Need Some Help

Ok guys here's the story. I have realized I can't work in a call center the rest of my life and support the family which I'm ultimately going to have in the near future (Oct. 26, 2013). I've always considered myself a "history buff". I love history. I love the stories and everything that is associated with it. It was always my thing back in school. I want to go to college to become a high school or middle school teacher.

So here's my question to you guys. I know some of you have spouses or relatives who are teachers. What should I do? I can't quit my current job, as I have a car payment that won't allow me to work less than I currently do. So an online school would be helpful. Secondly, what degree would I need to obtain to to do this. I've did some online searching, but nothing seems really clear to me. So I was hoping someone on here could give me a little advice?

Thanks!!

Ryan

Theirs plenty of online schools that you can take courses. To earn your degree for teaching though you have to complete student teaching. I would recommend enrolling in a local college and just take all the online classes offered for a teaching degree. Some of the work is hands on and accredited Colleges/Universities require some of the courses to be delivered in the classroom.

I know with work and a family it can be very hard to arrange time to actually take courses in the classroom, but in the long run it would pay off. You may be able to take the majority of the basic curriculum online, however be careful if you go with an online college, many of the classes offered from online colleges will NOT transfer to accredited institutions.

Not trying to knock the profession of teaching, but if you want to become a teacher, get your Masters degree and teach at a College or University. It's much more rewarding.

Just my two cents.

Also, you may qualify for financial aid that will help you pay for college. Many of us, like me, still have to work through college to make ends meet. Degree wise, you would just need to enroll as an education major and they would provide you with the requirements for a specialization in history.

Edited by beaverbaseball

Ok guys here's the story. I have realized I can't work in a call center the rest of my life and support the family which I'm ultimately going to have in the near future (Oct. 26, 2013). I've always considered myself a "history buff". I love history. I love the stories and everything that is associated with it. It was always my thing back in school. I want to go to college to become a high school or middle school teacher.

So here's my question to you guys. I know some of you have spouses or relatives who are teachers. What should I do? I can't quit my current job, as I have a car payment that won't allow me to work less than I currently do. So an online school would be helpful. Secondly, what degree would I need to obtain to to do this. I've did some online searching, but nothing seems really clear to me. So I was hoping someone on here could give me a little advice?

Thanks!!

Ryan

My advice is don't let a car payment scare you away from going to any college that is or isn't online. Many colleges these days are much more accommodating to the non-traditional student and leaves you with tons of scheduling options that work with you. I have seen firsthand many students with much more on their plates than you that have completed college and done very well for themselves (I don't mean to undermine your situation at all, I am just talking about seeing single mothers, working 2 jobs, and raising 1+ kids at the same time; you're bright guy with a great work ethic than can and will do very well for yourself).

Just do a quick Google search for scholarship money and you'll soon find out that there is TONS of free money out there waiting for you to go to school on, pay rent, whatever, while you're trying to get a degree. If scholarships don't cover it, then student loans are also a great way to go. I know they are scary from the outside looking in, but they really are beneficial in the long run. Federal grant money is also available to millions of kids each year.

I wish I could help you out more on the exact route to take in teaching, but I don't really know it. What I do know and want to tell you is don't be intimidated by the money factor when deciding on college. There are plenty of ways to finance an education with or without a job that are well worth it 4 years later.

Good luck!

Edited by hokie07

Thanks!!

Ryan

Congrats on your decision, But I would recommend either online courses or a community college (trust me, going to a CC is one of the best economic decisions anyone can make in these rough economic times, and then later transferring onto a bigger university such as ETSU, UVA-Wise, or Radford) and i'm sure all you need is a bachelors, heck maybe even an associates, but preferably a bachelors. It doesn't require to much to get hired as a teacher around here. I hope it all works out for you man!

how many credits do you have right now? Once you get to about 40+ you can go to school one night a week for about 1.5 years at some place like Bluefield or King or wherever and get your Bachlors...its really easy that way as far as working around a schedule/family. Thats what I did and it is much easier than trying to go the traditional route and you get the same degree.

how many credits do you have right now? Once you get to about 40+ you can go to school one night a week for about 1.5 years at some place like Bluefield or King or wherever and get your Bachlors...its really easy that way as far as working around a schedule/family. Thats what I did and it is much easier than trying to go the traditional route and you get the same degree.

None, to my knowledge. I went to Southwest in the fall of 08, but my Grandmother passed away, and I dropped out of college, as well as quit my job at the time. And I've never even thought about going back untill now.

saw you say "going back" and figured you might have some. Make sure you have all that from the first time taken care of before you make any plans...if you start and stop sometimes you can get caught up in paperwork hell.

good luck man.

saw you say "going back" and figured you might have some. Make sure you have all that from the first time taken care of before you make any plans...if you start and stop sometimes you can get caught up in paperwork hell.

good luck man.

I was only in it for a little over a week before Mommaw died. I was granted to leave with no marks on my record, since I didn't complete anything.

Congrats on your decision, But I would recommend either online courses or a community college (trust me, going to a CC is one of the best economic decisions anyone can make in these rough economic times, and then later transferring onto a bigger university such as ETSU, UVA-Wise, or Radford) and i'm sure all you need is a bachelors, heck maybe even an associates, but preferably a bachelors. It doesn't require to much to get hired as a teacher around here. I hope it all works out for you man!

I think this the route I'm most likely to go on. I just re-applied for SouthWest here in Richlands. Then I'd like to transfer to a school like VT or NCST if I end up moving to North Carolina like planned.

Guest StoneyCalhoun

All good points. SWCC is your answer in my opinion. I go to grad school with a guy who is an excellent student and a brilliant mind, who spent 2 years at SWCC. Came to VT, graduated in a year, and now will have his Masters at the age of 22. Pretty impressive.

Community College works. He goes back to SWCC to teach now during the summer.

My advice to you is go to CC to get your basic classes down. Make sure it is cheap, and hopefully online.

Keep taking classes, Lance is right, just chip away at it and eventually you will get your degree.

And do not fret school loans, they can be very forgiving if you are going into teaching. Some eliminate school loans after so many years if you teach in an impoverished community.

My cousin worked full time as a teachers aide, and went to SWVCC for about 3 years, she took summer classes and alot of night classes also. But in the end she had her degree, and is now a full time teacher.

My cousin worked full time as a teachers aide, and went to SWVCC for about 3 years, she took summer classes and alot of night classes also. But in the end she had her degree, and is now a full time teacher.

Night classes would be a no-go for me, as I work 2-11. With a 37 minute drive each way.

i thought you were moving to NC?

We are going to hold off on that untill after the wedding. Which is Oct. 26, 2013. That gives me time to finish up here, and then hopefully transfer in to NCST.

For my education minor at ETSU, the basic education classes were during the day or online. For these classes, I had to spend time observing at area schools or volunteering in the community. The final three classes were at night (4-7) to accommodate the grad students who were working at University School to help pay for their classes. For your major and general studies, day classes are an option.

They have all given you sound advice. Don't let folks discourage you about the pay or stress. I made the switch to teaching after 20+ years doing something else. I make less money, but I get to live where I want and get to make a direct difference in the lives of young people.

I think this the route I'm most likely to go on. I just re-applied for SouthWest here in Richlands. Then I'd like to transfer to a school like VT or NCST if I end up moving to North Carolina like planned.

To become a high school History teacher, you will have to complete a Bachelor's Degree in History with a minor in Secondary Education. To do this, you could complete your first two years of general studies at SWCC and then transfer to any 4-year college/university that has a Teacher's Education Program. Each school and state will have different requirement to become a certified teacher. However, you will basically have to take a few tests (PRAXIS and PRAXIS II) and complete a semester of student teaching, along with the other degree requirements.

SWCC has a two year Associate's Degree in Education (http://www.sw.edu/Catalogs/artsandsciences/education.htm). It is designed to transfer to a 4-year school where you can complete your teacher's certification. You could do this, or you could just take general studies courses for two years and not worry about getting a specific Associate's degree. Either way I would advice that you call SWCC and talk to an admissions counselor (Here is the number of a good one: 964-7573). Tell them what your plans are and they can tell you what the best route would be. If you want to start in the Spring I would recommend that you also call the Financial Aid office and ask them what you need to be doing to receive financial aid (964-7291).

Let me know if I can help you at all.

I did the associates degree program through the Virginia Community College System and then went into a four year program. It was seamless and greatly reduced costs as VCCS is much cheaper than any four year institution. I was able to work a full time schedule while completing my education.

It was not easy but nothing worthwhile is.

Also, don't hesitate to check out the community colleges in the Triangle area. There will be a lot more opportunity their to work with a very supportive company while going to school.

Either way I would advice that you call SWCC and talk to an admissions counselor (Here is the number of a good one: 964-7573).

Hey, I know that number and counselor very, very well. However, I won't go in to any specifics on why or how I know them.

Guest The Variable

Now Im in central Va, so things might be different here but...

My mom is a secretary at an elementary school in Hanover co. All of the teacher applications come through at some point or another for filing and consideration. She says that education degrees from Longwood University go to the top every time. It doesnt matter if someone has a degree from VaTech or UVA or W&M. There is no University degree in VA that the school systems in the greater Richmond area put more emphasis on than Longwood.

That carries some weight right now because a lot of school systems right now are under hiring freezes. The supply/demand in the education industry weighs heavily against new teacher hirings. So if you arent going to be able to put up what may be considered the most competetive aspect when you have no prior teaching experience, you may want to find another avenue.

Also, my buddy is a teacher in Spotsylvania. He came from NC and does not have a very high opinion of the way it is run in comparrison with VA school systems. NC is also going through bigger budget problems than we are and bigger education cuts I believe.

Just some food for thought.