Tazewell vs. Richlands JV

GMan

C'mon, when I'm talking with parents who have kids at RMS and RHS and they are the ones telling me all the kids (by name, mind you) that were held back in 8th grade FOR SPORTS, not at any other reason, that's all the proof I need.

I have no reason to make this stuff up...I'm just the messenger...

Sorry that my feeble attempt at humor apparently didn't register.

I think I've said before that if any given athletic program of any public school outside of a major population center is consistently successful, then that merits scrutiny. And although this won't make me popular with the hometown crowd, the success of my alma mater doesn't appear to be organic by a long shot.

Having offered that concession, I'm not sure that the holdback issue can really be addressed because it's completely within the parents' rights under enrollment policy. Parents "hold their children back" for any number of reasons. (Personally, my youngest won't be entering kindergarten until next year even though his 5th birthday occurs this November.) I think that GMan and I agree that the practice of repeating 8th grade for the purpose of improving athletic circumstances is objectionable at the very least. Unfortunately, unless a specific prohibition on that practice is enacted, that's not an argument that can be won on any kind of moral or legal basis by either side.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Quarterback and #15 for Richlands Middle School just turned 13, they have never held back. Their is only one hold back that played the other night #54. Alot of hard work during the summer has payed off for them. Come up with another excuse! Winners never make excuses!

The Quarterback and #15 for Richlands Middle School just turned 13, they have never held back. Their is only one hold back that played the other night #54. Alot of hard work during the summer has payed off for them. Come up with another excuse! Winners never make excuses!

That's one expression I never "got", you know? "Winners don't make excuses." Well, of course they don't. They won whatever the heck it is they tried to win. And if they did, they'd be a "sore winner". I can see it now: "Oh, we'd have won by 70, but those cheaters had an illegal player on the team."

Thanks for entertaining my rambling. Carry on.

Funny. That's not what I was told by someone from Richlands who was at the game. He stated just the opposite that Richlands' kids were huge compared to the kids from Tazewell and HE is the one who stated what I posted in the original post about what a difference an extra year in 8th grade makes.

He too said Richlands would be loaded for the next several years...

I was at the game also, and I saw what I saw, not picking fights, but I do know that the rbs, dbs, and the qb, were not holdbacks, also they only threw maybe 2 passes the whole game.

There are rising numbers of kids who are held back for a size or height advantage in sports. And still others are held back just because the parent simply doesn’t want their kid to be the youngest or the last to do things. In still other cases, the rationale is that an older child is more likely to be confident, and a leader.

Richlands is not the only school to do this, If it helps a kid get a Scholarship to help pay for College, whats the big deal. Why does so many people want to cry about this issue?

Maybe, just maybe, the kids buy into the program here at Richlands and actually listen to their coaches, instead of running a coach off after a year or so when they dont get their way. Maybe hitting the weight room year round is why some of our kids are a little bigger and stronger!

There are rising numbers of kids who are held back for a size or height advantage in sports. And still others are held back just because the parent simply doesn’t want their kid to be the youngest or the last to do things. In still other cases, the rationale is that an older child is more likely to be confident, and a leader.

Richlands is not the only school to do this, If it helps a kid get a Scholarship to help pay for College, whats the big deal. Why does so many people want to cry about this issue?

Maybe, just maybe, the kids buy into the program here at Richlands and actually listen to their coaches, instead of running a coach off after a year or so when they dont get their way. Maybe hitting the weight room year round FOR AN EXTRA YEAR is why some of our kids are a little bigger and stronger!

There. Fixed it for you...:D

Honestly, the fix for this is agnonizingly simple (VHSL Rule 28-5-1). You can go about it in two ways.

First, change "August" to "September" and change "19" to "18". That would fix the Stretch-Armstrong-like bending of a rule that was designed to help kids who legitimately failed a grade. I don't like this fix, because it does punish a kid who might have failed kindergarten.

Second, add a new sentence at the end that reads: "However, if any student repeats a scholastic year above fifth grade, either academically or by parental choice, such student forfeits one year of varsity eligibility."

I was at both games. 8th grade game was dominated by 2-3 players from richlands. #15 was a stud. You could tell Tazewell's 8th grade team hadn't scrimmaged yet and they played several 7th graders. Richlands was well coached and very prepared.

The JV game wasn't ever close. You could tell that richlands practices seperately, like always, from the varsity. Tazewell never has because of lack of numbers and will struggle to compete with Richlands with kids that stand around during practice. I'm not judging or disagreeing with any of it, just the facts. It shows even more at the varsity level because those kids are getting more reps during their freshman and sophomore years in practice. Tazewell's kids are getting beat to death and never learn the plays or defensive scheme(which also change every year here lately LOL). Coach Allen will be fine. The kids love him, give him their best effort. It will take some time but I think we have a coach that will turn things around up here. His biggest issue will be getting the youth league fixed and try to model it like all the great traditions around here do.

Honestly, the fix for this is agnonizingly simple (VHSL Rule 28-5-1). You can go about it in two ways.

First, change "August" to "September" and change "19" to "18". That would fix the Stretch-Armstrong-like bending of a rule that was designed to help kids who legitimately failed a grade. I don't like this fix, because it does punish a kid who might have failed kindergarten.

Second, add a new sentence at the end that reads: "However, if any student repeats a scholastic year above fifth grade, either academically or by parental choice, such student forfeits one year of varsity eligibility."

Why the need for a fix? The age limit is already established. You also want to punish kids that may have started at a younger age and decide to hold back later? The perceived "problem" is greatly exaggerated...

Thank god they haven't yet! My son had a legit reason for holding back and wouldn't get to play sports his senior year.

I can remember when I played basketball in 7th and 8th grade when we played Gate City. It is funny now thinking about it. But half of their team had goatees and seemed like they were 6'5". They may have drove to the game for all I know. It was nearly impossible getting a rebound. It was always joked about they were intentionally held back. Maybe it wasn't a joke... I really don't know.

I just can't think that it would be advantageous academically to hold a kid back if they aren't struggling. Obviously, if they aren't performing academically at the level they should, then yes. But only for sports reasons, to me, that seems absurd. I couldn't do that to my girl. Although she is only 6 now, that just seems like the wrong thing to do for their sake. Not being able to graduate with their friends that they have grown up with for years. JMO

Be safe out there.

EW

I can remember when I played basketball in 7th and 8th grade when we played Gate City. It is funny now thinking about it. But half of their team had goatees and seemed like they were 6'5". They may have drove to the game for all I know. It was nearly impossible getting a rebound. It was always joked about they were intentionally held back. Maybe it wasn't a joke... I really don't know.

I just can't think that it would be advantageous academically to hold a kid back if they aren't struggling. Obviously, if they aren't performing academically at the level they should, then yes. But only for sports reasons, to me, that seems absurd. I couldn't do that to my girl. Although she is only 6 now, that just seems like the wrong thing to do for their sake. Not being able to graduate with their friends that they have grown up with for years. JMO

Be safe out there.

EW

That just shows you what some people will do just to win football and basketball games...sad part is, they think its OK...

I was at both games. 8th grade game was dominated by 2-3 players from richlands. #15 was a stud. You could tell Tazewell's 8th grade team hadn't scrimmaged yet and they played several 7th graders. Richlands was well coached and very prepared.

The JV game wasn't ever close. You could tell that richlands practices seperately, like always, from the varsity. Tazewell never has because of lack of numbers and will struggle to compete with Richlands with kids that stand around during practice. I'm not judging or disagreeing with any of it, just the facts. It shows even more at the varsity level because those kids are getting more reps during their freshman and sophomore years in practice. Tazewell's kids are getting beat to death and never learn the plays or defensive scheme(which also change every year here lately LOL). Coach Allen will be fine. The kids love him, give him their best effort. It will take some time but I think we have a coach that will turn things around up here. His biggest issue will be getting the youth league fixed and try to model it like all the great traditions around here do.

Thanks for posting barondawg.

Any person that has been on this board in the past year, knows what has happened in recent years to the Tazewell football program (at all levels) and really should not be surprised at the score. You stated much of the reasoning behind the lopsided score, but that doesn't make for an interesting read, does it?

The Richlands feeder system, from the peewees on up is "second to none" in getting these very young kids acclimated to football. Really, it's not any different that any other sport... the younger you start, the more reps, the more practice...you're going too probably perform at a higher level than ones that haven't been in that type of a system.

Someone from Richlands previously posted on this thread only ONE holdback played the other night. However, it appears on this board, it doesn't matter, if only ONE did play... for anyone, other than a Richlands fan to acknowledge that statement, doesn't make for a lively debate. Sadly, at the expense of the players and coaches, after all, hardwork and effort couldn't possibly be the reason...it has to be something more nefarious for their success.

You know what amazes me, in the time I've been on this board, I don't really remember any Richlands fans relishing in the problems at Tazewell or Graham. I can, honestly, say I truly want these programs to return to the "glory days" of yesteryear...why, you ask, because we are fellow Tazewell Countians.

Okay, have at it...

You couldn't have said it any better trueblue! Great post and i appreciate the other post from a Tazewell fan. Gman just hates us that's a given. I also pull for all the SWVA teams all the time with the only exception, them being on our schedule! Gman i really hope you dont hate our football program as much as you act like you do.

Thank god they haven't yet! My son had a legit reason for holding back and wouldn't get to play sports his senior year.

For every 1 that has a legitimate excuse, there are 10 abusers. And I might be too generous with 1-in-10. Besides, if it's a medical issue, let's just expand on the framework I've given here. I'm not closed to suggestions. I promise. We just can't be too loose, though, because a loose rule is worse than no rule at all. I pray someone from the TCSB reads my last sentence and takes it to heart.

Edited by UVAObserver

You couldn't have said it any better trueblue! Great post and i appreciate the other post from a Tazewell fan. Gman just hates us that's a given. I also pull for all the SWVA teams all the time with the only exception, them being on our schedule! Gman i really hope you dont hate our football program as much as you act like you do.

i_live_to_stir_the_pot_tshirt-p235758243249441515t5tr_400.jpg

You know what amazes me, in the time I've been on this board, I don't really remember any Richlands fans relishing in the problems at Tazewell or Graham. I can, honestly, say I truly want these programs to return to the "glory days" of yesteryear...why, you ask, because we are fellow Tazewell Countians.

Okay, have at it...

Don't worry, the Tazewell County School Board has opened the borders again...I expect Coach Williams will be recruiting the finest of players from the WV side in short order...the G-Men WILL be back...:rolleyes:...TIC...sarcasm...sort of...

NO, it doesn't happen EVERYWHERE...only at schools where they feel the need to bend the rules to get an advantage on everyone else...

And it is encouraged at Richlands.

I can state for a fact that no player on the TMS 8th grade team has been held back for sports.

Okay, have at it...

The RHS fans aren't relishing in the problems now because they're winning. Believe me, Richlands people complained a TON when their team sucked while Graham was getting transfers from Bluefield and winning the SWD and Region IV regularly.

Na he don't hate us. He is looking and hoping for a weak class to come thru so his team might have more of a chance of beating them. Talk last year was Richlands doesn't have much talent coming up, going to have some down years.... Seems that has changed so they have to blame something. Can't be the program, the coaching, community involvement, the work ethic and desire these fellows have to buy into.

Fussing about somebody learning how to work for something they want? don't sound like a g-man.

Take notes Richlands fans and players these guys are wanting to beat you real bad.