New Rule!

dmspartan

So sports like football and volleyball will get the least amount of practice time overall while sports like baseball and softball will get the most practice time (assuming enough come out to practice that early for those sports)?

So sports like football and volleyball will get the least amount of practice time overall while sports like baseball and softball will get the most practice time (assuming enough come out to practice that early for those sports)?

Not necessarily. You can practice basketball in baseball and football season. Hard to practice baseball in the dead of winter.

I would actually think volleyball and basketball (indoor sports) would benefit the most.

There is actually a 10 day window they call a dead period where no other sport can practice except for the ones in season. For example right now it's only football and volleyball time. There is also a stipulation that school districts can make tighter restrictions on their schools.

There is actually a 10 day window they call a dead period where no other sport can practice except for the ones in season. For example right now it's only football and volleyball time.

What about golf????

There is actually a 10 day window they call a dead period where no other sport can practice except for the ones in season. For example right now it's only football and volleyball time. There is also a stipulation that school districts can make tighter restrictions on their schools.

I've seen schools already having basketball meetings and two a days are going on...while I don't think it's a bad idea to let kids train for something year round, I don't think you should be having mandatory meetings and practice if the kids are playing other in season sports....no need to make a kid choose which one is more important, they should be allowed to enjoy them all if they want.

From a coaches perspective, I like the new rule. THe 10-10-6 rule as we are calling it, creates 3 dead periods, which consist of two 10 day periods and one 6 day period in July.

Coaches are to have no contact in any manner whatsoever with players in their respective sports during the first 10 days of the sport prior to their's and 10 days to the sport 10 days after theirs. There is also a 6 day dead period during July.

For example, basketball coaches may not meet with players during the first 2 weeks of football season and they cannot meet with them during the first 2 weeks during baseball season as well as 6 days in June.

By establishing DEAD PERIODS, they basically opened up the door for year around practice and workout sessions. In football they can do this also, but they will not be allowed to use equipment, so 7 on 7 and would be a go.

In my opinion, you are going to see how this could be a detrement to small schools in this area, because athletes will start "specializing" in one sport, which in turn will hurt the "sharing" of athletes that small schools need to do.

I could easily see a kid who has decent potential in basktball forfeiting his football time because he realizes that other kids who don't play football are working on their game and the fear that he may lose a starting position or playing time cause him to drop football.......naturally this applies the other way around also.

Going to be interesting, however I do think that coaches need to factor in the BURNOUT that might occur.

In my opinion, wt. lifting and conidtioning should continue as always, except now coaches can use sport specific training whereas in the past they were not permitted to do so.

i'd say you are correct...and there will have to be some more work between programs at the schools as well, grundy already has been dealing with it as wrestling is year round and every now and then you get a kid who wont play football because they either dont want to risk injury for wrestling or want to train for just wrestling or doesnt want to lift and put on weight....or whatever the reason...i've heard them all.

then on the other side, year round activity should keep kids more active and produce a more skilled and better fit athlete.

Seems to me there are schools who have been practicing year-round already and have gotten away with it - this just makes it official. And the "dead" periods can be used for "chalk-talk" sessions, looks at other teams on video, etc.

And the "dead" periods can be used for "chalk-talk" sessions, looks at other teams on video, etc.

Sorry, but they have addressed that issue...

Dead periods mean absolutely no contact whatsoever with an athlete in regards to that particular sport. No meetings, no phone calls, no video, no wt. room, no conditioning, nada, zip, zero, zilch.....nothing.

Edited by bucfan64

Dead periods mean absolutely no contact whatsoever with an athlete in regards to that particular sport. No meetings, no phone calls, no video, no wt. room, no conditioning, nada, zip, zero, zilch.....nothing.

The schools who have gotten away with practicing out-of-season sports all year-round aren't going to change a thing they've been doing all along.

The schools who have gotten away with practicing out-of-season sports all year-round aren't going to change a thing they've been doing all along.

I don't recall posting anything that implied that schools would change what they were doing.

You posed a question and I answered it, according to the concept of using the 10-10-6 days to study film and such, that is addressed in the RULE.

I didn't say that the rule would be honored by everyone, just that the rule addressed those issues.

I wonder how many schools will pay attention to this..

I wonder how many schools will pay attention to this..

I think the dead periods are put in place during the next season's "try out" periods to protect the players. At smaller schools multisport atheletes are stretched pretty thin as it is. But how many schools paid attention to the out of season practice rule as it was. This is a whole new ball game that I am sure some will use to make their teams better, I just hope we don't end up with specializing in one sport.