Tazewell vs. Richlands JV

GMan

Not only beat you real bad but, don't like you! Don't like the program, the coaches or the community either!

wow did you hate us that bad when you were beating us year in and year out? or is this a more recent hate?, it's kind of suprising that Richlands has not done anything to you personally or to your Team or your program, its not Richlands fault that you guys had a few bad years-you can blame carlock's replacement for that, or that your backup qb transfered here, we didn't encourage that, we've never recruited players-they've recruited us...and also I cheer for you guys only when you're not playing us and i could probably speak for most of the Richlands fans on here when I say that.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red Shirting in High School. Or is it more appropriately Gray Shirting? Interesting. I wish I had been held back. I was 6'1 and weighed 135 lbs my senior year in HS. The next year after I graduated I put on about 15 lbs. It may have helped me make second string. Full disclosure: Truth be known the weight gain was probably due to more beer drinking, and not an extra year to mature physically.

^^^That was sarcasm, in case it wasn't clear.^^^

Here's my 2 cents. It probably won't be popular to my fellow Richlands posters.

I'm against holding a student back unless he struggles academically. I don't remember it ever being done for sports reasons when I was in school. I realize that's been over 40 years now, but the same principles should apply today. One extra year at the eighth grade level can make a huge difference in a child physically. Suddenly you have smaller, less developed kids playing against kids who should be high school freshmen, and to me that's not a good thing. Let eighth graders play against eighth graders. That's the way it was meant to be. I realize there will be exceptions when students are held back academically, but I'm 100% against holding a student back strictly for sports.

Edited by blueinbama

I'm against holding a student back unless he struggles academically. I don't remember it ever being done for sports reasons when I was in school. I realize that's been over 40 years now, but the same principles should apply today. One extra year at the eighth grade level can make a huge difference in a child physically. Suddenly you have smaller, less developed kids playing against kids who should be high school freshmen, and to me that's not a good thing. Let eighth graders play against eighth graders. That's the way it was meant to be. I realize there will be exceptions when students are held back academically, but I'm 100% against holding a student back strictly for sports.

I concur. If it's possible to be objective, I see no long-term benefit for anyone associated with this kind of practice. (Assuming that it is happening, of course.)

Red Shirting in High School. Or is it more appropriately Gray Shirting? Interesting. I wish I had been held back. I was 6'1 and weighed 135 lbs my senior year in HS. The next year after I graduated I put on about 15 lbs. It may have helped me make second string. Full disclosure: Truth be known the weight gain was probably due to more beer drinking, and not an extra year to mature physically.

^^^That was sarcasm, in case it wasn't clear.^^^

Agreed. I was young for my class (was still 16 when I began my SR year) and probably should have been sent to grade K a year later than I was. That "extra" year (which was my first year of college) I gained over 30 pounds...which would have made a huge difference if I was still a SR in high school.

I concur. If it's possible to be objective, I see no long-term benefit for anyone associated with this kind of practice. (Assuming that it is happening, of course.)

...which, it is...