New Disrict

swvacsas2

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about marion to MED...that settles size discrepancy (Grayson,Fort,Graham) and travel is not bad at all to any of the MED schools

Narz is still a stretch...but other than that...wouldn't be as bad as the CMD...Marion is smack dab in the middle of the Hogoheegee...the state would be ignorant to listen to a few principals and not let them in. When you compare head to head matchups in athletics in ALL sports, Marion pretty much falls in the middle of the pack....and their enrollment has been steadily declining over the past 20 years or so...

Narz is still a stretch...but other than that...wouldn't be as bad as the CMD...Marion is smack dab in the middle of the Hogoheegee...the state would be ignorant to listen to a few principals and not let them in. When you compare head to head matchups in athletics in ALL sports, Marion pretty much falls in the middle of the pack....and their enrollment has been steadily declining over the past 20 years or so...

They're still above 700 though. The rest of the Hogo is at 450 or below. That's a big difference especially considering Holston and Rural Retreat hover around 300. Sure, Marion isn't very quality at sports but they still have the advantage of probability given those numbers.

I have heard Battle and Lebanon do not want us (Richlands) in this new conference. My question is why? Our enrollment continues to drop and we need to move down in my opinion. What is the deal with Battle & Lebanon?

Richlands isn't moving down. They will be 2A just like the rest of the CMD, except Abingdon which will be 3A. The purpose of mixed districts is to allow outliers (Abingdon will be the only 3A school this side of Pulaski) to be in a district in which they are a geographic fit. Marion's attempt to join the HOGO isn't the same thing. They do not have a travel hardship, because they are a geographic fit in the CMD. They won't be required to travel any more or less than he rest of the district. I believe Marion's desire to play in the HOGO is based on luxury rather than necessity and so I think their travel hardship will be denied.

I just quickly crunched some numbers and for Marion to send one bus to and back from all of their district opponents if they were in the HOGO would cost the school about $ 1,000, it would be at least $2,500 if they were in the MED, if they were in the CMD it would be $3,800.

Those numbers are w/ me calculating diesel at $4 per gallon, its more than that.

When you think about all the varsity sports, jv sports, cheerleaders and band trips that adds up quick.

2011 numbers CMD, Lee 712, Gate City 708, Va high 651, John Battle 607, Lebanon 553.

HOGO, G.W. 435, Chilhowie 445, Holston 320, Northwood 267, PH 416, RR 360. Marion 715.

Marion to Northwood, 19 miles and 30 minutes

Marion to Lee High, 107 miles and 2 hours(at best)

That will be the difference.

The MED wouldnt be a bad comprimise but my money is on Marion ending up in the Hogo

Marion to Northwood, 19 miles and 30 minutes

Marion to Lee High, 107 miles and 2 hours(at best)

That will be the difference.

The MED wouldnt be a bad comprimise but my money is on Marion ending up in the Hogo

Marion might have one or two long trips but for the most part all trips are on interstate 81. I really don't think its travel concerns but more like competition concerns. Why not put them in the MED along with George Wythe and bring Bland and Narrows to the Hogo. The principals and the R and R have already said no what more does it take.

Marion might have one or two long trips but for the most part all trips are on interstate 81. I really don't think its travel concerns but more like competition concerns. Why not put them in the MED along with George Wythe and bring Bland and Narrows to the Hogo. The principals and the R and R have already said no what more does it take.

You would think there be a way to create a district of D1 size schools in SWVA.

If the point system works the way I think couple years down the road, most D2s who have hopes of playoffs will realize playing to many D1s they can't gain much from is not good. I will be surprised if the district system continues to be.

The Cumberland D1 except for Eastside but youre right, the area around 81/77 needs a D1 district. fb2s solution would make that happen.

I think districts will still be around in the future, if nothing else for scheduling purposes.

@ The Region D meeting Clinch Mountain threw a fit about Richlands coming down, I think b/c they don't want to play them in football.

Basically with the new "conferences" it will be D1.... Honaker will come down to D1 local "BDD" aka conference 48 is Hurley, Haysi while they exist, Honaker, Council, Twin Valley.

They're going to put the conference and break up Clinch Mountain into two bringing in A-town, Rich vegas, and Tazewell and split up Clinch mtn into two conferences.

Marion didn't get the red carpet invite. Clintwood was invited to BDD but I think they want to go Cumberland and Burton may go Cumberland if they go, b/c LPD is gone, but Burton is going to get absorbed into Wise County...

ANNNNNNNND they moved all the St. Paul kids to East Side with Coeburn, but do to construction all Eastside kids are going to go back to St. Paul with 21 class rooms next year so they can do construction on the school.....

Basically your district championship means nothing there's no "region" you can only have a tournament and district championship for bragging rights and two trophies sake.

Pretty much its SW district into a conference with all the other old Double A Schools into a different demographic so all the AA jumpers like Gate City will be in two different conferences

woooooo

Edited by eastboundanddown

I'm thinking put Grundy, Richlands, Tazewell, Graham and Honaker in one district. Twin Valley, Council, Hurley, Clintwood, Haysi and Ervington together. Then put Burton, Central, Eastside, Twin Springs, Rye Cove, Castlewood and Thomas Walker in the other district. Keep the CVD as is while adding Marion. Maybe put Lebanon with the first district mentioned.

Edited by cityofRaven

I would like to see Clintwood in the BDD until DC consolidates but I think they will go to the Cumberland to stay with JI Burton.

I think long term SWVA needs 3 2A and up districts(1 w/ Abingdon and 1 with Carroll Co) and 2 1A districts(1 for far swva and one for the I-81/I-77 area).

I would like to see Clintwood in the BDD until DC consolidates but I think they will go to the Cumberland to stay with JI Burton.

The question is will the Cumberland take them? Given that they (the Cumberland) put out the inventation to Burton but not Clintwood I wonder if Clintwood ends up in the BDD after all (personaly i am pulling for the BDD due to proximaty to my job :) )

The question is will the Cumberland take them? Given that they (the Cumberland) put out the inventation to Burton but not Clintwood I wonder if Clintwood ends up in the BDD after all (personaly i am pulling for the BDD due to proximaty to my job :) )

the BDD has sent an invite to Clintwood. Im all for it! and no the CD doesent want JIB or Clintwood.

It was in the paper yesterday, Clintwood is asking the Cumberland District for admission.

I would prefer to see Clintwood in the BDD but I understand why they want to be in the CD. The CD could still deny their admission.

• 2 weeks later...