Union Scrimmage

UNIONFAN

I havent heard any results on Union. I have been out of town so I had no idea if they have even scrimmaged but if so whats the results and how do they look?

Nt that the first scrimmage is the best indicator,but I heard they struggled

The Bears performed much as might be expected in the scrimmage against Tennessee High. Vikings outplayed Bears but the veteren running backs did fine and the linebackers played well for Union. Young line struggled to protect sophmore QB. Tennessee ran the hurry up spread offense effectively during the scrimmage on the artificial turf at UVA WISE and scored several times on pass plays - but after first two exchanges of plays, the score would have been 1 touchdown to 1 touchdown. The final score was probably 4 TDs to 1 TD Tennessee High favor but it's hard to say just when first teams were in and out. Tennesse High much more together with extra week of practice. Union fans can expect a similar season as last year - with a good ground game and probably some close contests.

Heard about the same. QB has no experience and is small, should trade out the tide-end and make him the QB. Line is small but quick and strong. Defense will carry this team to any wins, the offense will struggle. 5-5 season, but should handle Central, dont know about Cwood and Burton.

JIB lost their WBs but still have Miles, Crowder and their WRs. Dont know about their Line.

Clintwood is loaded at the skill positions(3 deep at RB and 3-4 deep at TE and WR) and struggling on the line.

Is the samll QB fast? Maybe Union is just gonna go to a run based offense full time and need someone to run the Keepers and Bootlegs?

In that case it kinda makes sense to play the TE at TE, if all you can do is run the ball then load up and run it.

Run the ball and play good D is the game plan everyone thought Union would go with eventually anyway.

I think the new QB, Tanner Hall, for Union is going to be a really good player - he's 5'10" 180 lbs, left handed, and a much better runner than football fans in the Gap have seen at QB in a long time. His passing game is limited at present but will develop!

Not sure but isn't he the wrestler that is being recruited by some Div 1 schools like Ohio State and West Virginia.............I'm thinking I heard he wasn't playing because of those opportunities.

Im not sure who it was but someone got suspended or maybe kicked off the team for awhile before comming back. Maybe it was Maggard, idk

I think the issue was that he was just basically a bad teammate

I know the kid your talking about. That was the year before last. It was the Goins kid.

Not sure but isn't he the wrestler that is being recruited by some Div 1 schools like Ohio State and West Virginia.............I'm thinking I heard he wasn't playing because of those opportunities.[/

That's what I've heard as well.

Not sure but isn't he the wrestler that is being recruited by some Div 1 schools like Ohio State and West Virginia.............I'm thinking I heard he wasn't playing because of those opportunities.[/

That's what I've heard as well.

I heard that too-can't blame him

I know the kid your talking about. That was the year before last. It was the Goins kid.

OH! my bad. I knew it was one of their Wing Backs, just got the year wrong.

If he is getting recruited for a D1 schlorship then you cant blame him for focusing on that sport

Dont know about how good the Hall kid will do for Union, but hope he progresses. As far as seeing a great runner in a long time at QB, it hasnt been very long, 5 years, since the Gap had a QB that ran pretty well, might not have been the best at decisions, but could run like a deer. The problem with the Hall kid may be seeing across the line, much like the last QB for Union. But, in reality, Union will be a power run team, as long as he can hand the ball off and hit the short tight-end pass he will do fine.

Edited by chubzfan

The thing I like most about Tanner Hall is the fact that he isn't afraid of taking a hit when he has had to. Instead of throwing into coverage, he is able to bow up and take the hit at the line. Like someone mentioned above, he won't have to worry much about the passing game as Union has one of the better backfields in Southwest Virginia this year. 5 kids rotating out is pretty nice. After a disapointing season last year, I'm sure they are ready to be back on top this year. Good luck to everyone friday and Go Bears!

How did Union hold up in the later part of the game...they looked really good with fresh legs against Grundy but seemed to get tired pretty fast. Hard to tell a lot in games like that where you are playing a fresh team against one that is already a little tired.

I thought Union looked pretty good overall...defense and RB's were tough.

I, once again, did not get to go to the jamboree but from what Ive heard around town is Union is getting back to the basics of swva football. Smash the ball up the gut with a stout back and the tightend seam when needed. Dont ge me wrong, Im not saying Union will go to state, but that is the winning combination for many of SWVA football champions. It takes sometimes years for schools to learn that when you have slow white kids the spread isnt a good option but I feel like the Clintwood/ Union game last year should be proof enough for a young coach turner to realize that. Turner grew up and cut his teeth on smashmouth football. He got to play on and against some of the best teams that the state of VA has ever seen period, and those teams ran the ball 80% of the time. Granted it took 7ish games for Turner to realize that the kids today arent near as tough as the kids from the 90s and the T formation cant be ran by the kids today. The I formation on the other is by far the winningest formation in this state and Union will have good sucsess running it.

Talk is that Union's line is smallish in size. I measure highschool football size a little different than the number on a weight scale or highth chart. To me High school ball size is measured in heart and desire. Ive seen 180lb linemen on winning teams because they had what it took to smack a bigger kid in chin play after play without fear. If Union's coaching staff can see the heart in there kids and play those kids who want to win then I feel they will be fine this season. Heart is an inmeasurable attribute that can only be seen by those men with the same inmeasurable attribute.

It wil be hard to say how they will progress week to week, but they seem to hold up decent. The first team beat Tennessee High 8-7 but they didn't play long enough to show stamina of course. Scrimmages are used for a learning experience and its just too hard to say if they are conditioned well or not. I imagine we will find out this week against Lee High and Richlands on the road. I always look forward to the Richlands-Union game. Even when one of the teams are down, they always keep it a relatively close game. It took a field goal in the final couple of minutes to beat Union last year. This high school football sure is some exciting stuff!