Marion@Graham

ghs_17

Pass a kidney stone or listen to another Graham game on the radio.....?..........Give me a minute, this is a tough one. I usually try hard to keep all my comments positive on here, but last night's broadcast was about all I could stand. Not being the best announcers, I can live with, but continually questioning the coaching staff is just uncalled for. Heck fire, poor old Coach Marrs even got bashed again last night. Like it or not, the band, cheerleaders, fans, and even the radio announcers are part of the team effort that the school and community put forth every Friday. Back in the glory days when Kess and Danny were in the booth, they were refreshing, entertaining, encouraging, and in all ways just good members of the team. I think it would serve all the area radio announcers well to listen to a few years of Jim Nelson tapes. What a pro.

I remain impressed with Coach Williams' first venture as a head coach. He's winning the games he is expected to win.

All things aside, it is nice to see Graham already have more wins than they had all last season. Coach Williams has the program on the right track.

Doubled the win total from last year, and realistically should get to 4 with Narrows and Bland on the schedule. That's a GOOD year 1 with the personnel there.

Helps a comin boys.....just be patient. With a year in coach williams weight program I look to see a big improvement next season, and in two years we are going to be hard to handle with as many youngsters as we are playing. The 7th, 8th, and 9th grade classes will give the program a huge boost, and we now have someone to lead them. Better days are ahead.

Helps a comin boys.....just be patient. With a year in coach williams weight program I look to see a big improvement next season, and in two years we are going to be hard to handle with as many youngsters as we are playing. The 7th, 8th, and 9th grade classes will give the program a huge boost, and we now have someone to lead them. Better days are ahead.

I agree.... and a 4 or 5 win season this year would be awesome, too.

You hit the nail on the head....weight program. It was non-existent for the most part under the former leadership. I remember when Graham had really big strong linemen who were not only big but mobile and just whipped other teams. I do believe in a few years you will see these types of linemen across the whole line.

I was attending the game. It was pass interference. The kid was beat and shoved the player with both hands. Everyone in the stands was discussing what a bone head thing it was to do. No one questioned the call. Mistake, no big deal. Should have had three men deep instead of going man to man with no safety at the end of the game. With roughly 2 minutes left, play three deep and let them have everything underneath. Clock runs and you win. Poor, poor defensive coaching given the situation. That is the only poor thing that I felt occured. Shouldn’t have mattered (interference) one way or the next, if the end of the game was managed correctly.

The radio announcer in question is not good at all. Not a good person from what the community says. He should be relieved of his duties. Acting like a child on the radio is pathetic.. He is "supposed" to be a preacher and he continually tears things down. Embarrassing for him and our community.

I wish I could hear the broadcast. Many, many people talked about this at length over the weekend. They said it was in very poor taste. Who decides who broadcasts? Is ir contractual? If its through the school then O'Neal should find a replacement.

Here's a start...tell them you'll quit listening to their station and you'll ask all your friends to do the same if they don't change the Graham announcers...

Kicks Country 106.3 & 107.7 FM

900 Bluefield Ave.

Bluefield, WV 24701

Studio: 1-800-325-2256, (304) 325-2250

Office: (304) 327-7114

Fax: (304) 325-7850

I think it would serve all the area radio announcers well to listen to a few years of Jim Nelson tapes. What a pro.

I remain impressed with Coach Williams' first venture as a head coach. He's winning the games he is expected to win.

I miss Jim Nelson calling Bluefield games. He later went on to call Graham games at some point, right? Did he call Princeton games too later on? I had heard (rumor, of course) that he had a falling out with the Bluefield staff over something. Still, Jim Nelson was so able to paint a picture for the listener with efficient use of words. Before the play started, you knew the starting yard line, the formation, and the down/distance. So many of the announcers now just try to make sure there is constant discussion, no "dead air" time of even a fraction of a second.

I wish Graham the best of luck, I hope this guy is on the right path to turning things around. Even though I'm a Bluefield grad, I support Graham except for one particular game...LOL.

Oh, something else about the radio calls. Is it me, or is the sound quality horrible for all of the Adventure Radio stations (the Bluefield games, the Graham games)? The announcers sound like they're calling the game in from a crappy cell phone. I am guessing the weak link is money? They're not going to pay to have a better line between the stadium and the station?

Jim Nelson still does the Princeton broadcasts...I listen every week, not because I give a crap about Princeton, but to give my bleeding ears a break from trying to listen to either the Graham or Bluefield broadcasts...

Jim Nelson still does the Princeton broadcasts...I listen every week, not because I give a crap about Princeton, but to give my bleeding ears a break from trying to listen to either the Graham or Bluefield broadcasts...

+1

Sadly, what we have (Bluefield, Graham, etc) is about par for the course. Jim Nelson is the exception, not the rule. Most high school broadcasts I have heard elsewhere have been pretty mediocre, too, at least for schools and areas this size.

+1

Sadly, what we have (Bluefield, Graham, etc) is about par for the course. Jim Nelson is the exception, not the rule. Most high school broadcasts I have heard elsewhere have been pretty mediocre, too, at least for schools and areas this size.

They really are mediocre. There is exactly ONE good crew up here, and they do the Cumberland Valley HS (AAAA powerhouse) broadcasts. The other crews range from "mediocre" to "worse than Kicks Country".

Managed to flip on a game one night from a station in State College. The guy constantly kept saying "x:xx to go in the game", when it was obviously the first half. Never gave score, never gave position, but had this weird fixation with saying "going from left to right across your radio".

I'd love to try my hand at doing a radio broadcast of a game some time. Those of you who know me know that I have a good voice. I'm knowledgeable about the game, and I can keep it professional. Why the heck not!

I wish they would get someone who would actually call the game as it happens. With these guys, a play is run and the listeners have no clue what's going on.

This is so true....it's very hard to determine what is happening in the game from what comes out of their mouths. You'll hear them going nuts over what's happening on the field, like somebody may be doing something spectacular....then it's followed with "gain of a yard"....I've heard Baker say "Oh My Goodness" so many times, that every time I hear anybody say that phrase, I just want to jab a push pin into my brain....... I think he says "Oh My Goodness" because he has no clue how to describe what has just happened on the field.... The last straw was the "That's what she said..." crap. Just announce the game, we don't need to hear the complaints about why or why not somebody is in the game. We don't need his opinion about the coaching decisions, or what some random person is eating in the stands...Just call the freaking game!!

Is this too much to ask?