Carroll vs Galax benefit

sixcat

This is my first post so, hello all. As for the game, Galax won 36-7 and played very sloppy football. Carroll is very weak and very slow and Galax will be a tough out in Group A Division 1 if they can clean up play in a few areas. They seemed to have the most problems with the QB center exchange, 5 or 6 fumbles there. Carroll could not have had more than 80 yards offense. The lone score came on busted kickoff coverage that Galax coaches will see on film and correct. I am not sure what Carroll can do to correct its lack of physical strength and team speed. Galax completely dominated the line of scrimmage and pushed Carroll players all over the field.

This is my first post so, hello all. As for the game, Galax won 36-7 and played very sloppy football. Carroll is very weak and very slow and Galax will be a tough out in Group A Division 1 if they can clean up play in a few areas. They seemed to have the most problems with the QB center exchange, 5 or 6 fumbles there. Carroll could not have had more than 80 yards offense. The lone score came on busted kickoff coverage that Galax coaches will see on film and correct. I am not sure what Carroll can do to correct its lack of physical strength and team speed. Galax completely dominated the line of scrimmage and pushed Carroll players all over the field.

Welcome!

Are you a Galax fan? If so, please continue to post here since Graham will be in the MED...need to get more MED fans on the board.

I don't think Carroll Co. is going to be too bad this year, but they aren't going to be very good either. Galax, on the other hand, is pretty loaded for a D-1 team.

Welcome!

Are you a Galax fan? If so, please continue to post here since Graham will be in the MED...need to get more MED fans on the board.

Thanks, I am a Galax fan. I am glad to see the MED getting better. The addition of Graham will bring the level of play up across the board. Galax is pretty loaded and I know this is supposed to be a "scrimmage" but they were anything but sharp. If memory serves, they had 6 fumbled QB/center exchanges and 4 turnovers. Carroll only had 2 turnovers but they were beaten badly on the line of scrimmage and were surprisingly slow.

Carroll is very weak and very slow and Galax will be a tough out in Group A Division 1 if they can clean up play in a few areas... Galax completely dominated the line of scrimmage and pushed Carroll players all over the field.

You're partly right. Carroll is slow. They are always slow. In their best years, they are slow. Slow + inexperience on the O-line = 36 to 7.

That was magnified by the fact that, 1 thru 11, Galax may have the best combination of athletic ability and experience that they've ever had.

I am not sure what Carroll can do to correct its lack of ... team speed.

Um, recruit? Annex east Galax?

Carroll is in exactly the same boat as last year. Rebuilding an O line. It will get there, it did last year, but they may take some lumps with their early schedule.

I truly hope Galax can stay healthy this year, especially at QB and OL, because they are looking at a very special season. Athletes out the yang, multi-year starters, excellent coaching, this could be a great year for them.

Welcome sixcat and I would say that your summary of the game was spot on. There is no question that Galax is well coached (despite some sloppy exchanges which are not uncommon at all given that it's a new starter and they snapped a ton of stuff of the shotgun over the last couple of years) and has very talented "skill" players. They did "put it" to Giles last week 28-0 (or four scores to NONE). They certainly could have beaten Carroll worse-no question. This is not exactly coming out of the blue, given their success last season and excellent play-off showing. Best of luck to the Maroon Tide throughout the 2011 season.

As for CCHS, the situation with this year's team isn't out of the blue either. The lost VERY good leadership among their seniors and the leadership factor within teams is often overlooked at the high school level when counting returning starters. We have a 10th grader at QB who made his first start and held up well considering everything that is thrown at a new starter. The early schedule is BRUTAL to break in new players/starters with a game at Bassett and home games with Mt. Airy and Christiansburg. That could quickly lead to being in a deep hole that early in the season. As for being slow, I'm not necessarily arguing against that statement as much as I would suggest that the defensive scheme and philosophy are putting kids in difficult situations. Sixcat mentioned that linemen were pushed around all over the field and he's right. When any team starts undersized linemen at this level, that can happen against quality competition. The theory of using quick, speedy guys, independent of size or football talent, can make for some disappointing outcomes. Then again, it's not like they can poop players, recruit, or sign free agents; they are who they are. We will see what kind of leadership these guys have, as losing often puts that feature of character front and center! My money says they will play hard (always have), but wins will be hard to find on this year's schedule.

Welcome sixcat and I would say that your summary of the game was spot on. There is no question that Galax is well coached (despite some sloppy exchanges which are not uncommon at all given that it's a new starter and they snapped a ton of stuff of the shotgun over the last couple of years) and has very talented "skill" players. They did "put it" to Giles last week 28-0 (or four scores to NONE). They certainly could have beaten Carroll worse-no question. This is not exactly coming out of the blue, given their success last season and excellent play-off showing. Best of luck to the Maroon Tide throughout the 2011 season.

As for CCHS, the situation with this year's team isn't out of the blue either. The lost VERY good leadership among their seniors and the leadership factor within teams is often overlooked at the high school level when counting returning starters. We have a 10th grader at QB who made his first start and held up well considering everything that is thrown at a new starter. The early schedule is BRUTAL to break in new players/starters with a game at Bassett and home games with Mt. Airy and Christiansburg. That could quickly lead to being in a deep hole that early in the season. As for being slow, I'm not necessarily arguing against that statement as much as I would suggest that the defensive scheme and philosophy are putting kids in difficult situations. Sixcat mentioned that linemen were pushed around all over the field and he's right. When any team starts undersized linemen at this level, that can happen against quality competition. The theory of using quick, speedy guys, independent of size or football talent, can make for some disappointing outcomes. Then again, it's not like they can poop players, recruit, or sign free agents; they are who they are. We will see what kind of leadership these guys have, as losing often puts that feature of character front and center! My money says they will play hard (always have), but wins will be hard to find on this year's schedule.

I don't like to get caught up in mentioning players by name or position because they are still high school kids and people on these sites can tend to get personal (or at least that is the way it was where I am from) but Carroll's QB situation looks bright for a few years as long as he stays healthy. He was the lone bright spot on offense for them. Carroll does have a brutal schedule, especially early.

Yes, I am with you on not being overly critical of high school players in any discussions, let alone a message board. I am also not much for trying to make projections on future potential as there are far too many variables in play. Most are doing exactly what they were coached to do and are either at the advantage or disadvantage of playing with talent (or lack thereof) around them and within a particular scheme (which can either help or hinder their progression).

I agree the QB position looks bright (variables aside) and it doesn't hurt to have his father, a former QB at Galax no less, on the coaching Staff at Carroll.