who should teams play?

UNIONFAN

On the LPD forum and this one too, alot of chatter has been going on about scheduling. Ive made mention of stregth of schedule means alot come playoff time just for experience reasons. Its my opinion that the better teams one plays then the better they become. For example (these are old and new schedules mentioned) look at past state champions and their regular schedules. Powell Valley OOD schedule in the 90s= Lee, Richlands, Radford, Gatecity all double A schools with the exception of radford (i think they were single a d2)

Appalachia 90s= Sullivan north, Gatecity, Daniel Boone, ect.....

Gatecity last season= Richlands, Bluefield, Sullivan South, Powell Valley (even though the vikings werent up to par)

Now look at teams like John I Burton. Im not knocking theteams just the scheduling. Castlewood, St Paul, Twin Springs, and so on.

Their are quality D1 teams that JIB could pick up and also D2 and some double a schools. Hints why when JIB and teams like them make the state game under the old system they would loose to a better seasoned ball team.

What do yall think about strength of scheduling and how does your team's schedule pan out for their ability?

I think Battle made a good decision by getting J.I. Burton on their schedule, but I wish they would change a few more teams. Our district is tough and outside of the district our toughest opponents are Burton, Abingdon, and Honaker. This of course is when all these teams are up, some are down this year like Lebanon and Abingdon. But battle needs to get rid of Holston, Patrick Henry, and Twin Springs. They are all D1 schools (I know Burton is small even compared to them, but they are a powerhouse) and we need to pick up at least some D2 schools. I'd like to see Battle maybe pick up Fort Chiswell (don't know what division they are, but they seem tough), maybe at least one of the bigger Wise schools (I'd like to see Union on our schedule), or maybe some NETN teams like the Sullivan schools. I'd like to see Battle with a tough schedule all the way through. We might get our butts kicked, but we'd get better I believe.

I think Battle made a good decision by getting J.I. Burton on their schedule, but I wish they would change a few more teams. Our district is tough and outside of the district our toughest opponents are Burton, Abingdon, and Honaker. This of course is when all these teams are up, some are down this year like Lebanon and Abingdon. But battle needs to get rid of Holston, Patrick Henry, and Twin Springs. They are all D1 schools (I know Burton is small even compared to them, but they are a powerhouse) and we need to pick up at least some D2 schools. I'd like to see Battle maybe pick up Fort Chiswell (don't know what division they are, but they seem tough), maybe at least one of the bigger Wise schools (I'd like to see Union on our schedule), or maybe some NETN teams like the Sullivan schools. I'd like to see Battle with a tough schedule all the way through. We might get our butts kicked, but we'd get better I believe.

Battle will never get rid of PH or Holston. Too much gate for all three schools. Best in terms of travel. And historically, good in terms of competition level.

Fort Chiswell is D2. They were godawful for about 20 years until 3 years ago.

i think you should try to schedule schools as close to home as possible...with prices so high on everything, and everybody....i know scheduling has alot do with it... in our case, we had to schedule some teams, that we normally wouldn't play i say play within your schools division.......

i think you should try to schedule schools as close to home as possible...with prices so high on everything, and everybody....i know scheduling has alot do with it... in our case, we had to schedule some teams, that we normally wouldn't play i say play within your schools division.......

Good points made with the cost of everything being high as it is, but IMO you got to beat the best to be the best, as cliche as that sounds.

You guys could pick up Sullivan East, that would be a good matchup! or north. But yes i would definitely dump TS, PH, and Holston.

Battle will never get rid of PH or Holston. Too much gate for all three schools. Best in terms of travel. And historically, good in terms of competition level.

Fort Chiswell is D2. They were godawful for about 20 years until 3 years ago.

That might be true about the gate and travel, but we need to play tougher schools. We should be better than we are. And besides, Abingdon doesn't even play Holston. We are about as close to a bunch of TN schools as we are any VA schools. TN High, S. East, S. Central, and S. North are all good options. They are much tougher, really close by, and I believe would bring in plenty of gate money. Besides, too many people from all the Washington Co. teams that get in games for free to be that much gate money, lol.

The fact that Richlands scheduled Patrick County is a joke. There are plenty of good teams much closer to home that could be on the schedule.

I have to agree with this. They are not going to help with the competition side or points side of it, and it is an awful lot of travel that either team has to do.

I also have a lot of respect for Clintwood, and year in and year out they are as good as any D3 team, but we already play enough single A teams unless we were to drop one. I would rather see us play Bluefield . We would get the AA points and not much travel, good gate and great competition. They have beaten us the last 2 times we played them but it's always a great game. I have a lot of respect for their program !!

I also love the fact we have added Pulaski Co on our schedule. They have not won a game this year but are still a good program most years.

That might be true about the gate and travel, but we need to play tougher schools. We should be better than we are. .

I don't think playing tougher schools will necessarily make you tougher. It's not like college where that can improve your recruiting. You don't have a history of being even a .500 team. Start playing tougher schools when you're routinely beating decent teams. You're what? 3-1? The teams you've beaten have combined for 4 wins? I like the progress and I hope Battle does get better but with Virginia HIgh, Abingdon, Honaker, Lebanon, and Gate City already on your schedule regardless, I would focus on beating those "tougher" teams routinely before asking for more.

Edited by deuceswild

I have to agree with this. They are not going to help with the competition side or points side of it, and it is an awful lot of travel that either team has to do.

I also have a lot of respect for Clintwood, and year in and year out they are as good as any D3 team, but we already play enough single A teams unless we were to drop one. I would rather see us play Bluefield . We would get the AA points and not much travel, good gate and great competition. They have beaten us the last 2 times we played them but it's always a great game. I have a lot of respect for their program !!

I also love the fact we have added Pulaski Co on our schedule. They have not won a game this year but are still a good program most years.

im not up to par on the points system but would richlands not gain more off of clintwoods wins than playing a weak AA school that loses

im not up to par on the points system but would richlands not gain more off of clintwoods wins than playing a weak AA school that loses

If you're comparing Clintwood to Patrick Co then yes they would, but i'm talking about Bluefield and I don't consider them a weak AA or Pulaski Co for that matter.

Pulaski Co is down this year, but most years they will earn you a lot of points and provide good competition and of course we all know what kind of program Bluefield is.

I have a lot of respect for the Clintwood program and think it would be a good series also, but we would need to drop one of the A teams that we play right now.

Salem has no reason to schedule Richlands. Most teams to the East of us have no reason play teams in our area. Richlands (if the success continues and no reason to believe it will not) will struggle to schedule quality games. Its simply difficult for most teams to provide a balanced level of competition every year.

With the exception of the district schedule(which will continue to be weak for a few more years) they do a fair job of finding teams that provide different and unique challenges.

I would also like to see them reach out to some of the TN teams. The miles may be long but easily traveled and could produce some great matchups. I do think that you would face the same challenges there as well.

Because Salem won't come to Richlands?

Salem has no desire or need to come to Richlands and I for one am glad of that fact. North East Tennessee has plenty of great teams that would more than likely be willing to schedule Richlands. Pulaski County on the other hand is a great pick up and should be kept on the schedule for as long as possible. The Bluefield game on the other hand is a whole other animal. Yes I would love for this match-up to be an every year thing but the powers to be seem otherwise.