Upset weekend

ThomasDenton

What's everyone think about all the upsets this weekend? #2 OK St., #4 Oregon, #5 Oklahoma, #7 Clemson as well as a few other ranked teams all lost (many to unranked teams). I've also been hearing that this will put LSU, Bama, and Arkansas in the top 3 spots. Pretty crazy.

About the USC/Oregon game though, I kinda expected this one. USC can play tough and I felt like this one was going to be an upset.

What's everyone think about all the upsets this weekend? #2 OK St., #4 Oregon, #5 Oklahoma, #7 Clemson as well as a few other ranked teams all lost (many to unranked teams). I've also been hearing that this will put LSU, Bama, and Arkansas in the top 3 spots. Pretty crazy.

About the USC/Oregon game though, I kinda expected this one. USC can play tough and I felt like this one was going to be an upset.

Insane weekend in college football. All but ensures a 1-loss team will be playing for the MNC. But which one? And when does Houston enter the discussion? If 1-loss teams continue losing next weekend (and I hope they do), at some point they have to come to the front of the line, right?

Insane weekend in college football. All but ensures a 1-loss team will be playing for the MNC. But which one? And when does Houston enter the discussion? If 1-loss teams continue losing next weekend (and I hope they do), at some point they have to come to the front of the line, right?

Houston's weak SOS kills any chance of them being in the BCSNC IMHO. Take a look at this schedule and tell me this team deserves any consideration at all. A two loss team with a stronger SOS would be more deserving in my opinion.

Houston's 2011 Schedule

UCLA

North Texas

Louisiana Tech

Georgia State

UTEP

East Carolina

Marshall

Rice

UAB

Tulane

Southern Methodist

Tulsa

With all of this chaos.... VT could make the Nat. Title game IF they win out and have the number 5 spot in the polls entering this weekend. LSU and Arky have to play next week and hopefully Tech will jump whoever loses... Most likely Arky. 'Bama and Auburn have to play too and I'm hoping that they can pull the big upset. Winner of LSU-Arky most likely will play Georgia in SECcc and Georgia has to beat them in order for Tech to get the 2 spot. It can happen... all the right dominoes have to fall in order to do so....

With all of this chaos.... VT could make the Nat. Title game IF they win out and have the number 5 spot in the polls entering this weekend. LSU and Arky have to play next week and hopefully Tech will jump whoever loses... Most likely Arky. 'Bama and Auburn have to play too and I'm hoping that they can pull the big upset. Winner of LSU-Arky most likely will play Georgia in SECcc and Georgia has to beat them in order for Tech to get the 2 spot. It can happen... all the right dominoes have to fall in order to do so....

Assuming VT wins next weekend, which is much more an "assumption" than years past.

As I said in the ChatBox last night, focus on getting to Charlotte first. Winning takes care of everything else.

Guest StoneyCalhoun
Assuming VT wins next weekend, which is much more an "assumption" than years past.

As I said in the ChatBox last night, focus on getting to Charlotte first. Winning takes care of everything else.

Completely agree. Hopefully a small smell of a potential NC berth will allow VT to focus on the Cavs, moreso than thinking about beating them 9 times in a row and not a big opponent.

Plus they saw them win on prime time last night. Gonna be a dogfight.

Were you around in 2007 when WVU fans were talking this same way?????? How did that turn out?????

Focus on the task at hand and that is beating UVA.

Control what you can control. Besides all of those dominos won't fall correctly

Were you around in 2007 when WVU fans were talking this same way?????? How did that turn out?????

Focus on the task at hand and that is beating UVA.......

Control what you can control......

I don't keep up with WVU sports.... I hope we do beat UVA but the game could go either way.... going with the Hokies 24 to 21 on a last second FG to win.... I'm just pointing out that this can happen but yeah we gotta focus on the task at hand.

Think about this potential mess:

As of tomorrow, it will be LSU #1 and Alabama #2.

Hypothetically, let's say LSU and Georgia play in the SECCG and UGA pulls the upset in the Georgia Dome. That knocks LSU out of the top spot and Bama sneaks up to #1 and into the BCS title game. UGA steals the AQ bid.

If LSU drops further than #2 then they are on the outside looking in at not only the MNC but a BCS bowl too, am I right? Don't you have to be your conference champion to be in a BCS game with the only exception being your conference's champion playing in the BCS title game?

Does LSU, the unanimous #1 all season, have a legitimate shot at being left out of a BCS bowl game with one untimely loss?

Hypothetically, let's say LSU and Georgia play in the SECCG and UGA pulls the upset in the Georgia Dome. That knocks LSU out of the top spot and Bama sneaks up to #1 and into the BCS title game. UGA steals the AQ bid.

If LSU drops further than #2 then they are on the outside looking in at not only the MNC but a BCS bowl too, am I right? Don't you have to be your conference champion to be in a BCS game with the only exception being your conference's champion playing in the BCS title game?

Does LSU, the unanimous #1 all season, have a legitimate shot at being left out of a BCS bowl game with one untimely loss?

That could very well happen. And I hope it does. That would be the inal straw in the BCS, basically forcing a playoff.

I honestly think LSU would survive a loss in the SEC Championship. Shades of Oklahoma '03.

But there would be unbridled chaos if LSU loses.

Besides, the BCS is around for a long, long time.

I honestly think LSU would survive a loss in the SEC Championship. Shades of Oklahoma '03.

But there would be unbridled chaos if LSU loses.

Besides, the BCS is around for a long, long time.

Agreed. I think the whole scenario is moot because LSU will beat UGA as bad as they want to in the SECCG.

But, something to think about.

*LSU will beat Arkansas in Baton Rouge on Friday.

*Alabama will destroy Auburn in the Iron Bowl.

*Georgia will not beat either Arkansas, LSU, or Alabama.

*I'm an SEC fan, LSU has already beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa once this year. IMO LSU should not have to beat them again. If Bama beats LSU, then LSU would be SEC Champions and Alabama national champions......ick.

*VT has the same problem as Houston. SOS is 69th I think, they played 1 ranked team this year and were never in the game. IF GT is ranked, i apologize.

*If LSU and Houston are undefeated they should play in the NC.

*The best 1 loss team is Alabama by far.

*The purpose of the BCS was to have the 2 best teams play each other for the NC.

* So, what we have here folks is a complete mess. Take the top 8 and have them play in the ROSE, SUGAR, FIESTA, and ORANGE Bowls. The winners play in a "final four" format and the last 2 remaining play for the title. Keep all the other bowls the same. More money for the greedies and more football and a true champion for the rest of us.

*If LSU and Houston are undefeated they should play in the NC.

I don't think Houston should play in the NC. I don't really like the current system and would like to see some kind of playoff format, but Houston would get killed. I want to see a good, close game for the NC. Houston's schedule is just too weak. If there's a 1 or even 2 loss team out there with a MUCH stronger SOS than Houston's, then they should jump over Houston to play LSU or whoever in the NC. If Houston got to play just because they went undefeated, then next year everyone would be playing watered down schedules to go undefeated.

Do you guys really want VT to be fed to LSU that bad? I have nothing against VT, I pull for them unless they are playing Bama, but really.. you just thought Stanford made VT look bad last year, it would be that bad again if not worse if they actually get to play LSU or Bama for that matter in a NC game.Tech has a good rb and a QB that regardless of what people like to think cannot beat a good defense with his arm, he would get no respect from either Bama or LSU's defense and they would just pummel the line of scrimmage and anyone around it.

Do you guys really want VT to be fed to LSU that bad? I have nothing against VT, I pull for them unless they are playing Bama, but really.. you just thought Stanford made VT look bad last year, it would be that bad again if not worse if they actually get to play LSU or Bama for that matter in a NC game.Tech has a good rb and a QB that regardless of what people like to think cannot beat a good defense with his arm, he would get no respect from either Bama or LSU's defense and they would just pummel the line of scrimmage and anyone around it.

It would be a score much like 2007 when VT and LSU played. It's absurd the talent differential between the ACC and SEC. You match ACC #1 vs. SEC #1, and on down the line, the SEC probably wins 10-11 of those matchups...and most of them in blowouts.

You guys want an interesting scenario where 2 teams play for the NC who lost their conferences?

1. Arky beats LSU. LSU would have the lowest BCS standing with loss, and would drop out. Bama beat Arky, so Bama goes to SECCG.

2. UGA upsets Bama. UGA wins conference, Bama has 2 losses.

3. UVA "upsets" VT. VT finishes with 2 losses, does not go to ACCCG.

4. OU beats OSU-South. Both OU and OSU-South have 2 losses. OU goes to Big X-II CG.

5. Stanford wins out. Stanford finishes 11-1.

6. Oregon wins out. Oregon finishes 10-2, has tiebreak over Stanford, wins Pac 12.

BCS Title Game: Stanford-Arkansas.

#4-#6 are the expected result. #3 is very plausible, hence the brackets around "upsets". #1-#2 are the most unlikely, but in the SEC, who knows what can happen? If this does happen, there MUST be a playoff instituted to save any respect for college football.