graham gmen

ghs73

i for one want to thank this group of young men for the effort that gave to their team, teamates, coaches and to the community of bluefield va. this group of kids went above and beyond what most of us thought they would or could acheive. they did themselves and the school and community proud. to the seniors on this team thank you for four years of loyalty to your school and team. i wish you the best in your future and what you decide to do. you have given the younger players something to work towards. to the rest of the team and the incoming freshmen for next year. i for one will be supporting you as i have for many years, i look forward to next year with this team.keep up the hard work during the off season and be ready for a great season next year and for many more to come. and to coach williams, thank you for coming to graham high school and bluefield va, i know this was a big move for you and your young family but i am very proud of what you have done for graham high football. you are bringing it back to respectiablity again. you coming to blfd. va was the best thing that i feel could have happened for graham football and the school. again thanks to all the seniors, juniors sophmores and freshmen , and the coaching staff at graham high school for a good year.

i for one want to thank this group of young men for the effort that gave to their team, teamates, coaches and to the community of bluefield va. this group of kids went above and beyond what most of us thought they would or could acheive. they did themselves and the school and community proud. to the seniors on this team thank you for four years of loyalty to your school and team. i wish you the best in your future and what you decide to do. you have given the younger players something to work towards. to the rest of the team and the incoming freshmen for next year. i for one will be supporting you as i have for many years, i look forward to next year with this team.keep up the hard work during the off season and be ready for a great season next year and for many more to come. and to coach williams, thank you for coming to graham high school and bluefield va, i know this was a big move for you and your young family but i am very proud of what you have done for graham high football. you are bringing it back to respectiablity again. you coming to blfd. va was the best thing that i feel could have happened for graham football and the school. again thanks to all the seniors, juniors sophmores and freshmen , and the coaching staff at graham high school for a good year.

Great post and well said! Indeed, we do have high expectations for the future of Graham football. As I have said here before ... it is so exciting to see that old familiar Graham pride being displayed throughout the community. I even have my Roanoke and Salem friends (devoted high school sports fans) keeping tabs on "those G-Men." Roanoke area football fans are quite aware that coach Williams is from Salem and always have the greatest things to say about him. They also are aware of Graham's tradition and are equally excited about the needed changes that occurred at GHS. Even Robert Anderson (Roanoke Times sports) stated before the Fort Chiswell (he incorrectly predicted a FC win) game that no one should expect Graham to be "down and out for long." Graham football, once again, is alive and well and we are proud to say "We're Back!" Congrats on a great season and a great future. As my old 1995 sweatshirt says ... "can't hide that Graham pride."

Edited by starcityfootballfan

This is my first time posting on this website and I want to say first that I do see some very good posts on this site pertaining to the pride of SWVA Football! I do get a kick out of some of the bickering between you very dedicated fans! I've been around a long time and I am a Graham High Supporter and have been all my life! I would like to say that I was and am very proud of the kids on the Graham squad for their dedication, devotion, and effort toward having a tremendous season! I was fortunate to make it to several games and will be the first to say that I do like the direction that new Head Coach Williams is hopefully taking our very prideful program! I like his energy with the kids, his discipline he bestows upon the student-athletes, and his recognition of the type of program we had in the past and the way we want it to be again! The only glitch i saw with the season was the offensive play calling! I know the type of athletes that he has/had this season and from experience, they were/are not designed to run the Power "I"! With all due respect, other than a few plays here and there to mix it up, the Power "I" is almost an obsolete offense! These players are better designed, with their size and speed, for a spread/option based offense! Not trying to be an antagonist, just my opinion!

The only glitch i saw with the season was the offensive play calling! I know the type of athletes that he has/had this season and from experience, they were/are not designed to run the Power "I"! With all due respect, other than a few plays here and there to mix it up, the Power "I" is almost an obsolete offense! These players are better designed, with their size and speed, for a spread/option based offense! Not trying to be an antagonist, just my opinion!

Did you really go to some of the games this season??? I'd be willing to bet that you got most of your information from Mike Baker over the radio...he was a constant complainer when his son wasn't playing QB. They changed back and forth between the power-I and the spread/option...guess which one worked better most of the time.

I'd be willing to bet that Coach Williams knows what he's doing moreso than you did when you were on "staff"...

This is my first time posting on this website and I want to say first that I do see some very good posts on this site pertaining to the pride of SWVA Football! I do get a kick out of some of the bickering between you very dedicated fans! I've been around a long time and I am a Graham High Supporter and have been all my life! I would like to say that I was and am very proud of the kids on the Graham squad for their dedication, devotion, and effort toward having a tremendous season! I was fortunate to make it to several games and will be the first to say that I do like the direction that new Head Coach Williams is hopefully taking our very prideful program! I like his energy with the kids, his discipline he bestows upon the student-athletes, and his recognition of the type of program we had in the past and the way we want it to be again! The only glitch i saw with the season was the offensive play calling! I know the type of athletes that he has/had this season and from experience, they were/are not designed to run the Power "I"! With all due respect, other than a few plays here and there to mix it up, the Power "I" is almost an obsolete offense! These players are better designed, with their size and speed, for a spread/option based offense! Not trying to be an antagonist, just my opinion!

i was at the graham grayson playoff game and graham rushed for around 260 yards i think. they used the power I this offense has worked for graham this year. the problem is that the kids are learning to block and hold those blocks on pass plays and on the runs this takes time to undo 6 years of bad coaching at ghs. it cannot be learned overnight. the underclassmen will improve and be a force to be dealt with in years to comei realize there are many in blfd va who still are upset about the loss of marrs and will always find fault with coach williams and how he is leading this group of gmen.i think it is time for those to open up their eyes and see that this team did win 4 more games than last year yes maybe not the swd but the med. but this team is playing together and learning how to play the game again in all aspects of the game. last year the kids could not tackle at all this year they are doing that much better. so give williams time. just like everyone gave marrs time until it got to the point that the team was gone. and then marrs gave up the princeton home game to go to unc game. sorry to me this is not a coach dedicated to his team. that was the nail in the coffin for marrs.

You all are crazy! Obviously CoachedB4 knows what he is talking about look at all the college teams he watches every Saturday do it. It must work for every team there is DUH. If it is on television then everyone needs to be doing it. Don't do what is best for your program and players. DO WHAT IS BEST FOR MY SON!

Hmmm, my favorite college team is 7-3 with that "obsolete" offense...

Whoa! Sorry I ruffled so many feathers! 1. Thought it was clear that this was my opinion and not a JAB at Coach Williams! He will be fine as long as he adjusts to his kids! 2. One can't get any info from the radio because i have listened, and you can't tell where the ball is on the field by listening to that broadcast, much less, what the team is doing! I assure you, my opinion is formed by watching! 3. I wasn't on "staff" but to pull my own chain, make no mistake that I know how to call an offense myself!

Whoa! Sorry I ruffled so many feathers! 1. Thought it was clear that this was my opinion and not a JAB at Coach Williams! He will be fine as long as he adjusts to his kids! 2. One can't get any info from the radio because i have listened, and you can't tell where the ball is on the field by listening to that broadcast, much less, what the team is doing! I assure you, my opinion is formed by watching! 3. I wasn't on "staff" but to pull my own chain, make no mistake that I know how to call an offense myself!

oh boy...

In being totally honest, I must say the reason we went to the power I offense is because simply we couldn't hold blocks very long. And if you can't block if doesn't matter if you run the spread or the single wing. We simplified and went to an offense that gave our line plenty of help blocking. That is the real problem with Graham football the last 5 seasons prior to 2011. The total lack of commitment to the weightroom. We were very weak and got pushed around alot, even this season. That will change I can assure you. You look at the past when the Graham program was great. How big were our linemen? Our backs? We have been tiny the last couple of years. And when you don't lift and get stronger you get beat. Its as simple as that. But these kids are already chomping at the bit to get back into the weightroom. I think this town lit a fire under these kids and its exciting to watch them get excited about the future. If nothing else we got our confidence back which is one heck of a first step.

better in power I ....maybe with on off season under their belt Spread will be more effective

Graham did much better ouf of the power I. They couldn't protect the QB when they ran the spread....Graham fared much better running the power I...and I think Coach W. recognized this would be the case. Everybody complained about him running the power I for the entire Richlands game....I believe Graham would've been beaten much worse in that game, had he ran the spread....He did the right thing and worked on what would become Graham's bread and butter. I'm impressed with having a coach being able to recognize how to utilize the kids he's got on the team....He tried different things until he found what worked best....then he stuck with it.... Great job!! I can't wait to see these guys play next season and I do believe that Graham is only 2 or 3 years removed from having a very good team. I think they'll be pretty good next year as well....

In being totally honest, I must say the reason we went to the power I offense is because simply we couldn't hold blocks very long. And if you can't block if doesn't matter if you run the spread or the single wing. We simplified and went to an offense that gave our line plenty of help blocking. That is the real problem with Graham football the last 5 seasons prior to 2011. The total lack of commitment to the weightroom. We were very weak and got pushed around alot, even this season. That will change I can assure you. You look at the past when the Graham program was great. How big were our linemen? Our backs? We have been tiny the last couple of years. And when you don't lift and get stronger you get beat. Its as simple as that. But these kids are already chomping at the bit to get back into the weightroom. I think this town lit a fire under these kids and its exciting to watch them get excited about the future. If nothing else we got our confidence back which is one heck of a first step.

my point in previous post exactly.