George Wythe...New D1 Threat

SWVAFB

GW dropped down to D1 this yr, along with Chilhowie.

Some on other boards are picking GW to make some BIG

noise in the run for the State Title this year. CHS is down,

but from what I hear GW is loaded....any opinions????

I think calling GW a D1 threat is an understatement. They were a very competitive D2 and at the D1 level automatically become one of the top 3-4 teams in the state imo. Radford is in that same category, those two schools probably benefited more from the new setup than anyone.

Chilhowie has a strong program and will have alot of success in D1 but I dont think they are on the same level as GW and Radford, still tough tho.

I wonder how those schools that were forced up to D2 are gonna fair?

I think calling GW a D1 threat is an understatement. They were a very competitive D2 and at the D1 level automatically become one of the top 3-4 teams in the state imo. Radford is in that same category, those two schools probably benefited more from the new setup than anyone.

Chilhowie has a strong program and will have alot of success in D1 but I dont think they are on the same level as GW and Radford, still tough tho.

I wonder how those schools that were forced up to D2 are gonna fair?

Who was forced up?

Will be interesting to see the first game against Tazewell. With a few exceptions they were usually close outcomes.

Also not knocking GW in the least but I wonder how much longer we will play them as Tazewell usually doesn't play D1 schools?

Will be interesting to see the first game against Tazewell. With a few exceptions they were usually close outcomes.

Also not knocking GW in the least but I wonder how much longer we will play them as Tazewell usually doesn't play D1 schools?

I don't see this being an issue. GW will accumulate a great amount of points for Tazewell and is more than enough competition. Tazewell will no doubt be D2 before too much longer anyway.

D1 will be tough this year. Burton and Clintwood are always good and galax should have their best team in a long time. GW is expected to be very good and Radford usually gets better every game. Should be a fun year for D1 fans.

I don't see this being an issue. GW will accumulate a great amount of points for Tazewell and is more than enough competition. Tazewell will no doubt be D2 before too much longer anyway.

I won't debate the competition issue in the least and I have always enjoyed that game can't really say anything bad about GW especially now that I can get to the field easily and find a quick easy parking to get out of there fast :) I'm just saying that we normally don't play D1 teams in the past. If a team drops they usually tried to replace them with at least a D2.

Riverheads moved up.

Riverheads and Buffalo Gap. RHS has over 500 students and BGHS has over 600, winning state championships over schools like Clintwood(300), JIBurton(280) and Eastern Montgomery(300). Im just curious as to how they will do against competition their own size.

I won't debate the competition issue in the least and I have always enjoyed that game can't really say anything bad about GW especially now that I can get to the field easily and find a quick easy parking to get out of there fast :) I'm just saying that we normally don't play D1 teams in the past. If a team drops they usually tried to replace them with at least a D2.

Points wise it makes sense for a D3 not to play a D1 but for competitions sake its a good matchup

Points wise it makes sense for a D3 not to play a D1 but for competitions sake its a good matchup
Points wise there is no differance between playing a Div 1 and Div 2 team (That change happened 4 or 5 years ago)

Points wise there is no differance between playing a Div 1 and Div 2 team (That change happened 4 or 5 years ago)

Are you 100% on that?

If it changed its only been in the past couple of years

Edited by redtiger

Guest Chubz
They're beating GC right now, but then again it IS a scrimmage...so who knows if our starters are playing

Unless I'm mistaken, the starters for both teams played for the entire duration of the game. Wythe looked very powerful at the jamboree today. They have size and talent on both sides of the ball. VA High was taking it to them at the beginning of their match-up, however, but as I was leaving Wythe finally broke loose and took the lead 13-7. I didn't stay for the rest of the game, unfortunately. It will be interesting to see how they compete at the D1 level. I was surprised at VA High's tenacity, too. Like I said: They were hanging in there with them!

You're mistaken - it's a scrimmage and I believe it was treated as such. At one point GC had two backup RB's playing on the defensive line (spoke with a GC player after the scrimmage who was commenting on just this) at times as well as other people in positions they don't normally play. What people don't understand is that there's a lot of experimenting going on during the pre-season and yes, the week before the opening game is still pre-season. GW played mostly subs/backups against Virginia High, one GW coach even resorting to using a timeout to piece together a defense - that's when I got up to leave as he cleared the bench of those that hadn't been in pretty much. Virginia High then scored on the very next play - it was apparent to most that were paying attention LOL. Bottom line people put way too much into these scrimmages as far as how they believe teams will fare during the regular season, it happens every year on this message boards as well as on others.

Guest Chubz
You're mistaken - it's a scrimmage and I believe it was treated as such. At one point GC had two backup RB's playing on the defensive line (spoke with a GC player after the scrimmage who was commenting on just this) at times as well as other people in positions they don't normally play.

Didn't catch that. Thanks. Obviously it was treated as a scrimmage in multiple ways, but sometimes you can't catch everything that happens. You're right, though, that you can't put too much stock into scrimmages and sometimes folks do. It'll be interesting to compare next week's performances to the ones we saw today!

Edited by Chubz

Guest Chubz
You're mistaken - it's a scrimmage and I believe it was treated as such. At one point GC had two backup RB's playing on the defensive line (spoke with a GC player after the scrimmage who was commenting on just this) at times as well as other people in positions they don't normally play.

Didn't catch that. Thanks for the heads up. Obviously it was treated as a scrimmage in multiple ways, but sometimes you can't catch everything that happens. You're right, though, that you can't put too much stock into scrimmages and sometimes folks do. It'll be interesting to compare next week's performances to the ones we saw today!

For one, GC went for a 4th down on their own 21 which resulted in 7 points for GW. That wouldn't have happened in real time. Secondly, GC ran a freshman running back against GW. GC will take their lumps with the schedule ahead of them, but they'll be just fine.