What was your deciding factor in choosing a college?

The discussion about campus beauty kind of got me to thinking about this. For those who have attended college (at any level), what was the main deciding factor that drove your choice?

Since I raised the issue, I'll go first.

I chose both my college and graduate institutions because of a girl. Throughout high school, I considered and visited dozens of schools across the country. But when my high school sweetheart told me that she was going to Tech, that pretty much wrapped up my own decision making process. Similar situation four years later. Although I was admitted to a university in another state with one of the top programs in my field, I decided to follow her to North Carolina.

Probably not the most orthodox method of educational choice. But we'll be celebrating our 18th wedding anniversary in June and we've been tremendously blessed in every way, so I think it's worked out pretty well.

The discussion about campus beauty kind of got me to thinking about this. For those who have attended college (at any level), what was the main deciding factor that drove your choice?

Since I raised the issue, I'll go first.

I chose both my college and graduate institutions because of a girl. Throughout high school, I considered and visited dozens of schools across the country. But when my high school sweetheart told me that she was going to Tech, that pretty much wrapped up my own decision making process. Similar situation four years later. Although I was admitted to a university in another state with one of the top programs in my field, I decided to follow her to North Carolina.

Probably not the most orthodox method of educational choice. But we'll be celebrating our 18th wedding anniversary in June and we've been tremendously blessed in every way, so I think it's worked out pretty well.

Mine? I decided mine based on the following factors:

80%-Because it was the best school in the state of Virginia.

14%-Beautiful place.

6%-Lots of daddy's money girls. Funny, because this ended up being a non-factor after my 1st year there.

I get the bonus for the bone head reason - a great basketball program. No I wasn't a player, just a UK fan. It didn't hurt that it was the best public school in the state. (Centre, and Berea being the best schools in KY.)

I went to Virginia Highlands Community College because it's local and it was free, then I transferred to Virginia Intermont College (where I'm currently at) because it's about 10 minutes from my house, it's a small school (both in campus size, not counting the north campus, and class size), it's known for producing great teachers (especially art teachers, which is my thing), and has arguably the best art program in the region. I think the main reason overall was that it was right down the road from my house.....I didn't even consider any other colleges, and I got calls, letters, and emails from about 40-50 other schools.

My family moved to Kansas when I was a senior in high school, and I followed them after graduating from Richlands. Actually my dad moved out there first, and my mom stayed until the end of the school year. I attended Johnson County Community College to start, and later moved back to Birmingham and enrolled at UAB. No particular reason other than at the time it was less expensive than Bama, and I had started working for a company in Birmingham to help pay my way. And talk about an ugly campus...UAB is on the Southside of Birmingham and spread out for miles...a concrete jungle. Awful.

14%-Beautiful place.

20%-Best football school in the state of Virginia.

5%-Decent remedial math courses.

I approve of the maths.

Not so much of the "best school" nonsense unless you is an engineer or are a farmer.

14%-Beautiful place.

20%-Best football school in the state of Virginia.

5%-Decent remedial math courses.

Good answer!!! LOL

I went to VT because I fell in love with the place the first time I set foot on campus when I was 8-years-old. I only applied to one school...Virginia Tech. Got accepted to ETSU based solely on my SAT scores that I had sent there (you could send them to three schools...they were one)...third school was Coastal Carolina, at that time, known as USC-Coastal Carolina.