Clintwood /Hazard

redtiger

Clintwood spent too much time on defense in the second half especially the fourth quarter. They controlled the tempo in the first half Hazard controlled the second. Big plays and conditioning did them in. Cramps everywhere in the fourth for Clintwood on a night that was only 73 degrees. Both teams were big and athletic, and line play was pretty dang good considering how many were new for both sides.

Turning point of the game was the fourth down stop by Hazard with Clintwood knocking on the door. Other big plays was the Hazard score 4 seconds before half, big screen play the led to a score later for Hazard, and Clintwood's Qb overthrew a wide open reciever by inches on fourth down that would have been six.

Surprising sight of the night was field turf at a single A high school I wasn't expecting this.

11 kid for Clintwood is something to watch. He is a special player and Clintwood has a heck of a team that plays hard.

Cramps everywhere in the fourth for Clintwood on a night that was only 73 degrees. l

Don't know about elsewhere but it was the same in the Lee/Union game too. Both teams had the issue but much more so for Lee who had a player at least cramp up on almost every or other play in the 2nd half.

Other things to consider was Hazard played probably around 16-18 kids were Clintwood played with closer to 11 maybe 13 tops. Hazard is a spread team so Clintwood was in space and covering a lot of grass all night.

Well...Clintwood outplayed them in the first half to a 17-10 lead, could of been 17-3 if the obvious offensive pass interference in the end zone was called. Second half Hazard played well and so did Clintwood.........don't really know how to explain what happened to the Wave but will try and I am not making excuse's, it was back and forth in the second half. Hazard did score twice though, their final score came with I believe just a little over two min's left in the game. Clintwood only had to punt twice and on the second punt they faked it successfully. Clintwood also only had one turnover, interception that both the receiver and defender came down with but the ref ruled the defender had more of the ball. Five two way Player's for the Wave started cramping badly in the second half, and what really hurt was one of the players was Robbie Mullin's. Worst cramping I have ever seen, with six mins left in the game he cramped up like a concrete brick factory, one really hard tight one after another and trust me it broke his heart. and he did not return.

The good that came out of all the first stingers be off the field was that many younger players got into the game and did a really good job, and the experience they got in such a big game this early in the season will really payoff for the Wave in the long run. Hazard player's were good sports and even had a couple cramp late in the game also.

Clintwood's line played good all night, I even think won the battle in trench's the first half. But I will tell you one thing this Team has a lot of Heart, and they really play well together. The loss hurt them a lot, and next week they have Haysi at home. August 31, full moon, and all scientist will tell ya the tides are at there highest during a full moon!

Can someone who went to the game give us some details? Clintwood seemed to be doing pretty well early. What happened?

Hazard Scores with 4 seconds left in the half...obvious to all the fans near me it was pass interference and not called ... that was the play of the game...also Hazard converted several 3rd and long plays that could have been stopped and kept drives going...Clintwood looked much better than when they played Honaker ...Thing Clintwood only had a couple penaltys the whole night...Clintwood will get better as they progress ... Hazard played a good game and the field was very nice ..

Thanks for the info, always try to keep up with the other county team.

I know Clintwood would like to have won(and SWVA would have liked them to win) but thats really not what this game was about, it was about testing themselves against a very good team that they wont see again this season.

Oh, and hawk,

Well...Clintwood outplayed them in the first half to a 17-10 lead, could of been 17-3 if the obvious offensive pass interference in the end zone was called.

That was the play of the game. I had a friend from Appalachia who came with me and he said it was the worst call he'd ever seen in his life. I kept telling him "wait and see. That call will cost us the game.". Take that one away and Clintwood wins by 1. Was still impressed with the way Clintwood played. Their OL wasn't great but got some decent push at times. The thing that worries me is that Hazard's DL weren't very big. They were tall lean kids without a lot of mass to them. So, I'm not sure how much Clintwood's OL progressed or if Hazards DL isn't up to snuff. Either way, I was pleased with the effort and with the progression so far. Looks like they are getting better every week.

True, forgot about that.

Clintwood was just so dominant in the second half that I think everyone(including me) tends to forget how close Union came to winning that game. But did Clintwood win that game or did Union lose it?

Man, you win a state championship on a non called pass interference in the end zone and gripe about loosing a regular season game over a non called pass interference.

Expectations run high! :)

True, forgot about that.

Clintwood was just so dominant in the second half that I think everyone(including me) tends to forget how close Union came to winning that game. But did Clintwood win that game or did Union lose it?

Clintwood won that game. Granted, Union came out the second half with a solid lead and ran the spread (which i hate) and made some costly mistakes, but Clintwood simply outplayed out maned and out hit Union in the second half to win that game. You cant say Union lost that game cause quiet frankly, its impossible to loose a 20 to 6 lead if the other team dont beat you out of it.

Poor coaching desicions is an understatment. As I mentioned, Union came out in the second half running the spread which lead to three turnovers. In the First half the T was working for an avg of 6 yards a pop. Even with those horrible coaching choices, the Greenwave came out on fire in the second half and drove the ball down Union's throat. Just goes to show that heart is an inmesserable attribute.

Union had a 20 point lead in last year's game against Clintwood. The Green Wave never gave up and played really hard in the second half - but without the three big Bear turnovers, the Wave would not have pulled off the come back. At all levels - pro, college, and highschool - most big come backs in football are fueled by turnovers. The final score was Clintwood 30 and Union 26. As with all Bear Games last season, it was exciting right till the end!

Man, you win a state championship on a non called pass interference in the end zone and gripe about loosing a regular season game over a non called pass interference.

Expectations run high! :)

Sorry to disagree with you on the non call pass interference against Galax at state ... refs were right there ...however they did call a pass interference on the wave that kept your drive alive to even let that final play happen ... This is my opinion ...Hope you guys have a great season .. Football is lots of fun ..I'm excited about this yr to see how everything plays out in the next couple months!:)