Playoffs

Gym

Richlands used to be in D4 somewhere around 4 years ago.

I wish that they still were in it so they could play teams that are more their caliber. No disrespect meant. I just think it means more when you beat quality teams that are on the same level as you are. Killing teams week in and week out would get old to me.

Richlands used to be in D4 somewhere around 4 years ago.

I wish that they still were in it so they could play teams that are more their caliber. No disrespect meant. I just think it means more when you beat quality teams that are on the same level as you are. Killing teams week in and week out would get old to me.

No matter if we were D4 we would still have the same schedule as we do now. We haven't been beating teams by 40 week in and week out this year.

Actually, being Div. 4 would mean playing a WEAKER schedule.

2 or 3 games vs. teams that are TWO Divisions below you, only a couple of games against teams in the same Div., NONE against schools in a bigger Div.

More ppl. would be conplaining about our "weak" schedule than are now.

No matter if we were D4 we would still have the same schedule as we do now. We haven't been beating teams by 40 week in and week out this year.

Being in D4 you would still have the same 5 district games and prolly still be playing the 5 non conference teams you play now... Only difference would be is when you got to the playoffs...

Well as far as being fair goes, Richlands is ranked #1 this week in the http://www.vshlreference.com/ratings in Division 3. Among the Top 25 teams in Div 3, Richlands has the 3rd lowest number of Students. If we were in Division 4, out of the top 40 teams ranked, the lowest number of students is 953. So actually we would be at a big Disadvantage! I agree though, i would love to see Christiansburg, Salem, Northside, etc on the schedule every year, Would be alot more exciting to watch.

Well as far as being fair goes, Richlands is ranked #1 this week in the http://www.vshlreference.com/ratings in Division 3. Among the Top 25 teams in Div 3, Richlands has the 3rd lowest number of Students. If we were in Division 4, out of the top 40 teams ranked, the lowest number of students is 953. So actually we would be at a big Disadvantage! I agree though, i would love to see Christiansburg, Salem, Northside, etc on the schedule every year, Would be alot more exciting to watch.

I agree who wants to go 10 and 0 every year and not win the state. I think Richlands should get a few teams like that becasue they are going to kill everyone in the SWD. It seems like the starters play maybe 2 whole games a year and that doesn't help when you meet tougher teams in the playoffs.

Tough schedules make better ball teams. Look at the 90's Powell Valley schedules. Every out of district team we played was bigger teams. Lee, Richlands, Radford, and Gatecity were all bigger teams by far. Lee was D4 double A, Richlands D3 Double A, Radford D3 double A, and Gatecity was D3 Double A. Thatis the reason when we stepped on the field vs eastern teams in state games we dominated. If Richlands could put Salem, Cave Spring, Christiansburg, ect on their schedule then it would tune up their ball team IMO

Tough schedules make better ball teams. Look at the 90's Powell Valley schedules. Every out of district team we played was bigger teams. Lee, Richlands, Radford, and Gatecity were all bigger teams by far. Lee was D4 double A, Richlands D3 Double A, Radford D3 double A, and Gatecity was D3 Double A. Thatis the reason when we stepped on the field vs eastern teams in state games we dominated. If Richlands could put Salem, Cave Spring, Christiansburg, ect on their schedule then it would tune up their ball team IMO

Richlands played Christiansburg in the 90's. I don't see teams from the Roanoke area coming back down here to play simply for the fact that they're enough teams up there to play.

I agree who wants to go 10 and 0 every year and not win the state. I think Richlands should get a few teams like that becasue they are going to kill everyone in the SWD. It seems like the starters play maybe 2 whole games a year and that doesn't help when you meet tougher teams in the playoffs.

I would rather go 10-0 and not win state as to go 0-10 and simply not win. many things go into a state championship. You gotta be good and you better be lucky!

IMO a "tough" schedule doesent help that much. As long as a team is really challenged 3-4 times a year that enough. Im not saying play a bunch of pushovers but everyone says that teams should play an very difficult schedule and I just dont buy it.

Now Richlands does play a softer schedule based on the quality of their team but alot of schools dont want to travel to Richlands. Haysi and Grundy have faced a similar situation(albeit on a lower talent level).

Has Richlands "weak" schedule hurt them in the past 6-7 years?

Not trying to start anything here but I can't just sit here and read this without a comment.

You cannot tell me that you wouldn't love to switch seasons with Richlands over the last 10 years !

Listen, I am not saying anything about Tazewell, but to say " who would want to go 10-0 every year and not win state " is a little off. At least that means the blues have been competitive every year with whoever they played.

I would much rather be winning every year and be in the playoffs and make it to the final game then wishing we were ! And we have not just beaten the teams in our district and around here. Ask all the teams we have faced in the playoffs, Cave Spring, and Brookville, Happy Valley, Martinsville and all the others we have beaten in the playoffs.

Of course we wish we would have won a couple of more championships in that span, but at least the blues made it there ! They had a chance to win in every championship game they have played in except maybe one.

Richlands has tried to schedule some of the teams from out Roanoke way over the last few years, but they have little reason to travel all the way here. They have plenty of AA schools up there to fill out their schedule without all the travel and expense of coming here. We did add Pulaski Co & Patrick Co this year although Patrick Co seems to be down now.

The Roanoke teams have zero incentive to play Richlands or any other school that far away from the Roanoke area.

Roanoke teams only have 4 or 5 non district games to schedule. With 2 dozen AA schools to choose from it is easy to fill your schedule with the level of competition you want that also brings a good crowd that buys your tickets.

Pulaski is about as far from home as most ADs will want to work with and that is only because they typically travel very well.

Richlands suffers isolation from the better teams because other teams just simply can't justify traveling that far.

Not trying to start anything here but I can't just sit here and read this without a comment.

You cannot tell me that you wouldn't love to switch seasons with Richlands over the last 10 years !

Listen, I am not saying anything about Tazewell, but to say " who would want to go 10-0 every year and not win state " is a little off. At least that means the blues have been competitive every year with whoever they played.

I would much rather be winning every year and be in the playoffs and make it to the final game then wishing we were ! And we have not just beaten the teams in our district and around here. Ask all the teams we have faced in the playoffs, Cave Spring, and Brookville, Happy Valley, Martinsville and all the others we have beaten in the playoffs.

Of course we wish we would have won a couple of more championships in that span, but at least the blues made it there ! They had a chance to win in every championship game they have played in except maybe one.

Richlands has tried to schedule some of the teams from out Roanoke way over the last few years, but they have little reason to travel all the way here. They have plenty of AA schools up there to fill out their schedule without all the travel and expense of coming here. We did add Pulaski Co & Patrick Co this year although Patrick Co seems to be down now.

I'm not saying that I wanted to switch but the goal for Richlands every year is to win state they are at a place when Region championships are a everyday thing what 6 or 7 in a row, but how many state titles in that span. Not downing Richlands at all, I just thought that if they were to play a few teams that we better it would get them ready for the playoffs

There is no one local AA team that can give them a game

Seems like single A Union can. Cburg, Salem, etc.. is not going to come all the way to Richlands when they got all the AA schools within 30min or so. In the playoffs do you call Liberty, Brookville, Cave Spring, etc.. not good competition? Playoffs is what it is...........can't change that..........you got to remember Richlands is one of the smallest schools in D3.

Seems like single A Union can. Cburg, Salem, etc.. is not going to come all the way to Richlands when they got all the AA schools within 30min or so. In the playoffs do you call Liberty, Brookville, Cave Spring, etc.. not good competition? Playoffs is what it is...........can't change that..........you got to remember Richlands is one of the smallest schools in D3.

I would love to see Salem and Richlands in a game again ... Talk about rivalries!