New Central Coach

Warriors_XO

BI was named coach, but was fired for moving equipment from Pound to Kelly something about not documenting or gas money or something I'm not really sure. It was pretty shady I do believe but I'm not 100% on what happened. They named Jason Mullins on "intern" basis is what Bristol said. Went 6-5 and got replaced.

B.I. picked up a piece of weightlifting equipment from somewhere in Tennessee(around knoxville im thinking) using his personal vehicle. After he returned to Wise he replaced the gas he used on the trip using the counties fuel card(or maybe a fuel pump at the county garage?). Thats a no no w/o written permission, even if it was for a school related expense. When he was called on it and accused of stealing gas he basicially said this is bs and im done here.

I think the back story is he didnt get along with some county leaders and the gas thing was just the final straw. Jason Mullins coached Central last season on a temporary basis, Central struggled w/o any real sense of direction and he wasnt asked to return as HC.

Edited by redtiger

B.I. picked up a piece of weightlifting equipment from somewhere in Tennessee(around knoxville im thinking) using his personal vehicle. After he returned to Wise he replaced the gas he used on the trip using the counties fuel card(or maybe a fuel pump at the county garage?). Thats a no no w/o written permission, even if it was for a school related expense. When he was called on it and accused of stealing gas he basicially said this is bs and im done here.

I think the back story is he didnt get along with some county leaders and the gas thing was just the final straw. Jason Mullins coached Central last season on a temporary basis, Central struggled w/o any real sense of direction and he wasnt asked to return as HC.

They did beat Union...They made it to the playoffs ... They lost to Clintwood, Sullivan North, Burton, Castlewood, some pretty decent ball clubs...I thought Jason Mullins did a good job, being thrust into Head Coach position after the B.I. mess...

PREP FOOTBALL: Reed named as Wise Central's new head coach

By: Tim Hayes | Bristol Herald Courier

Published: April 11, 2012 Updated: April 11, 2012 - 2:29 PM

» Comments | Post a Comment

Just call it a year of milestones for Darren Reed.

After celebrating his 40th birthday in February, the gridiron guru recently landed his first head football coaching job.

Reed was appointed as the new boss at Wise County Central High School earlier this week after spending nearly two decades as an assistant coach at Gate City.

Reed takes over for Jason Mullins who guided the Warriors last season on an interim basis. Central went 6-5 in 2011 and lost to Wilson Memorial in the first round of the VHSL Group A, Division 2 Western Section playoffs.

“Of course, I’m excited,” Reed said. “I was able to meet with the kids and administration [Tuesday]. They’re really energetic and ready to go. They’re ready to continue what Coach Mullins and his staff started this past year.”

For Reed this new opportunity came after paying his dues. The blue-collar Southwest Virginian spent time on the staff of Gate City head coaches Nick Colobro and Bill Houseright.

He had stints as both a defensive coordinator and offensive coordinator for the Blue Devils.

“Coach Houseright and Coach Colobro both have prepared me well for this adventure,” Reed said. “They’ve given me the responsibility and they’ve let me run with it. I feel like I have a pretty well-rounded background both offensively and defensively.”

Reed played one season at Clinch Valley College (now the University of Virginia’s College at Wise) before transferring to Emory & Henry. He’s the latest former E&H football standout to become a head coach at the prep level.

“I’m real appreciative of all the things Emory & Henry was able to do for me and all the coaches I got to play under,” Reed said. “I know when I graduated in ’95, we had a bunch of Southwest Virginia boys come through that coached. I’d say in my time there, we probably had 20-plus that went on to be a head football coach.”

Reed, who was a head baseball and volleyball coach at different times during his tenure at Gate City, now prepares to take over his own football program. Last season’s leading rusher, Joe Burnopp (870 yards, 13 touchdowns), is among the notable returnees for the Warriors.

“The biggest thing we want to do is put the kids in the right place and let them excel,” Reed said. “As we go through spring workouts and in summer, we’re going to have an idea of what these guys can do and what they want to do.”

thayes@bristolnews.com | Twitter:@Hayes_BHCSports | (276) 645-2570

They did beat Union...They made it to the playoffs ... They lost to Clintwood, Sullivan North, Burton, Castlewood, some pretty decent ball clubs...I thought Jason Mullins did a good job, being thrust into Head Coach position after the B.I. mess...

He was behind the 8 ball from the begining. IF he would have won 8 games then MAYBE he could have kept the job. The general consenous seems to be that hes a great guy but just not a HC. He did a pretty good job considering the circimstances but Centrals D was HORRIBLE and the Offense was sort of mix and match and that wont beat good teams.

He was behind the 8 ball from the begining. IF he would have won 8 games then MAYBE he could have kept the job. The general consenous seems to be that hes a great guy but just not a HC. He did a pretty good job considering the circimstances but Centrals D was HORRIBLE and the Offense was sort of mix and match and that wont beat good teams.

Ok ..So do you think Reed could have beat Burton, Clintwood ,Sullivan North ,and Wilson Memorial with last yrs Central's newly consolidated team? Don't think so.. Probably will lose to those same teams this yr..save Wilson Memorial... You could have had Tony Dungy coaching Central last yr and Clintwood ,Sullivan North ,Wilson Memorial, and Burton would have beat them!..

PREP FOOTBALL: Reed named as Wise Central's new head coach

By: Tim Hayes | Bristol Herald Courier

Published: April 11, 2012 Updated: April 11, 2012 - 2:29 PM

» Comments | Post a Comment

Just call it a year of milestones for Darren Reed.

After celebrating his 40th birthday in February, the gridiron guru recently landed his first head football coaching job.

Reed was appointed as the new boss at Wise County Central High School earlier this week after spending nearly two decades as an assistant coach at Gate City.

Reed takes over for Jason Mullins who guided the Warriors last season on an interim basis. Central went 6-5 in 2011 and lost to Wilson Memorial in the first round of the VHSL Group A, Division 2 Western Section playoffs.

“Of course, I’m excited,†Reed said. “I was able to meet with the kids and administration [Tuesday]. They’re really energetic and ready to go. They’re ready to continue what Coach Mullins and his staff started this past year.â€

For Reed this new opportunity came after paying his dues. The blue-collar Southwest Virginian spent time on the staff of Gate City head coaches Nick Colobro and Bill Houseright.

He had stints as both a defensive coordinator and offensive coordinator for the Blue Devils.

“Coach Houseright and Coach Colobro both have prepared me well for this adventure,†Reed said. “They’ve given me the responsibility and they’ve let me run with it. I feel like I have a pretty well-rounded background both offensively and defensively.â€

Reed played one season at Clinch Valley College (now the University of Virginia’s College at Wise) before transferring to Emory & Henry. He’s the latest former E&H football standout to become a head coach at the prep level.

“I’m real appreciative of all the things Emory & Henry was able to do for me and all the coaches I got to play under,†Reed said. “I know when I graduated in ’95, we had a bunch of Southwest Virginia boys come through that coached. I’d say in my time there, we probably had 20-plus that went on to be a head football coach.â€

Reed, who was a head baseball and volleyball coach at different times during his tenure at Gate City, now prepares to take over his own football program. Last season’s leading rusher, Joe Burnopp (870 yards, 13 touchdowns), is among the notable returnees for the Warriors.

“The biggest thing we want to do is put the kids in the right place and let them excel,†Reed said. “As we go through spring workouts and in summer, we’re going to have an idea of what these guys can do and what they want to do.â€

thayes@bristolnews.com | Twitter:@Hayes_BHCSports | (276) 645-2570

Sorry ,but Burnopp is not a notable returnee ..He was a sr and played in our FCA All-Star Senior game last yr!

Ok ..So do you think Reed could have beat Burton, Clintwood ,Sullivan North ,and Wilson Memorial with last yrs Central's newly consolidated team? Don't think so.. Probably will lose to those same teams this yr..save Wilson Memorial... You could have had Tony Dungy coaching Central last yr and Clintwood ,Sullivan North ,Wilson Memorial, and Burton would have beat them!..

I dont think anyone could have lead last years Central team to wins over WM or Clintwood but Castlewood yes. JIB and SN probably not but Central should have had better showings against both (if I remember correctly they lost both games pretty handily). JIB was solid but nothing special and SN had 1 stud and an ok team around him, their passing game was non existent.

I think the issue with Mullins was lack of direction. Its not just about wins and losses, direction and how well the team plays means alot. Their defense was also terrible, I bet Central gave up an average of 35+ points per game last season and they had too much talent for that. Not that Central was loaded but they were better than that.