ONE day before the big game....and nothing?

futbolking

Come on, we usually hear a lot more talk this close to game time...what's up? Why is everybody so tight lipped?

On a side note...in the BDT John O Neal was quoted as saying... "We have a student population of about 350".....that can't be right... I thought it was about 520....??? It was about 650 when I was there...

Come on, we usually hear a lot more talk this close to game time...what's up? Why is everybody so tight lipped?

On a side note...in the BDT John O Neal was quoted as saying... "We have a student population of about 350".....that can't be right... I thought it was about 520....??? It was about 650 when I was there...

figure most just dont know how to take this game this year with all the enthusiasm at ghs with new coach and new attitude with the football team wva just does not know what to think maybe. win or lose i will be proud of this bunch because from what i have read they have worked real hard this year and giving it their all. this is all i ask of this team right now dont give up keep hitting and giving it your best each entire game and soon many will see the new old gmen at games.

I bet he said 530 and the BDT flipped the numbers...350...dyslexia sometimes gets the in way...

Other than what a few homers think, I don't think that most REAL fans have any clue as to what to expect from either team on Friday night. Too many questions on both sides...

However, I think I have to agree with some of the homers...Bluefield rolls...40-13...

One thing I did notice looking over the roster this morning...Graham is small...everywhere...

Tallest kid is 6'1.5"...and he's a FRESHMAN (188 lbs)...Beaver blood, I think...

11 kids over 200, most just barely...and only four kids over 250...

Guest The Variable
One thing I did notice looking over the roster this morning...Graham is small...everywhere...

Tallest kid is 6'1.5"...and he's a FRESHMAN (188 lbs)...Beaver blood, I think...

So was Poquoson last year.

Other than what a few homers think, I don't think that most REAL fans have any clue as to what to expect from either team on Friday night. Too many questions on both sides...

However, I think I have to agree with some of the homers...Bluefield rolls...40-13...

That

I for one am curious to see what both teams have. Tons of unknowns going in this year.

Exactly why I don't think anybody can predict a blowout for Bluefield. I liked what I saw at the very first scrimmage. I just think that Graham will be able to score points.....I'm not sure if they can stop Bluefield....Maybe I'm just being a big homer, but I liked what I saw in that GW scrimmage.... Didn't like what I saw in the other scrimmages...but then again, the coaches were trying all kinds of formations and 3 different qb's..... (Maybe the coaches saw all they needed to see in that first scrimmage....and were working on other aspects that they are weak at...exactly what scrimmages should be for...)

They are small and undersized, but the offense looked pretty good against a very good GW team and the defense seems to be improved from last year (it has to be).....The line got pushed around against Gate City...but that's probably expected.

I understand it's a new coach and a new system...but these are kids we're talking about, on both teams. I just have a gut feeling that it'll be closer than what everybody is saying....

What can I say, I'm a homer.

Edited by futbolking

The game could be exciting, but will likely be one of the most underwhelming games in the series based on fundamentals, talent, etc. Hopefully the Beavers act like they want to be on the field, which wasn't the case in Pulaski last Friday.

Yeah, I was extremely unimpressed with Bluefield in Pulaski....just don't understand why everybody is predicting another blow out....but oh well...Hopefully we'll get a good game out of it....

Graham is definitely gonna need a couple more years to get back to competing with some of the teams even in their own district....Grayson, Galax and Fort are no slouches this year....Narz and Bland may be victories...

OH, another side note: The Roanoke Times did their district previews this year....the MED was previewed....Graham wasn't in it...thought it was funny. Somebody hasn't done their research. Top notch journalism at it's best.

So was Poquoson last year.

Poqouson pulled the old rope a dope with that program they put out...there's no way those ids were that small....they were big and athletic...but not an ounce of fat on them...

I told my brother when we pulled up at the game, that they had some big boys....he said not according to their program....when we got in the stadium, it was obvious...that program had to be wrong....

Guest The Variable
Poqouson pulled the old rope a dope with that program they put out...there's no way those ids were that small....they were big and athletic...but not an ounce of fat on them...

I told my brother when we pulled up at the game, that they had some big boys....he said not according to their program....when we got in the stadium, it was obvious...that program had to be wrong....

The program wasnt wrong, those players just play about as wide open and crazy as a heavy metal movie. They have to, they were the smallest team every game last season in HR.

I love watching teams like that. If Graham can step up and play bigger than they are, they could be the most exciting team to watch this year for folks like me who enjoy that.

i think its crazy graham has any where from 350 to 450 students and bluefield is looking at moving to triple A i mean its hard to beat a school 2 times your size so i thank bluefield is going to keep winning over and over again unless graham has anymore NFL running back i dont know about

i think its crazy graham has any where from 350 to 450 students and bluefield is looking at moving to triple A i mean its hard to beat a school 2 times your size so i thank bluefield is going to keep winning over and over again unless graham has anymore NFL running back i dont know about

You are uninformed.

Graham has more than 350-450, more like 553 (in grades 9-12)...at least, that's what the VHSL has them listed at for the current R&R. Also, AAA in WV is around the 625 mark (for three grades). Bluefield is listed at 518 students (three grades) and is the 16th largest AA school in WV out of 40 WV AA school. If you extrapolate the 518 students into 4 grades, Bluefield has around 690 students in grades 9-12.

Bluefield does not have that many more students than Graham...and they definitely are not "a school 2 times your size"...

Grow up, get over it, move on, or get the hammer...you know what I'm talking about...

That's dumbfounding. 6'1.5'' and 250 would've made you the next-to-smallest person on Graham's 2001 offensive line. How time flies...

If Richlands's coaches relied on a football program to prepare for Poquoson, they deserved to lose. Of course, I'm positive they didn't. Programs mean nothing, and have been misstating players' attributes since the first one ever printed.

If Richlands's coaches relied on a football program to prepare for Poquoson, they deserved to lose. Of course, I'm positive they didn't. Programs mean nothing, and have been misstating players' attributes since the first one ever printed.

Exactly... we were discussing how small they were (according to the program) on the drive down...when we saw them...there was no way that program was right...no matter what others say, they weren't that small...at least the starters....

Guest The Variable
Exactly... we were discussing how small they were (according to the program) on the drive down...when we saw them...there was no way that program was right...no matter what others say, they weren't that small...at least the starters....

Dont correct me. You can convince yourself of whatever will make you feel better. Ive seen them up close, my FiL went to every game. They were a rather small team, and markedly smaller than Richlands. Its proof that size doesnt always matter. The Islanders played with a lot of heart, accostomed to being at that particular advantage/disadvantage they were playing in their niche. Sure they were athletic, but are you saying those guys over at Richlands were not? Ill call BS here and now on that, especially with that Devon kid yall got. Or are you saying that all the other SWVA teams arent athletic and Richlands wasnt used to playing a team like that? Yall are lucky, there isnt a central VA team anywhere near the class that your region or HR puts out. I wish I had a football team half as talented.

I really wish youd get over that game. All PHS fans/players/coaches talked about how talented RHS was and how evenly the teams were matched. It wasnt about how well each team was scouted or what gameplan was made, both teams took their best strategy that had worked for them all season.

I swear its like talking about Bradshaw.

Edited by The Variable