Thoughts on the Clintwood -Chilhowie game

wave316

#6 of Chilhowie played his heart out but ran into a buzzsaw today. Brett Johnson rushed enough today to gather 4,000 +yds for his career but was hammered all day by the Green Wave defense. Clintwood was not going to allow what Chilhowie did to Rural Retreat to happen to them . Chilhowie got 4 out 5 onside kicks on Rural Retreat and won 39-38 in a great comeback..but today they only kicked off to Clintwood twice . Both kicks were onside attempts and failed.

Clintwood went up 34-0 at halftime. The first score was made possible by a great catch by freshman Austin Turner.The pass was nearly intercepted by Chilhowie but Turner on the deflection kept focused and hauled it in on the 4 yd line . Clintwood scored and momentum was in their favor. Clintwoods D caused several turnovers and made the Warriors pay. Chilhowie was down 55 -0 at the end of the 3rd . Subs came in and the Warriors got a td at the end of the 4th.

Next Friday's game against GWythe should be a dandy. GW has a great team with speed and power ...Clintwood has the heart of champions and is downright physical.. Should be one great game. Don't know what the weather will be like..but today's weather was perfect football weather!:)

Was kind of shocked that Chilhowie couldnt do anything on offense. They got their first 1st down of the game on the last play of the 3rd quarter against a back up DL and a hodge podge of second teamers. Thought they'd have moved the ball more and actually had a really bad feeling before the game. Glad I was wrong.

Will the game be Friday night for sure? Love to see it, but i'm going to Richlands.

Maybe it is Saturday Lance ..spoke with the Chilhowie coaches and they said GW likes to play on fridays ...but next friday is the biggest shopping day of the yr...wonder if that was a reason to play on Saturday?

Maybe it is Saturday Lance ..spoke with the Chilhowie coaches and they said GW likes to play on fridays ...but next friday is the biggest shopping day of the yr...wonder if that was a reason to play on Saturday?

Being that its Thanksgiving weekend that does make sense.

wave316,

If I recall correctly here's how the first part went down. Chilhowie kicked off to Clintwood. Clintwood proceeded to drive down. I want to say maybe they even converted a 4th down on the initial drive. They eventualy score on the first drive and kickoff to Chilhowie.

Chilhowie threw a pass on the first or second play of their first drive that was caught and likely would have been a first down but as the receiver was running for more yardage he was drilled from behind and fumbled. Clintwood recovered. They then moved the ball a few plays and were eventually held to a 4th down. Then came the pass you mention. The pass went right thru the hands of a Chilhowie defender. The Clintwood receiver fell to the ground and the ball fell in his hands. Quite a catch.

It would be interesting to see how the game would have went if Chilhowie had not had that early fumble and if they had not allowed that score on that pass.

Don't get me wrong, Clintwood would still have won and won big but I think those two things just kind of set the tone and it was all over from there.

I was very, very impressed with Clintwood. I had never been to a game over there and had never seen them play and it was definitely something to see.

I think Clintwood beats GW this week. Chilhowie was able to move the ball some on GW earlier in the year but they could not move the ball at all on Clintwood.

Congrats to Clintwood.

wave316,

If I recall correctly here's how the first part went down. Chilhowie kicked off to Clintwood. Clintwood proceeded to drive down. I want to say maybe they even converted a 4th down on the initial drive. They eventualy score on the first drive and kickoff to Chilhowie.

Chilhowie threw a pass on the first or second play of their first drive that was caught and likely would have been a first down but as the receiver was running for more yardage he was drilled from behind and fumbled. Clintwood recovered. They then moved the ball a few plays and were eventually held to a 4th down. Then came the pass you mention. The pass went right thru the hands of a Chilhowie defender. The Clintwood receiver fell to the ground and the ball fell in his hands. Quite a catch.

It would be interesting to see how the game would have went if Chilhowie had not had that early fumble and if they had not allowed that score on that pass.

Don't get me wrong, Clintwood would still have won and won big but I think those two things just kind of set the tone and it was all over from there.

I was very, very impressed with Clintwood. I had never been to a game over there and had never seen them play and it was definitely something to see.

I think Clintwood beats GW this week. Chilhowie was able to move the ball some on GW earlier in the year but they could not move the ball at all on Clintwood.

Congrats to Clintwood.

The diff in Clintwood early in the year and now is there passing game there current top 2 receivers were not even in those positions early in the season....On D they have been tough all season but to do what they did to a RB as good as Johnson was impressive (as a team Chil had under 100 yards total offence and did not pick up a 1st till the last min of the 3rd qtr WOW)

That being said if Chil makes the stop on those 1st 2 scoring drives it changes the Complexity of the game no doubt about it..... Losing #7 hurt Chil on both sides of the ball and IMHO #2 was not at full speed either

The game vs GW looks to be a slobber knocker (There O looks like the non shotgun version of what Burton does) Should be a tight one which worry's me given that the GW kicker is a diff maker)

I think CW is peaking at the right time and will make a tough out for anyone

It is suprising that the warriors only managed under 100 yards of offense!

I would completly disagree that what GW runs is an undercenter version of what JIB does. JIBs Offense is based on speed/quickness and streaching the D until a gap opens up. GWs Offense is more power based with some speed type plays to complement the power game. imo

It is suprising that the warriors only managed under 100 yards of offense!

I would completly disagree that what GW runs is an undercenter version of what JIB does. JIBs Offense is based on speed/quickness and streaching the D until a gap opens up. GWs Offense is more power based with some speed type plays to complement the power game. imo

What little I have seen there play set is for the most part the same (Burton Throws the ball more and GW hits it between the tackles more)

wave316,

Congrats to Clintwood.

Very nice post Single A fan.. There was a couple of plays that caused the game to go in favor of Clintwood. I congratulated Brett Johnson after the game. He was a True Warrior . He had a cut place on his nose and took a beating out there trying to make some runs . I hope he gets to play college somewhere if that's his goal. He gave it his very best ...but Clintwood is so good at stopping the run . Coach Russell and Coach Jeff Robinson are class acts . Glad you got to make it over to see a Clintwood game. They must travel this Saturday and play a fine GWythe team.. It should be a great game!:)

56-10. Should be a good one.

GW only threw the ball 4 times on Chilhowie for 24 yds ... They had 379 yds on the ground. Clintwood will have to negate the run game of GW . Both teams are playing great ball. Turnovers may be the key in this game . Stopping the speed of GW will have to occur. Clintwood has played some tough competition this yr..so they are not unaccustomed to being in Battles. Radford had GW till last 2 minutes and let it slip away. Also there was a controversial play at the end of the first half where Radford thought they scored a rushing td and crossed the goal line but refs said no. Wasn't there so cannot say yea or nay.. But Radford did something right to be leading with just 2 minutes left in the game..

GW only threw the ball 4 times on Chilhowie for 24 yds ... They had 379 yds on the ground. Clintwood will have to negate the run game of GW . Both teams are playing great ball. Turnovers may be the key in this game . Stopping the speed of GW will have to occur. Clintwood has played some tough competition this yr..so they are not unaccustomed to being in Battles. Radford had GW till last 2 minutes and let it slip away. Also there was a controversial play at the end of the first half where Radford thought they scored a rushing td and crossed the goal line but refs said no. Wasn't there so cannot say yea or nay.. But Radford did something right to be leading with just 2 minutes left in the game..

No controversy at all with that play. The kid was clearly down and no time was left on the clock. Please tell me you didn't listen to the Bobcat broadcast lmao. Those guys are terribly objective.

No controversy at all with that play. The kid was clearly down and no time was left on the clock. Please tell me you didn't listen to the Bobcat broadcast lmao. Those guys are terribly objective.

This was from a coach I spoke to who was at the game and he thought the ball had crossed the plain.. I wasn't there..did Radford raise a fuss... ??

I couldn't stick around after the game to talk to any of the players because the wife was waiting on me to get back so we could head to Boone but I wanted to shake #13's hand. That dude is beast.

I lost count of the number of players he put on their back when he was fullback.

Who is he? Does he plan to play at the next level?

I couldn't stick around after the game to talk to any of the players because the wife was waiting on me to get back so we could head to Boone but I wanted to shake #13's hand. That dude is beast.

I lost count of the number of players he put on their back when he was fullback.

Who is he? Does he plan to play at the next level?

#13 is Austin Dotson ...perhaps the most physical high school player I have ever seen play the game. He is a load to bring down and is a linebacker that will lay the wood to you. Someone said that Marshall had shown interest in Austin. I only wish him the best. Thanks for commenting on him!

I watched him much of the game especially when he was on offense. As soon as the ball was snapped he was looking for someone to hit. He would hit them square in chest and put them on their back or roll them. Time and time again. Didn't seem very cocky at all either which is nice to see.

I don't care who you are for, it's hard not to like a player who does that.

Clintwood definitely put on a blocking and tackling clinic.