'92 Dream Team vs. '12 Injury Prone Team

legend11...how old were you in 1992? I can remember two years earlier, you were still in diapers...

In my opinion, you would have had to actually watch them before you could make an informed decision as to which team is better...'92 is WAY better than the '12 team.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

legend11...how old were you in 1992? I can remember two years earlier, you were still in diapers...

In my opinion, you would have had to actually watch them before you could make an informed decision as to which team is better...'92 is WAY better than the '12 team.

Just like the rest of the world, everything I know about basketball is based on the way the '92 team played. In my mind, they are the gold standard of perfect basketball, and nothing since then has even come close to comparing to them.

Then this '12 team rolls around... They have athleticism, they are cerebral players, they are unselfish, they are driven by competition. This current team is the closest we've been to the Gold Standard that the '92 team set during their summer together, and I think they should be shown an ounce of the reverence that we heaped upon the Dream Team 20 years ago. That's really what has irked me most about this conversation; there is a dismissal of the talent that we have right in front of us, and it's dismissed in a way that considers them selfish, prima donna players and people. And that's simply inaccurate.

No.... but they would've beaten them by about 40....

So are you saying that Argentina is on par with the 92 Dream team as well.... because they were on Par with the 2012 team... just wondering??

This is sheer, unintentional comedy.

4 NBA players > 2 NBA players.

2012 foreign leagues >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>1992 foreign leagues.

But whatevs.

This is sheer, unintentional comedy.

4 NBA players > 2 NBA players.

2012 foreign leagues >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>1992 foreign leagues.

But whatevs.

Dream Team could have beaten Angola by more than that in '92, they were up 64-16 at the half and called off the dogs in the second half.

Yesterday, Team USA was still trying to score late in the game. That is both sad and embarrassing...

Dream Team could have beaten Angola by more than that in '92, they were up 64-16 at the half and called off the dogs in the second half.

Yesterday, Team USA was still trying to score late in the game. That is both sad and embarrassing...

Gotta shoot every 24 seconds regardless, GMan. 71% from the field.

The dogs? Neither the Dream Team nor this year's team can "call off the dogs" because they don't have the luxury of putting in the white kids at the end of the bench. Every player on both the 1992 team bench and this year's team bench would start for any national team not named Team USA.

Like UVAO said, they still have to shoot the ball. They pulled back on the reigns as much as they could. They quit playing transition basketball and sat in a zone the entire 2nd half. It would've been sad and embarrassing and even disrespectful if the US treated Nigeria like a baby and pulled up from 3/4 court, ran the shot clock out on purpose, or anything else that constituted as a joking effort.

• 2 weeks later...

1992 - 5% of NBA players were foreign

2012 - 20% of NBA players are foreign

You can't compare. Times have changed and the world is catching up.

Absolutely. I am not so much in comparing the two teams by their performances against competition as I am comparing the two teams in a possible match up. Unfortunately we will never see the two teams play. The 1992 team definitely had the best front court. However, when you have Kobe, Lebron, Durant, Carmelo etc. you can bet your ass that it would be a good game between the two.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/08/michael-jordan-takes-on-the-2012-dream-team/1

Looks like Jordan isn't letting this debate go. I was waiting for someone from the Dream Team to make a comment after the London games. But about the video game, without having Scottie Pippen in the lineup, Dream Team fans won't be fully happy. There's always a hitch somewhere.