'92 Dream Team vs. '12 Injury Prone Team

On the topic of past legends, Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman are still showing their stuff in Asia: http://dimemag.com/2012/07/video-jason-williams-dennis-rodman-scottie-pippen-show-out-in-the-philippines/

Pippen was an epic 4th quarter choke away from beating the Lakers in the Western Conference Finals and leading that 1999-2000 Portland Jail Blazers team to an NBA title. Just imagine, if Pippen won that title as their de facto leader, the discussions we'd have about (1) ranking Pippen much higher than he is now and (2) where that placed Jordan, since Jordan won nothing without Pippen but Pippen would've won something without Jordan.

But alas, no. Amazing how players can leave the NBA and continue to play abroad into their 40s.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pippen was an epic 4th quarter choke away from beating the Lakers in the Western Conference Finals and leading that 1999-2000 Portland Jail Blazers team to an NBA title. Just imagine, if Pippen won that title as their de facto leader, the discussions we'd have about (1) ranking Pippen much higher than he is now and (2) where that placed Jordan, since Jordan won nothing without Pippen but Pippen would've won something without Jordan.

But alas, no. Amazing how players can leave the NBA and continue to play abroad into their 40s.

After watching this years team play against Brazil a couple of days ago... I retract my prior statement that the 92 team would win by 40.... I now believe that they would win by 50.....

After watching this years team play against Brazil a couple of days ago... I retract my prior statement that the 92 team would win by 40.... I now believe that they would win by 50.....

If we could put those 2 teams on a court, I'd bet everything short of my life on Dream Team -39.5...

I agree... I don't even see what the "debate" is over... it's no contest, in my opinion.

The debate is over giving this current crop of players their due respect, which no one cares to do. What I find most fascinating is that the people who speak most vehemently about the '12 team's selfish play are the same ones who say they don't watch the NBA. How, then does one form an opinion if you don't take the time to actually watch?

The debate is over giving this current crop of players their due respect, which no one cares to do. What I find most fascinating is that the people who speak most vehemently about the '12 team's selfish play are the same ones who say they don't watch the NBA. How, then does one form an opinion if you don't take the time to actually watch?

I've watched the NBA for 35 years.... I definitely know my opinion....just stating it.....and yeah.... if you have actually watched "real" basketball in the past, you tend to not want to watch the selfishness that they bring to the court nowadays.

The debate is supposed to be about whether this year's team could beat the Dream Team, not whether they're good or not. I think it goes without saying that they are really talented and very well might bring home the gold, but would they be good enough to beat the 92 team if they could play one another?

The debate is supposed to be about whether this year's team could beat the Dream Team, not whether they're good or not. I think it goes without saying that they are really talented and very well might bring home the gold, but would they be good enough to beat the 92 team if they could play one another?

No, they wouldn't. But would they get beat by 40 points? Also a big N-O. The '12 team might get beat by 10 points. Even that would be a stretch.

There's a senseless attitude from those who don't follow these players who think that they are a bunch of overpaid slouches, and that is simply untrue. I also like how no one has mentioned that the US beat Britain 118-78 today, a score like the '92 team would put up against a team similarly skilled as any team the '92 squad faced. Pick and choosing our examples, aren't we?

No, they wouldn't. But would they get beat by 40 points? Also a big N-O. The '12 team might get beat by 10 points. Even that would be a stretch.

There's a senseless attitude from those who don't follow these players who think that they are a bunch of overpaid slouches, and that is simply untrue. I also like how no one has mentioned that the US beat Britain 118-78 today, a score like the '92 team would put up against a team similarly skilled as any team the '92 squad faced. Pick and choosing our examples, aren't we?

I believe that it would be closer than what most people picking the '92 team think (or want to think), but I still think the '92 team would definitely win it. I don't think the '12 team is a bunch of slouches, as I mentioned they are very talented and I bet they'll bring home the gold, but I just don't think they'd be able to beat the '92 team. I just think they are that much better all around.

The '12 team is the best basketball team in the world. No doubt.

The '92 team changed the world in terms of basketball

A lot of the European players now playing in the NBA give credit to that team for stoking their interest in the sport as youngsters.

The debate is over giving this current crop of players their due respect

Why? They haven't done ANYTHING to deserve the type of respect that is bestowed upon the Dream Team....

Why? They haven't done ANYTHING to deserve the type of respect that is bestowed upon the Dream Team....

You're right. They've done nothing but build a league as deep, if not deeper than that of the '92 era players, while re-imagining what athleticism looks like on the basketball court. If you put LeBron on the court during the early 90s, it would look the same as a Chevy Impala on a race track against the NASCAR version of a Chevy Impala. To top it off, the '12 team has had to, and will face, international teams who have 7'0" shooters that play at least four positions (Dirk, etc.), something that was built (after and due to) the '92 team. I think these guys have done enough to earn respect. And to be honest, it's only these SWVA forums I've found who still think this way. The rest of the world has moved on and realizes that what they're currently seeing is special.

You're right. They've done nothing but build a league as deep, if not deeper than that of the '92 era players, while re-imagining what athleticism looks like on the basketball court. If you put LeBron on the court during the early 90s, it would look the same as a Chevy Impala on a race track against the NASCAR version of a Chevy Impala. To top it off, the '12 team has had to, and will face, international teams who have 7'0" shooters that play at least four positions (Dirk, etc.), something that was built (after and due to) the '92 team. I think these guys have done enough to earn respect. And to be honest, it's only these SWVA forums I've found who still think this way. The rest of the world has moved on and realizes that what they're currently seeing is special.

You must be a youngster.... because these jokers would have no chance against the Dream Team.

Also, most sports talk radio hosts I have listened to on my agonizingly long drive to work the past couple of weeks agree with me.... and who cares really, the only opinion that matters to me is mine..... and to you, it should be yours. Somebody's opinion shouldn't really chap your arse.

You're right. They've done nothing but build a league as deep, if not deeper than that of the '92 era players, while re-imagining what athleticism looks like on the basketball court.

The NBA is not deep. From top to bottom, the NBA is the weakest that I've seen since the mid-70s. While, yes, they may be athletic, their basketball skills are sub-par...

You must be a youngster.... because these jokers would have no chance against the Dream Team.

Also, most sports talk radio hosts I have listened to on my agonizingly long drive to work the past couple of weeks agree with me.... and who cares really, the only opinion that matters to me is mine..... and to you, it should be yours. Somebody's opinion shouldn't really chap your arse.

Your lack of respect for these current players is astounding. And I love the "youngster" comment. "Back in my day, sonny, Hondo would smoke three cigarettes and take a shot of whiskey between the first quarter and second, and still put up 30-15 every night. That's a real ball player, a real man. Not this street, hippity hop junk that's goin' on today."

Also, go back through this thread and see what I've said about the actual topic, which is whether or not the '12 team could beat the '92 team. In one word, describe whether or not I think Lebron and Co. could beat Jordan and Co.

The NBA is not deep. From top to bottom, the NBA is the weakest that I've seen since the mid-70s. While, yes, they may be athletic, their basketball skills are sub-par...

How much of the NBA did you watch this season? On average, how many games did you watch per week and how many different teams did you watch play? I want to know how you've come to this conclusion, when it's so blatantly wrong compared the the past, oh, 20 years.

How much of the NBA did you watch this season? On average, how many games did you watch per week and how many different teams did you watch play? I want to know how you've come to this conclusion, when it's so blatantly wrong compared the the past, oh, 20 years.

I'm going to answer honestly...very few, because the "product" on the court is terrible. Kinda like American soccer...

I'm going to answer honestly...very few, because the "product" on the court is terrible. Kinda like American soccer...

OK GMan, now you're just trolling me. ;)

But after watching at least 10 minutes of all 71 games the Knicks played this year, I can assure you the product isn't nearly as bad as you think. Tons of compelling stories, incredible parity, good guys, bad guys, and everything in between. It's a different product from that of the Jordan era, but in my opinion, and equally fun product to watch. And this Olympic team is a good sample of the talent available today.

One word: overexpansion.

The talent's better than the 70s. Any educated fan would agree to this. But it's diluted over 30 teams instead of 13. You'll never have 9 HOFers on the court at the same time like 1986 again.

Nice 6-point win against some team from South America...

Luis Scola

Andres Nocioni

Pablo Prigioni

Fabricio Oberto

Oh... and some dude named Manu Ginobili.

But I digress. The '92 team would have beaten these South American chumps 745-10. THAT'S how good the '92 team was.

Luis Scola

Andres Nocioni

Pablo Prigioni

Fabricio Oberto

Oh... and some dude named Manu Ginobili.

But I digress. The '92 team would have beaten these South American chumps 745-10. THAT'S how good the '92 team was.

No.... but they would've beaten them by about 40....

So are you saying that Argentina is on par with the 92 Dream team as well.... because they were on Par with the 2012 team... just wondering??

Edited by futbolking

No.... but they would've beaten them by about 40....

Considering the '92 team never faced a team with more than two NBA players, I don't think we have room to speculate as to their performance against actually talented teams.

So are you saying that Argentina is on par with the 92 Dream team as well.... because they were on Par with the 2012 team... just wondering??

Transitive property. Instantly rendered illogical.

But since you've already shown that you have no regard for logic, then I guess you can also convince yourself that I think such things as this.

Just give up, bud. This is an insanely talented group of basketball players who play the game the right way. You really just come across as a grumpy old man who revels in the past while missing the spectacle sitting right in front of you.

Considering the '92 team never faced a team with more than two NBA players, I don't think we have room to speculate as to their performance against actually talented teams.

Transitive property. Instantly rendered illogical.

But since you've already shown that you have no regard for logic, then I guess you can also convince yourself that I think such things as this.

Just give up, bud. This is an insanely talented group of basketball players who play the game the right way. You really just come across as a grumpy old man who revels in the past while missing the spectacle sitting right in front of you.

Oh, I'm not missing much.

Just stating my opinion....it's not the same as yours...that's all. I feel like the 92 team would destroy the 2012 team. I don't debate that this is a very talented group of individual athletes....but they can't play the team sport of basketball nearly as good as the 92 team. Nothing you say will convince me otherwise. You can call me insane, illogical, a grumpy old man or that I have a few screws loose or whatever... My opinion will never change. In my mind the 92 team would destroy the 2012 team and then go up in the stands and slap their mommas...then steal their girlfriends and their bikes!! It's absolutely no contest at all. Hope that clarifies my opinion a little bit.

On a side note, I respect your opinion. I believe that you do believe in your opinion. I just happen to believe in mine too, no matter how ridiculous you think it might be....

Edited by futbolking