WVU Fans:

hokie07

I think it would be a good and bad move for West Virginia. We would be leaving the Big East, where the talent is not that great and they could possibly be losing their automatic BCS bid anyways. We would be playing against better teams hands down almost every single week. We would be the most Northern SEC team and we would be getting tons of recruits from the NOVA/DC/PA/OHIO area just by telling them they can play in the SEC without having to move 8+ hours away. The SEC is without a doubt the best football conference in the country. I'm sure the money we'd make in the SEC is a hell of a lot more than what we're doing in the Big East. Our stadium and gameday has an SEC feel to it according to some ESPN anchors as well as SEC teams that have come up to watch us play them.

Negatives are; it's the SEC and you have to play your A game every single week or you will lose. Not many of the schools we play are that close (Florida,Bama,Auburn,A&M,LSU) so that will probably take a toll on the players when we have to travel to two games that far away in a row. A lot of SEC fans are proper-like. They dress up for the games in clothes i'd only wear to a funeral or wedding. Girls wear sundresses (which I can't even begin to tell you how much I love) But most WVU fans simply wear jerseys or tshirts and blue jeans or jorts. I don't think that's so much a bad thing, but it will be different than what we're use too.

I think the biggest thing I'm worried about, atleast for the first few years if we were going to the SEC would be tradition and the every week brutal schedule we'd have every week. Ollie Luck in my mind is one of the best AD's in the entire country, many fans of other teams feel the same way. What he's done in the short time he's been here has been impressive in my mind. He's brought in one of the greatest OC's in the past few years in Coach Holgs and I even think our DC Casteel signed a extension earlier this year.

Getting back to the tradition, every SEC school has something they do that's special. Auburn does the toilet paper in the tree thing (well, until the thing finally dies. You can thank Harvey Updyke for that). Bammers do the Rammer Jammer cheer. Auburn also does the Tiger walk. Which WVU started doing this season as well. We kind of also ripped off Howards Rock which Clemson touches (Clemson is in the ACC, I know) But we do that with a piece of coal now. Mississippi State does the cowbells. I like the fact Luck is trying to instill some traditions at WVU as well.

Plus, I think the SEC has like 4 or 5 more sports than the Big East does. So we'd have to put together all those teams. So not really sure how'd that work out.

It would be good for WVU to leave the Big East because it's currently a sinking ship. Will WVU end up being the band who keeps playing as the ship is sinking? I hope not. But I have 100% faith in Luck to make the right moves having to do with the University.

So yes, I think it's a good move for us to get out of the Big East and the reasons are obvious.

Why not WVU in the ACC? Its a much better fit imo. WVU fits geographically and keep rivalries intact(keeps the ackyard Brawl and renews the Black Diamond Trophy game)

ACC could still get Syracuse, Pitt and either UConn or Rutgers to expand northward.

I miss VT vs WV. I like Pitt and Syracuse and I really dont think it matters if the ACC goes after UConn or Rutgers, I would prefer UConn because neither bring a very much in Football(although both are up and comming) but UConn brings alot in Basketball. At the same time if you bring in Syracuse and Rutgers the ACC would have a nice foothold in NY

On a side note I think when the ACC raided the Big East the 1st time they envisioned this further expansion(imo thats why they didnt do North/South divisions, so when they add more North teams they dont have to shift schools around to keep it N/S

Edited by redtiger

I think it would be a good and bad move for West Virginia. We would be leaving the Big East, where the talent is not that great and they could possibly be losing their automatic BCS bid anyways. We would be playing against better teams hands down almost every single week. We would be the most Northern SEC team and we would be getting tons of recruits from the NOVA/DC/PA/OHIO area just by telling them they can play in the SEC without having to move 8+ hours away. The SEC is without a doubt the best football conference in the country. I'm sure the money we'd make in the SEC is a hell of a lot more than what we're doing in the Big East. Our stadium and gameday has an SEC feel to it according to some ESPN anchors as well as SEC teams that have come up to watch us play them.

Negatives are; it's the SEC and you have to play your A game every single week or you will lose. Not many of the schools we play are that close (Florida,Bama,Auburn,A&M,LSU) so that will probably take a toll on the players when we have to travel to two games that far away in a row. A lot of SEC fans are proper-like. They dress up for the games in clothes i'd only wear to a funeral or wedding. Girls wear sundresses (which I can't even begin to tell you how much I love) But most WVU fans simply wear jerseys or tshirts and blue jeans or jorts. I don't think that's so much a bad thing, but it will be different than what we're use too.

I think the biggest thing I'm worried about, atleast for the first few years if we were going to the SEC would be tradition and the every week brutal schedule we'd have every week. Ollie Luck in my mind is one of the best AD's in the entire country, many fans of other teams feel the same way. What he's done in the short time he's been here has been impressive in my mind. He's brought in one of the greatest OC's in the past few years in Coach Holgs and I even think our DC Casteel signed a extension earlier this year.

Getting back to the tradition, every SEC school has something they do that's special. Auburn does the toilet paper in the tree thing (well, until the thing finally dies. You can thank Harvey Updyke for that). Bammers do the Rammer Jammer cheer. Auburn also does the Tiger walk. Which WVU started doing this season as well. We kind of also ripped off Howards Rock which Clemson touches (Clemson is in the ACC, I know) But we do that with a piece of coal now. Mississippi State does the cowbells. I like the fact Luck is trying to instill some traditions at WVU as well.

Plus, I think the SEC has like 4 or 5 more sports than the Big East does. So we'd have to put together all those teams. So not really sure how'd that work out.

It would be good for WVU to leave the Big East because it's currently a sinking ship. Will WVU end up being the band who keeps playing as the ship is sinking? I hope not. But I have 100% faith in Luck to make the right moves having to do with the University.

So yes, I think it's a good move for us to get out of the Big East and the reasons are obvious.

Good, informed post.

Revenue and exposure are without a doubt a no-brainer in the SEC; no one can pass that up. But like you said, there are lots of sacrifices that are going to have to be made in exchange for the realignment and hopefully your entire fanbase will buy into that.

Not saying it's inevitable, but will your fans be able to accept mediocrity again if that is indeed the case? Will a couple 5-7, 6-6, or even 7-5 seasons settle well with your fans or will they get bored and be unsatisfied that WVU can't compete year in and year out for a BCS bowl?

Will your fans travel to the away games? From Morgantown, the closest opponent is 5+ hours away in Lexington. Most fans can afford to plan and travel for a trip 6-8+ hours like this 2-3 times a year, but are the WVU fans willing and/or able to afford to do that 5-6 times a year? This is an inverse relationship too. Are fans in Alabama, Florida, Mississippi and the other states going to to make a concentrated effort to travel to Morgantown for an away game? It's tough financially for everyone.

Who will be a conference rival? It's not required, and as time goes on, rivalries usually form, but how effective is a rivalry that might be 10 hours away? Its tough. As a Marshall fan, I can speak from experience about being geographically out of place and the effect it has on a fanbase. Granted Southern Miss and Houston aren't LSU or Georgia, there is a real feeling of disconnect from the conference being so far away. I'd say that BC even felt that way in the ACC until yesterday. It really can put a strain on relationships.

There are other factors that might not be evident now, but might become a factor a few years down the road that make WVU fans see that the SEC isn't all roses like it looks like right now. If $$$$ > than everything else then things will be just fine in Morgantown being in the SEC.

I just find this whole conference realignment interesting and hearing opinions of those who are directly affected by it make for good reading. Keep posting!

EDIT: And FWIW, Rocks, I'd LOVE to see you in a nice blue and gold bowtie and jorts! :D

If we do in end up going to the SEC. I'll dress up in a gold bowtie and jorts just for you Hokie07.

So much is happening with rumors, not only from WVU's end. But all kinds of teams and conferences. Frankly, I'm tired of hearing about it. If it happens, it happens. I just hope that our football team isint acting like our fans are right now and focusing 100% on the LSU game.

Last week I strongly opposed WVU joining the SEC. After seeing Pitt and Cuse jump horse for the ACC, we must find a exit strategy. Competition wise it would be a much tougher schedule for the mountaineers but in the long run maybe it has potential to increase tradition, recruiting, and etc.

I'm sure Kentucky basketball fans will be pissed if WVU comes into the conference with "Huggyball."

As a native of the state of KY and a long-time follower of Kentucky basketball, I know UK fans could give a rip about Huggins, his style of play or anything else. WVU is not on their radar, nor do they think any program compares.

They do give grudging respect to UNC, and Duke. All the rest only matter at tournament time.

As a native of the state of KY and a long-time follower of Kentucky basketball, I know UK fans could give a rip about Huggins, his style of play or anything else. WVU is not on their radar, nor do they think any program compares.

They do give grudging respect to UNC, and Duke. All the rest only matter at tournament time.

Yeah we didn't earn any respect when we knocked Kentucky out of the Elite 8 did we?

WVU basketball is not even in the same category with Kentucky when it comes to program tradition but i'm damn sure Kentucky would be happy to welcome WVU to the SEC.

We're all thinking football. I'm curious as to what coach Huggins thinks about all this. Leaving one of the best, if not the best basketball conference known to man. To join the SEC who never really does anything minus UK and Florida.

With Pitt and Cuse now in ACC, I think its safe to say that its the best bball conference with Duke, UNC, Pitt, Cuse, Maryland, FSU,VT, BC, Virginia, GT, Wake, Clemson, Miami, NCST. From top to bottom far and away the best bball conference now.

Many good, informative posts here. I would just add that I side with he who said that WVU must have an exit strategy. Any big conference is a good conference right now, and WVU to the SEC makes the most logical sense from my perspective. Culturally, WVU is more like an SEC school than a Big 10/ACC school. It's a good move athletically, except for baseball. Can't blame WVU a bit.

You have the burning couches tradition at WVU so you have that going for you too.

To quote Marv Albert: "YES!"

Crazy but viable thought regarding WVU's next "expansion" move. I doubt it would work and I personally think Marshall has a better shot at VT helping them get an ACC bid than WVU helping out in this scenario, but here goes nothing:

If WVU is indeed stuck in the Big East for now and plays a role in deciding the next schools to get an invite to the Big East, then they need to flex their muscles and lobby as hard as possible for Marshall to fill a BE vacancy.

One can argue ECU and UCF against Marshall in regards to what each school brings to the table. But if you're WVU, who cares what Marshall really brings to the table? The reality of it is, exposure of two schools in a BCS conference cast WV in a positive light and bring significant revenue to the state of WV as a whole. Since both schools are publicly funded universities, both schools would definitely see an increase on their balance sheets. This has nothing to do with creating a perceived "rivalry" between the two universities. Marshall fits the geographical footprint of the Big East and two BE affiliates would double the amount of revenue generated as there would presumably always be a Big East opponent visiting our state on any given weekend.

The state of Virginia did it. Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas are doing it today. It makes SENSE and CENTS for WVU and West Virginia as a whole to lobby for Marshall to the Big East if there is ever a valid opportunity. Improved visibility of the Big East throughout the region can only be positive and result in a great profit for BOTH schools.

/rant

Edited by hokie07