This is a kinda-sorta goodbye

Now that everything is set in stone, figured I'd break the news to you guys. My fiance and I are moving to Garner, NC. There just isn't much oppurtunity here, and an abundance down there. So I guess this is more of a goodbye to the area than to the board itself. I'll still be on as much as ever down there. And I'll be relying on you guys to keep me updated about my beloved Blues. :) Also, UVAO, this is no way shape or form cancels our bet. I'll come back just to take you to lunch in your VT stuff. ;)

I thought you were leaving the board, you pansy. ;)

Trust me, I understand. I left SWVA for 8 years because of the opportunity it provided, and oddly enough, am coming back next week because I have an opportunity that I'd have never dreamed I'd have. Good luck in NC, though don't rule out returning if the chances arise!

I thought you were leaving the board, you pansy. ;)

Trust me, I understand. I left SWVA for 8 years because of the opportunity it provided, and oddly enough, am coming back next week because I have an opportunity that I'd have never dreamed I'd have. Good luck in NC, though don't rule out returning if the chances arise!

Oh trust me, I'll come back if/when the time and money is right. I do like the care free way of life around here. So hopefully I'll come back.

And of course you did. I make it sound as if I was leaving just to scare a few people, and to disappoint a few when they saw I'm not leaving the board. Lol. ;)

Guest The Variable
Good luck Ryan. I had no idea where Garner, NC was, so I Googled it. I see it's near Raleigh. I hope you enjoy it there and are successful. Good luck!

Ha! Ill be closer to Ryan than SWVA I think.

Ha! Ill be closer to Ryan than SWVA I think.

Oh no............................................................................................................................................**gulp** :(

• 1 month later...

I'm baaaacccckkkkkkk. ;) After 3 1/2 weeks, we have had enough. So we moved back today. Soooo many people. All of them were rude. I couldn't even manage an interview at McDonalds. Lol. Good to be back though. Never know how much you love this place until you leave.

I'm baaaacccckkkkkkk. ;) After 3 1/2 weeks, we have had enough. So we moved back today. Soooo many people. All of them were rude. I couldn't even manage an interview at McDonalds. Lol. Good to be back though. Never know how much you love this place until you leave.

It takes longer than 3 1/2 weeks to get a job now ryan they are not just handed out.

Wow!

Welcome back to the Land of Opportunity!

LOL, that was fast. Welcome back.

While there's certainly no place like home, I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience in Raleigh.

Out of curiosity, did you ever give any consideration to Charlotte? Lived there previously myself and really loved it. A lot of "big city" advantages (including job opportunities) but full of really friendly folks.

Of course, my experience is somewhat dated (I left there a dozen years ago) and I chose to return to the Commonwealth myself when the opportunity presented itself. But if you find yourself seeking new horizons in the future, there's much to commend the Queen City.

Things I find questionable:

1) Why did you move there in the first place without the prospect of a new job? Did your girlfriend have a job there already? Seems odd to gamble in a new place like that. Moving costs money.

2) Did you really take less than 30 days to look for a job?

3) Are people rude or are you different? I've never had problems with rude people anywhere I've ever been besides New York and they were so rude it was almost endearing, but I tend to mind my own business. The "When in Rome" principle will get you places.

4) Didn't you just buy a guitar that is worth more than the trade-in value of my car?

5) Why couldn't you manage an interview at McDonalds? Surely, that is an exaggeration on your part.

The world is a big place. And 99.9% of it is much different than SWVA. If you couldn't cut it in North Carolina...

I'm not hatin', I'm just wonderin'.

Things I find questionable:

1) Why did you move there in the first place without the prospect of a new job? Did your girlfriend have a job there already? Seems odd to gamble in a new place like that. Moving costs money.

2) Did you really take less than 30 days to look for a job?

3) Are people rude or are you different? I've never had problems with rude people anywhere I've ever been besides New York and they were so rude it was almost endearing, but I tend to mind my own business. The "When in Rome" principle will get you places.

4) Didn't you just buy a guitar that is worth more than the trade-in value of my car?

5) Why couldn't you manage an interview at McDonalds? Surely, that is an exaggeration on your part.

The world is a big place. And 99.9% of it is much different than SWVA. If you couldn't cut it in North Carolina...

I'm not hatin', I'm just wonderin'.

1) I had what I believed to be a sure fire job. I had already had two interviews with AT&T down there when we left. But I never got the job.

2) I couldn't take any longer. I was running on limited money. And when I got to a place where I thought I was cutting it too close with bills and such, we came back.

3) People down there really were that rude. When I go into a Walmart and ask for help and they laugh and walk away. Or when I walk into a Wendys and they says "What do you want?", that's just not the way I was raised.

4) I did just get a $1,200 guitar. However, I won a $1,000 gift card from Guitar Center Raleigh in a Valentines day raffle. On top of that I had a $100 off coupon if you spent over $500. So I only paid $98 out of pocket for the guitar. That just kind of fell into my lap.

5) That is no exaggeration. I applied to the local McDonalds. I got an email two days later saying something like, "We appreciate your interest in working with McDonalds. However, we have chosen to pursue more qualified individuals at this time.", or something like that. So no, I honestly couldn't even manage an interview at McDonalds. (Though I did have interviews several other places, but none of them gave me a job).

Going down there, we knew it would be completely different. I was fine with that. However, my fiance has severe anxiety problems in crowds and in traffic. So she was a mess the whole time down there. Even if I had gotten a job, I have a feeling we'd have come back sooner rather than later.

It takes longer than 3 1/2 weeks to get a job now ryan they are not just handed out.

I know. But with no real prospects in sight, plus a slowly dwindling cash pile, and my fiances anxiety problems down there, we felt it was right to come back home.

Glad you're back home and happy Ryan. If I had a choice I would have stayed in Southwest Virginia. Just couldn't find a job that paid what I had to have in order to support my family. I understand the rudeness part as well. People are definitely more ill mannered in the larger cities than they are in smaller towns.

His English was too good to work at McDonald's in that part of the world...lots of Spanish speaking employees at most McDonald's in the Raleigh area..."more qualified" means he didn't/couldn't speak Spanish so he wouldn't have been able to communicate with the other employees...