Welcome to the Plantation!

bucfan64

Typically, when someone notices the error of an awful comparison, if the person has decency, the next response will be "I'm very sorry, I didn't mean such a comparison. Thanks for pointing that out to me, and I'll try to be more careful in the future". Bucfan's response was not that, and in fact, seemed to take a defiant sort of pride in the comparison. Not only is that all kinds of uncouth, it makes one wonder if that was actually the intent behind the initial post, and if we should take his initial explanation at face value.

Boom.

I'm all for celebrating MLKJR day. He was inspirational to not only black Americans but to all people, far and wide. Not just for his time but for generations following and to follow. If not for him, the Civil Rights movement would have no doubt went forward, but perhaps more slowly and with more resistance. He is the face of the movement. But his fearless approach, uplifting spiritual message, and non-combative attitude is what should be remembered most. No matter his color, he was a great man. I celebrate MLK day not because he was a black leader who had his life unfairly taken at the height of the movement. I celebrate it because he literally dedicated his life for what needed to be, something that individuals of all color should recognize.

That being said, I don't get the "Black History Month" thing. I think it's insulting that it's the shortest month of the year just as insulting as it is that it exists. I think we need "Asian History Month", "Latin American History Month", "Native American History Month" and so forth if we're going to have "Black History Month". I'm actually surprised the ACLU hasn't made that happen already. Americans should appreciate the history of black Americans as much in October as they do in February.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Variable

That being said, I don't get the "Black History Month" thing. I think it's insulting that it's the shortest month of the year just as insulting as it is that it exists. I think we need "Asian History Month", "Latin American History Month", "Native American History Month" and so forth if we're going to have "Black History Month". I'm actually surprised the ACLU hasn't made that happen already. Americans should appreciate the history of black Americans as much in October as they do in February.

What about WASP history month, or a drinking month of Celebration for the Celts? What about bi-racial history months? Hispanic-Japanese history month could be Japanic like in the movie Domino.

What about WASP history month, or a drinking month of Celebration for the Celts? What about bi-racial history months? Hispanic-Japanese history month could be Japanic like in the movie Domino.

I'm down. We're going to need to add some months though or even double-up a few.

I celebrate drinking month, monthly.

My opinion on the matter as well, especially the last point. Either we are all one people now or we arent. National recognition of differences doesnt go very far in promoting a national identity. Celebrate individuals for acts of honor, not the fact that someone was born into a specific race.

Completely agree. The end result is self-segregation, which benefits no one.

Bucfan's response was not that, and in fact, seemed to take a defiant sort of pride in the comparison. Not only is that all kinds of uncouth, it makes one wonder if that was actually the intent behind the initial post, and if we should take his initial explanation at face value.

Observer, I really do not understand what your problem is with this posting. It is rather obvious that the only problem you have with the article is the fact that I happened to post it on MLKJ day. You have permitted yourself to look at things through a glass darkly, furthermore you are the one that started this ridiculous debate regarding racism.

I personally do not care what you think in regards to my position regarding race, question all that you will, formulate your own opinion, I know where I stand on the issue of racism and I understand the value of common sense.

Perhaps you should consider your own prejudices? After all you are the one who is unwilling to give me the benefit of the doubt, could it be because you feel superior? Could it be because you assume that your UVA education grants you superior intellect? Or is it just because you may actually be an intellectual racist?

I am a passionate conservative, I value my belief in God and I firmly embrace the brotherhood of mankind, I do not look at people as being black, white, Asian, Latino, etc, I see them as individuals. Perhaps a closer study of the founding principles of this nation would lead you to understand the importance of individuality and stop GROUPING people into categories based on their skin color, ethnicity or religious belief. Who here is the real racist?

I see MLK as a great MAN, not a great BLACK MAN! Your very reference to his color is an indicator that you cannot see beyond the color of his skin.......and you have the audacity to suggest that I am racist?

Nope, not at all. Actually, if it does anything at all, it reflects VERY badly on conservatives for falling into that trap.

Guess the folks at the BLACKPRESS are also racist, after all I cited an article in which they referred to both the Republican and Democrat Plantation.

Just goes to show you, when you take a position, you better be prepared for where it will take you! Essentially, you are calling the folks at the BLACKPRESS racist toward BLACK people!

Until then, I will offer a sincere prayer for your understanding and I will forgive any negativity that you have directed toward myself!

Edited by bucfan64

Perhaps a closer study of the founding principles of this nation would lead you to understand the importance of individuality and stop GROUPING people into categories based on their skin color, ethnicity or religious belief.

You know. Those same principles that only allowed white, male land owners to vote.

I am a passionate conservative, I value my belief in God and I firmly embrace the brotherhood of mankind, I do not look at people as being black, white, Asian, Latino, etc, I see them as individuals. Perhaps a closer study of the founding principles of this nation would lead you to understand the importance of individuality and stop GROUPING people into categories based on their skin color, ethnicity or religious belief. Who here is the real racist?

Is it just me, or is this guy sounding more and more like Stephen Colbert?

Are you trolling?

Is it just me, or is this guy sounding more and more like Stephen Colbert?

Are you trolling?

Keep trying, nice, yet feeble attempt to stir me up! You haven't had anything creative or constructive to add to this argument since it began......same for DEUCES....

You know. Those same principles that only allowed white, male land owners to vote.

Are you suggesting that the Constitution of the United States is a Racist document?

Legend, please don't attempt to make an argument that you cannot support. If you have ever read or if you have ever had an understanding of the principle of INDIVIDUAL LIBERTY, you would know that our nation was not founded on the belief of GROUP RIGHTS, but rather upon the notion of individual liberty. In fact many of our founders sought a remedy to the notion of slavery and the injustice that it was upon the slaves of their time. It is called the 3/5ths compromise!

True, some didn't view blacks as citizens, and yes there were some racist among them, but others foresaw the issue and attempted to rectify it with the 3/5ths compromise. Which by the way did not count a black person as 3/5ths of a person as so many brainwashed libs wish to suggest.

The 3/5ths compromise was an attempt by legislators in the NORTH to prevent a 1for1 count of blacks as population. By preventing the South from counting the totality of their slave population as members of society it severely limited the number of representatives the south could have, this measure PREVENTED THE GROWTH OF SLAVERY in all the states and limited the amount of influence slave holders had in congress.

In a nutshell it goes like this: “If you don’t treat them as a man, you don’t get to gain representation to create votes that will most certainly not be made on their behalf, nor their best interests.” It was designed to limit slavery! Therefore, the Constitution of the United States IS NOT AND NEVER WAS a racist document!

If the North had allowed the South to count slaves 1for1 in order to obtain more representation in congress slavery would have undoubtedly increased and it would have take much longer to have eradicated it from our society! That is why the number of slaves to be counted was reduced to 3/5ths instead of 1for1.

Finally, if you don't believe me, please consider the words of FREDERICK DOUGLAS, in case you don't know, he was a very prominent African American.

“I base my sense of the certain overthrow of slavery, in part, upon the nature of the American Government, the Constitution, the tendencies of the age, and the character of the American people….The Constitution, as well as the Declaration of Independence, and the sentiments of the founders of the Republic, give us a platform broad enough, and strong enough, to support the most comprehensive plans for the freedom and elevation of all the people of this country, without regard to color, class, or clime.” -Frederick Douglass

Next time------THINK-----before you type!

Edited by bucfan64

Keep trying, nice, yet feeble attempt to stir me up! You haven't had anything creative or constructive to add to this argument since it began......same for DEUCES....

Thanks for showing me some respect and capitalizing my name.

You haven't added anything creative or constructive to this discussion either. You regurgitate everything from your far right weblogs and keep digging yourself into a hole with your out of touch racial views.

Honestly, there is nothing to add. You are making yourself look like an ass.

Observer, I really do not understand what your problem is with this posting. It is rather obvious that the only problem you have with the article is the fact that I happened to post it on MLKJ day. You have permitted yourself to look at things through a glass darkly, furthermore you are the one that started this ridiculous debate regarding racism.

I personally do not care what you think in regards to my position regarding race, question all that you will, formulate your own opinion, I know where I stand on the issue of racism and I understand the value of common sense.

Perhaps you should consider your own prejudices? After all you are the one who is unwilling to give me the benefit of the doubt, could it be because you feel superior? Could it be because you assume that your UVA education grants you superior intellect? Or is it just because you may actually be an intellectual racist?

I see MLK as a great MAN, not a great BLACK MAN! Your very reference to his color is an indicator that you cannot see beyond the color of his skin.......and you have the audacity to suggest that I am racist?

Wow, this is so far over the line that it doesn't merit a dignified response. However, in some vain hope that the point that has eluded you so will set in, I will give one.

You spout the ideals of a brotherhood blind to race, yet you happily post a comparison between America's broken two-party system and a plantation. A plantation, Bucfan. You know as well as anyone here what a plantation represents. It's the clearest metaphor of racial superiority as there is in English literature. I say again, I'm desperately trying to take you at face value. However, your moral philosophy is at odds with the comparison that you posted, then vigorously defended, then VIGOROUSLY DEFENDED A SECOND TIME. Please, for the love of all that's good, tell me you see the incongruity here. You cannot claim the moral high ground then defend to the death a comparison that's needlessly, openly racist and divisive.

Your post wouldn't be so personally offensive if it ended there. Oh no, you went far beyond that, claiming that I am an intellectual racist. Not only is that as incorrect as a statement can possibly be, it's libel, and I'll "kindly" advise you not to do that again. Please, I beg of you, provide me a single quote that even remotely implies that I'm an "intellectual racist". Claiming that there are racial divides in the United States is not "intellectually racist". It's common freaking sense. There are volumes and volumes of text that confirm this. I shouldn't have to defend my own morals, but I will by stating that I treat everyone equally and with complete disregard to the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

As far as my education, I am damned proud of my B.A. in Classics from the University of Virginia. That's seventeen years of hard work, sweat, and tears. I earned the right to be proud of that. That doesn't mean that it grants me "superior intellect". God granted me my intellect, and I'm fulfilling His destiny by putting it to its greatest use. That's all that needs to be said about that.

Part of using one's mind is making comparisons, and it was very clear to me and several others that using an article as a metaphor for a plantation on Dr. King's birthday was more than slightly questionable. Everyone makes errors in judgment, and I admitted where I have. However, the fact remains, you defended the comparison twice when confronted with the hidden meaning.

That, I suppose, brings us back to paragraph #1. What you are claiming you believe and what you have posted and defended in this forum are at odds. They are clearly at odds; it's objectively clear. The ball's in your court. As long as you don't continue to use ad hominems, false dichotomies, and libel me, I will continue this discussion.

Not going to keep beating a dead horse, but.....

Observer, do you consider Lt. Col. Allen West, an African American, a racist toward black people because he made his "plantation" comment? Yes or no will suffice

Do you consider Herman Cain, an African American, a racist toward black people because of his "plantation" comment? Yes or no will suffice

Do you consider members of the BLACKPRESS, racist toward black people because of an article in which they refer to both parties as running a "plantation?" Yes or no will suffice

It is rather obvious that you and I are not going to agree on this issue, but I am honestly curious as to your answer in regards to the questions above.

I would also like to add, that it appears rather hypocritical of you to insinuate or imply that I am racist, but then accuse me of libel when I suggested that it may be a possibility with you. Could you elaborate on this apparent DOUBLE STANDARD that you have?

Observer, do you consider Lt. Col. Allen West, an African American, a racist toward black people because he made his "plantation" comment? Yes or no will suffice

Do you consider Herman Cain, an African American, a racist toward black people because of his "plantation" comment? Yes or no will suffice

Do you consider members of the BLACKPRESS, racist toward black people because of an article in which they refer to both parties as running a "plantation?" Yes or no will suffice

It is rather obvious that you and I are not going to agree on this issue, but I am honestly curious as to your answer in regards to the questions above.

I would also like to add, that it appears rather hypocritical of you to insinuate or imply that I am racist, but then accuse me of libel when I suggested that it may be a possibility with you. Could you elaborate on this apparent DOUBLE STANDARD that you have?

creep.gif

I see where you're going with that. Trotting out the old "black people did it, so it's all groovy" argument. Let me respond with three words: CONTEXT, CONTEXT, CONTEXT. Were any of those instances a needlessly divisive comparison inextricably linked toward a civil rights leader's birthday? Yes or no will suffice.

P.S. All that libel requires is: (1) publishing in print (2) an untruth about a person (3) which will do harm to reputation (4) by bringing said person into ridicule, hatred, scorn, or contempt. You (1) wrote down on a public forum (2) implying that I was an intellectual racist, which could clearly (3) hurt my image in the legal community (4) by bringing me into ridicule and contempt.

I see where you're going with that. Trotting out the old "black people did it, so it's all groovy" argument. Let me respond with three words: CONTEXT, CONTEXT, CONTEXT. Were any of those instances a needlessly divisive comparison inextricably linked toward a civil rights leader's birthday? Yes or no will suffice.

P.S. All that libel requires is: (1) publishing in print (2) an untruth about a person (3) which will do harm to reputation (4) by bringing said person into ridicule, hatred, scorn, or contempt. You (1) wrote down on a public forum (2) implying that I was an intellectual racist, which could clearly (3) hurt my image in the legal community (4) by bringing me into ridicule and contempt.

In other words you can't and will not answer the questions that I posed. By giving no answer, you have proven my point.

In other words, the use of the word "plantation" is not racist, unless it corresponds with a holiday dedicated to the honor of person whose race just happens to apply!

P.S. Libel, dear sir is exactly what you have done to me in this thread!

Edited by bucfan64

In other words you can't and will not answer the questions that I posed. By giving no answer, you have proven my point.

In other words, the use of the word "plantation" is not racist, unless it corresponds with a holiday dedicated to the honor of person whose race just happens to apply!

P.S. Libel, dear sir is exactly what you have done to me in this thread!

Just admit you posted it in poor taste. That's all you have to do.