will help them alot losing their QB and the workhorse FB.

Eastside lost key pieces, especially in Tyler Courtney, but probably have the most depth.

Twin Springs only lost a couple of players on each side of the ball. They have speed at RB, and height at WR with some hardnosed young talent too.

Thomas Waler returns a speed demon in Cody Cain, and Corey Brewer isn't a slouch. Not sure what they return in the trenches.

Rye Cove lost 2 lineman, but probably still return the best line in the district. If they can find some speed, they will be tough within the district. They are big in the trenches, and FB and a QB with a good arm. They just need to find a breakaway threat to keep teams from packing it in.

Ervinton has some good young talent. Depth is always a killer in Nora.

As a Graham fan I'm anxious to see how Graham does in the new MED.

Do they have a chance to win the district in its first year there?

I don't know much about Grayson, Bland, Galax, Fort Chiswell, or Narrows. What are their teams like?

As a Graham fan I'm anxious to see how Graham does in the new MED.

Do they have a chance to win the district in its first year there?

I don't know much about Grayson, Bland, Galax, Fort Chiswell, or Narrows. What are their teams like?

I think Graham does have a solid chance, but any team that graduates ONE four-year senior should...

I think Graham does have a solid chance, but any team that graduates ONE four-year senior should...

Galax should be the team to beat in the MED, for sure. They are returning a lot to a team that made a deep run into the playoffs last year. Beyond that, I'd say Graham, Fort Chiswell and Grayson County should all be fighting it out for 2nd place. Narrows and Bland should compete for the bottom spot.

I dont think Haysi has what it takes this year to win the BDD but it wouldnt suprise me to see them in the top 3.

LPD - Union, that running game is gonna be hard to stop! Defense may be their weak point but I think they will be better than what alot of people think

CMD - GC, Lebanon is down and no one else is ready to step up

BDD - Honaker, return alot and will be tough to stop(as always), Hurley will make a push

CD - Castlewood, they got the best players from St Paul. Eastside, Rye Cove, Thomas Walker and Twin Springs will all be right there

SWD - Richlands by a mile

I'm going to sau the MED will look something like this...

1. Galax

2-4 toss up with Graham, Fort Chiswell and Grayson Co.

5. Narrows

6. Bland

*I've heard that Fort has lost a lot from last season...nevertheless, a vastly improved team from the past couple of seasons.

Grayson used to dominate this district...while usually ending up 6-4 or 7-3 (losing out of district matchups usually).

Galax is returning a lot from a team that went deep into the playoffs...though, they did lose a couple of skill guys, I believe they are the clear front runners. (They are definitely the team to beat in this district now, overtaking Grayson Co.)

I must say that with the vastly improved Fort Chiswell teams of the past couple of years and Galax really becoming a contender and the addition of Graham, this district is not too shabby anymore.

If the top teams continue to schedule tough out of district competion and continue to improve, it could be a tough district.

As a Graham fan, I can't wait to see some of the matchups, especially with Galax, Grayson and Fort.

As for Graham, my hope is they'll end up with a winning record 6-4 would be nice...maybe even 7-3(at best)...

I do predict Graham to at least break even this year and post a 5-5 record....or better.

Maybe these guys will surprise us all, they've been working awfully hard this off-season and there is some talent at the skill positions. The line play is the big question for Graham, I know there's a couple of good prospects on the line, but I guess we'll have to wait and see when practice starts.

Edited by futbolking

Wish I knew more about the MED to make a prediction for Graham. I do think they lose to Bluefield, Richlands and Princeton. I see Marion and Tazewell going either way. Graham will be much better in another year or two. This year I will be happy if they are competitive.

Wish I knew more about the MED to make a prediction for Graham. I do think they lose to Bluefield, Richlands and Princeton. I see Marion and Tazewell going either way. Graham will be much better in another year or two. This year I will be happy if they are competitive.

I think L's most likely will come from Bluefield, Richlands, Princeton, Galax.... if they can pull the upset against one of those teams, that'd be great. All of the other contests are winnable, IMO....