2012 expectations

redtiger

Not expecting much from James Monroe this year I hate to say. Talent just ain't there but what's worse is the coaching is even more sadly lacking. The team has steadily declined since the return of Don Jackson in 2008, and I hate to say alot of people aren't too surprised. Going .500 would almost be a loftly goal given last year's team's all-time worst finish of 2-8. What little talent was on the team was lost to graduation, and there didn't appear to be any freshmen that really stood out. Stranger things have happened, but making the post-season wouldn't be a surprise, it'd be more near to a miracle season.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not expecting much from James Monroe this year I hate to say. Talent just ain't there but what's worse is the coaching is even more sadly lacking. The team has steadily declined since the return of Don Jackson in 2008, and I hate to say alot of people aren't too surprised. Going .500 would almost be a loftly goal given last year's team's all-time worst finish of 2-8. What little talent was on the team was lost to graduation, and there didn't appear to be any freshmen that really stood out. Stranger things have happened, but making the post-season wouldn't be a surprise, it'd be more near to a miracle season.

It would be nice to see James Monroe to get back on track this season. I have enjoyed watching the matchups with Bluefield over the last decade. How is their line looking this season?

As for Graham.... I have no clue at all what to expect from them. I hope they have a good season, but I really don't know much about them this year. They have lacked size and strength on the line the last couple of years, hopefully that has improved. They have a couple of decent skill guys....but if they continue to get pushed around at the line of scrimmage, it could be a long season. Be interesting to watch them as well.

Who all is on Graham's line this year?? I have seen a few kids out that are jr's & sr's and they do look like they have been spending more time in the weight room than players did under the former coach. I still think they may be two years away from being really good again. Sticking by my prediction of them finishing around .500.

Who all is on Graham's line this year?? I have seen a few kids out that are jr's & sr's and they do look like they have been spending more time in the weight room than players did under the former coach. I still think they may be two years away from being really good again. Sticking by my prediction of them finishing around .500.

What does Grayson and Galax have back this year?

I'd be interested to know as well. I imagine that a few more kids will come out when practice officially starts. The upcoming 8th grade class had a few kids with good size.

What does Grayson and Galax have back this year?

Its my understanding that they both lost alot, Galax moreso than Grayson.

I think Galax lost QB, RB, FB/H-back, and WR

I think Grayson lost either RB or FB(maybe both) and QB, maybe a WR

Not sure on linemen for either team.

Its my understanding that they both lost alot, Galax moreso than Grayson.

I think Galax lost QB, RB, FB/H-back, and WR

I think Grayson lost either RB or FB(maybe both) and QB, maybe a WR

Not sure on linemen for either team.

Galax lost 80% of the roster and the JV team was terrible. Grayson lost a lot less in terms of numbers but very key positions and a lot of experience. They did not, however, loose their QB. Max Rodgers was only a sophomore last year and will be one of if not the best player in this part of the state. He is a special player and leader.

Galax lost

QB/S- Pack who will play for Concord next year

RB/LB- Vaughn who if I am correct also signed with Concord

RB/WR/LB- Fisher

WR/LB- George who will play for Emory

WR/S- McKinney who towered with George at 6'4"

DE/TE- Parsons who led the basketball team to 2 consecutive state rings

and quite a few linemen

Only two big names returning are Donte and Steven Peoples and as stated above the JV team was pitiful at best

Grayson lost their RB Xavier Rodriguez and FB Darren Anderson and rumors had it that the upcoming senior WR Mikey Rodgers transferred but left his very talented JR QB brother in Independence.

Galax will have to scratch and claw to finish above .500 and Grayson should be fairly competitive depending on how they soothe the losses in the backfield.

Sixcat, any idea on Ft. Chiswell?

Galax lost 80% of the roster and the JV team was terrible. Grayson lost a lot less in terms of numbers but very key positions and a lot of experience. They did not, however, loose their QB. Max Rodgers was only a sophomore last year and will be one of if not the best player in this part of the state. He is a special player and leader.

Galax will be 6-4 7-3.....in addition to RB's returning return best lineman in Sizemore? no. 51 and the QB will be a pleasent surprise. Obviously lost way too much talent to go 10-0 but will be very competitive in Div. 1 play-offs for a couple of rounds. Look for Grayson iabout 5-5,6-4....lost some very good Seniors , will not last long in play-offs as competitive as Div. 2 is, if they avoid injury bug unlijke last year they could be a little better.

Still think Fort is team to beat in MED and anxiuos to see Graham who improved later in season and have alot of returnerees

Galax lost more than just talent, they lost the leadership of several 4 year starters. They will be some pleasant surprises and I think the QB position will be just fine. Timmy Gable would have started in most other programs last fall. They have a lot of returning talent at the varsity level but you can't get around a JV team that got hammered all season. They will get little to no production coming up from JV.

Austin Pack is a once a generation kid. He will not, however, be headed to Concord as stated above. He has signed a letter on intent to play basketball at Methodist University in North Carolina. Jordan Vaughan has signed to play football at Concord. They will also miss Frankie Shalabi who was the MED Defensive player of the year and may have been region C also, I can't remember.

Sixcat, any idea on Ft. Chiswell?

Fort will be in a similar position as Galax in terms of varsiity returners but they have a lot of talent coming in from the JV team. I officiated the Fort/Galax JV game last fall and it was UGLY. Fort could have picked a score but the coaching staff called off the dogs.

One particular play stands out. Fort was facing 3rd and 35 from their own 3 yard line after a fumbled QB/center exchange on the previous play. One simple counter off left guard and the FB went 97 yards UNTOUCHED. Everyone in shouting distance saw it coming except the Galax defense who all went the other way on the counter. Much too simple a play call to go 97 yards untouched by a kid with absolutely no speed. Fort's coach remarked that he was just trying to get away from the goal line to punt.

Galax will be 6-4 7-3.....in addition to RB's returning return best lineman in Sizemore? no. 51 and the QB will be a pleasent surprise. Obviously lost way too much talent to go 10-0 but will be very competitive in Div. 1 play-offs for a couple of rounds. Look for Grayson iabout 5-5,6-4....lost some very good Seniors , will not last long in play-offs as competitive as Div. 2 is, if they avoid injury bug unlijke last year they could be a little better.

Still think Fort is team to beat in MED and anxiuos to see Graham who improved later in season and have alot of returnerees

I agree that Fort may be the team to beat in the MED but the MED will be down overall from last year. Grayson may make the playoffs but will not go anywhere and I think Galax has too much to replace to make any kind of run.

Galax lost

QB/S- Pack who will play for Concord next year

RB/LB- Vaughn who if I am correct also signed with Concord

RB/WR/LB- Fisher

WR/LB- George who will play for Emory

WR/S- McKinney who towered with George at 6'4"

DE/TE- Parsons who led the basketball team to 2 consecutive state rings

and quite a few linemen

Only two big names returning are Donte and Steven Peoples and as stated above the JV team was pitiful at best

Grayson lost their RB Xavier Rodriguez and FB Darren Anderson and rumors had it that the upcoming senior WR Mikey Rodgers transferred but left his very talented JR QB brother in Independence.

Galax will have to scratch and claw to finish above .500 and Grayson should be fairly competitive depending on how they soothe the losses in the backfield.

Jacob Fisher and Frankie Shalabi will be impossible to replace. They have motors that never stop.

Although Graham's score against Galax was 45-14 ( I think), Graham played fast on defense, and the score was a little misleading. If they did not lose too much, I think they will be a pleasant surprise and should be competive in the MED this year.

I have some very simple expectations. First that young men will be tested mentally and physically by a game they love. Second that cheerleaders and fans will cheer their hearts out for the home team. Third that the bands will bring spirit and pageantry to Friday nights. Fourth that I will boil, get drenched and freeze at some point this fall.

In other words win or lose, it will be a great fall.

clintwoods austin dotson,has also signed to play for concord, best of luck to both austins!!:)

Not to keep beating a dead horse but Austin Pack has signed a letter of intent to play basketball at Mathodist University in North Carolina, not Concord. Jordan Vauaghan (#33) has signed with Concord. I am not sure where the rumor of Packman going to Concord came from but it has taken on a life of it's own.

But as stated above, best of luck to both Austin's and Jordan.

If Galax lost so much and if Fort's on a somewhat even level, can Graham challenge for 2nd in the MED?

I think Graham has a great chance to be at the top end of the MED. My early prediction is every MED team will have a district loss and it could be a 3 way tie at the top.