Carroll County and redistricting

trigger

They alternate home and away each year....so, you're looking at 2 Roanoke Schools, Salem and Franklin County? CBURG, BBURG and Pulaski are relatively close. So, if 2 are home and 2 are away....that makes 2 Road trips each year of about an hour and a half....doesn't seem too bad to me.

Because the cumulative total travel time is more than doubled. You are replacing 1 or 2 trips of that length per sport, per year with several.

Example, you are replacing 1 - 80 mile trip to Abingdon and 1 - 80 mile trip to Richlands with similar trips to Salem, Hidden Valley, Cave Spring and Franklin County.

The cumulative total of those schedules would more than double travel time and distances. Quit thinking solely in terms of football and consider ALL sports.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reason being?

One of the objections to Franklin County is the fact that they are twice as big as most members of the River Ridge. Yet Carroll County thinks it's plausible to overlook the same discrepancy relative to them and the MED.

There are plenty of other reasons to dismiss their appeal. But in the cosmic scheme of things, it probably doesn't matter much to anyone outside of Hillsville.

Maybe some arrangement should be made to allow Carroll County to compete in North Carolina.

I am not defending Carroll County because I agree, they will duck anybody to have an easier schedule. They dropped Galax from it's regular season football schedule because of "lack of competitive balance" several years ago just like Floyd. Galax has waxed Carroll in a benefit game each of the past 3 seasons.

The problem is the travel to Rocky Mount, not travel time. There is no easy way to get to Rocky Mount from Hillsville. You either take on Bent Mountain or Lovers Leap and I would not want my child making that trip on a bus several times per year.

Is US 221 to VA 40 really that bad?

Given that I had to ride on a bus twice on US 52 through McDowell County, I have a hard time believing that.

One of the objections to Franklin County is the fact that they are twice as big as most members of the River Ridge. Yet Carroll County thinks it's plausible to overlook the same discrepancy relative to them and the MED.

You statement is true but I thought I would add to it. A major difference is Carroll does not want to play against teams such as Franklin County or even Salem, Hidden Valley or Cave Spring for that matter. I think you have mentioned that before. Nobody in the MED is afraid to play Carroll. Most MED teams, pick a sport, could beat Carroll or at least be very competitive despite having half the enrollment.

There are plenty of other reasons to dismiss their appeal. But in the cosmic scheme of things, it probably doesn't matter much to anyone outside of Hillsville.

Most people associated with Grayson or Galax would care based on the proximity of the schools and the friendships between the kids who would be most affected.

Maybe some arrangement should be made to allow Carroll County to compete in North Carolina.

At least this area would get some attention for its success. It sure does not coming from Virginia.

Christiansburg, Bassett, Grayson County, Mount Airy NC and Martinsville on your schedule is hardly ducking anybody.

AVERAGE travel time is twice as long in the River Ridge. There's more to it than Franklin County. Galax lies half in Carroll Co. Would you have no problem with your kids going to Roanoke or beyond for five of their eight district road games, Interstate or not?

When Carroll and Galax stopped playing football, Galax had lost about 15 straight to CC.

Galax waxed everybody last year. Carroll won two years ago.

So, Carroll plays 2 Piedmont and 1 River Ridge team anyway? Interesting...

Is US 221 to VA 40 really that bad?

Given that I had to ride on a bus twice on US 52 through McDowell County, I have a hard time believing that.

It is when you consider the 2,000 foot elevation change and the switchbacks.

You statement is true but I thought I would add to it. A major difference is Carroll does not want to play against teams such as Franklin County or even Salem, Hidden Valley or Cave Spring for that matter. I think you have mentioned that before. Nobody in the MED is afraid to play Carroll. Most MED teams, pick a sport, could beat Carroll or at least be very competitive despite having half the enrollment.

Most people associated with Grayson or Galax would care based on the proximity of the schools and the friendships between the kids who would be most affected.

At least this area would get some attention for its success. It sure does not coming from Virginia.

If I have weighed in previously on the subject of Carroll County's scheduling philosophy, I've honestly forgotten about it. But the folks in Hillsville do seem to have a history of avoiding competition if they can help it. They could have been members of the Blue Ridge District in the mid 1990's, but opted to petition the SWD instead.

Lest I be misunderstood.... I don't have any sympathy for any consolidated schools that have travel "problems" in SW Virginia. In the mad rush to "save money" in those localities, their leadership made a conscious choice with regard to athletics. If it's truly that much of a hardship, there's nothing compelling them to maintain any athletic programs of any type.

Just imagine the money that both Carroll and Franklin could both save by giving up football altogether.

It is when you consider the 2,000 foot elevation change and the switchbacks.

There is no objective basis to this argument. That said, here's my two cents....

The situation you're describing can't be much more daunting than riding back roads to play basketball games during the middle of the week in places like Hurley, Haysi, and Whitewood. (Which I did plenty back in the day.)

If I have weighed in previously on the subject of Carroll County's scheduling philosophy, I've honestly forgotten about it. But the folks in Hillsville do seem to have a history of avoiding competition if they can help it. They could have been members of the Blue Ridge District in the mid 1990's, but opted to petition the SWD instead.

Lest I be misunderstood.... I don't have any sympathy for any consolidated schools that have travel "problems" in SW Virginia. In the mad rush to "save money" in those localities, their leadership made a conscious choice with regard to athletics. If it's truly that much of a hardship, there's nothing compelling them to maintain any athletic programs of any type.

Just imagine the money that both Carroll and Franklin could both save by giving up football altogether.

All I know about the mid 90's or any other time prior to 2008 is what I have been told. It is my understanding that Carroll was to be placed in the Blue Ridge when it was formed after the fall of the New River. If Carroll has made a habit out of being displeased with any and all decisions being handed down by the VHSL R/R committee, they deserve what they get. As for consolidation, I can see where this has been a commonly overlooked aspect.

I don't have any association with Carroll, I just feel for those kids who may be forced out of athletics because of something that can be easily solved. As I have stated previously, most MED schools play or have played Carroll recently anyway so allowing them into the MED is not an issue.

There is no objective basis to this argument. That said, here's my two cents....

The situation you're describing can't be much more daunting than riding back roads to play basketball games during the middle of the week in places like Hurley, Haysi, and Whitewood. (Which I did plenty back in the day.)

There is a big difference between a 20 mile trip with elevation change and an 80 mile trip with elevation change.

Hurley has an elevation of less than 1,000', Haysi is around 1,250' and Richlands (based on your username) is 1,900'. Hillsville is 2,557' and Rocky Mount is around 900'. See the difference. We are not talking about a few hundred feet in elevation change, we are talking about nearly a couple thousand feet.

Edited by sixcat

I just feel for those kids who may be forced out of athletics

I appreciate that. However, Carroll County already did that to a sizable portion of its local population when it consolidated schools. If the MED wants to admit Carroll, that's a purely local issue and I have absolutely no opinion about it. But I find Carroll's opposition to Franklin County to be silly -- and I'm being very charitable in the way I choose my adjectives here.

There is a big difference between a 20 mile trip with elevation change and an 80 mile trip with elevation change.

There certainly is. For one thing, 20 miles is a fine distance if you are a crow. However, the 38.5 mile trip from Richlands to Hurley takes over an hour, with a sizable portion of that journey occurring on State Route 643 (and a couple of other roads with 600-something designations).

As I alluded previously, travel hardship is pretty much a matter of opinion.

Hurley has an elevation of less than 1,000', Haysi is around 1,250' and Richlands (based on your username) is 1,900'. Hillsville is 2,557' and Rocky Mount is around 900'. See the difference. We are not talking about a few hundred feet in elevation change, we are talking about nearly a couple thousand feet.

You're just as dead if you tumble down a 650-foot embankment as you are if you tumble down one that's 1600 feet.

Without some study that takes into account road width, guardrail placement, etc...it's a matter of opinion.

And I, for one, am not fond of using "difference of opinion" to justify a move that pretty much ensures unbalanced competition.

Think about being a high school kid playing for this school and live near the North Carolina border (I am assuming some kids live that far from the school).

Let's say you live about 40 minutes away from the high school and you have a Tuesday night basketball game at Franklin County.

You don't get back to the school around say 10:30, have a 40 minute drive home, some homework to finish and then you have to get up at about 7 a.m. to go back to school the next day.

That would be extremely tough.

Think about being a high school kid playing for this school.

Let's say you live about 40 minutes away from the high school and you have a Tuesday night basketball game at Franklin County.

You don't get back to the school around say 10:30, have a 40 minute drive home, some homework to finish and then you have to get up at about 7 a.m. to go back to school the next day.

Let's say you live about 40 minutes away from the high school and you have a Tuesday night basketball game at Graham.

You don't get back to the school around say 10:30, have a 40-minute drive home, some homework to finish and then you have to get up at about 7 a.m. to go back to school the next day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's say you live about 40 minutes away from the high school and you have a Tuesday night basketball game at Cave Spring.

You don't get back to the school around say 10:30, have a 40-minute drive home, some homework to finish and then you have to get up at about 7 a.m. to go back to school the next day.

Excellent points. I think we sometimes forget these kids go to school for seven hours a day too.

True this.

Carroll County pinned itself into a corner with consolidation, not terribly unlike what Lee County did to itself back in the '80s. Carroll doubly hurt itself by joining the Southwest District as opposed to the Blue Ridge. I can only imagine someone from Carroll making the drive to Grundy for a Wednesday night basketball game.

Moral of the story: if your county is somewhat by itself, don't consolidate into a school that's 2X larger than anyone around you.

You're just as dead if you tumble down a 650-foot embankment as you are if you tumble down one that's 1600 feet.

Without some study that takes into account road width, guardrail placement, etc...it's a matter of opinion.

I am a Civil Engineer by trade with several ongoing and previous projects in the areas in question. So it's not a "matter of opinion".

And I, for one, am not fond of using "difference of opinion" to justify a move that pretty much ensures unbalanced competition.

I am not the one using "differences of opinion" to justify anything, that was RichlandsAlum.

Because the cumulative total travel time is more than doubled. You are replacing 1 or 2 trips of that length per sport, per year with several.

Example, you are replacing 1 - 80 mile trip to Abingdon and 1 - 80 mile trip to Richlands with similar trips to Salem, Hidden Valley, Cave Spring and Franklin County.

The cumulative total of those schedules would more than double travel time and distances. Quit thinking solely in terms of football and consider ALL sports.

Still there's only 2 out of those 4 schools that you'd have to play in football.... and 4 road trips per sport in other sports of about an hour and a half.... still doesn't seem too bad to me. Maybe it's because I'm used to driving an hour to work every day...just doesn't seem like a huge distance to me. You could get on 81 and go to the Roanoke Schools, Pulaski is just a short drive up 100... CBURG and BBURG are just 20 minutes from Pulaski. Franklin County is the only school that's a bigger stretch. Heck, you guys drove to Grundy for a number of years, that's farther from Carroll than Franklin Co.

It doesn't matter to me what Carroll County does, in fact...I would welcome them to the MED. But would you truly be an MED school, if you only played half of the district? How would the District championships be determined, that doesn't seem fair to me if Carroll only plays certain teams....

Edited by futbolking

Moral of the story: if your county is somewhat by itself, don't consolidate into a school that's 2X larger than anyone around you.

I agree wholeheartedly but, as I mentioned before, Carroll consolidated in the late 1960's, well before anyone else in this region. These types of issues were not relevant back then.

Since I mentioned it, the politics of Carroll's inclusion in the SWD was pretty interesting.

With the formal demise of the New River District in the early 1990's, Blacksburg, Christiansburg, and Carroll were all courted by the SWD. Graham already had some pretty decent scheduling arrangements with the two 'Burgs and Richlands was having a hard time finding opponents and was happy to find guaranteed matchups (particularly in football) wherever they could find them.

Conventional thinking at the time was that the three NRD schools were a package deal. Ironically enough, Blacksburg and Christiansburg were the SWD expansion targets coveted by Graham and Richlands in particular (over Grundy's objection), while Carroll was the school that the SWD was willing to take in order to get the other two.

Still there's only 2 out of those 4 schools that you'd have to play in football.... and 4 road trips per sport in other sports of about an hour and a half.... still doesn't seem too bad to me. Maybe it's because I'm used to driving an hour to work every day...just doesn't seem like a huge distance to me. You could get on 81 and go to the Roanoke Schools, Pulaski is just a short drive up 100... CBURG and BBURG are just 20 minutes from Pulaski. Franklin County is the only school that's a bigger stretch. Heck, you guys drove to Grundy for a number of years, didn't hear any complaints about that.

I am giving you the respect of reading your posts before commenting. Please show me the same respect.

There is no "you guys". I have no association with the school or the county. I just don't see it as a big deal to let them into the MED since most MED schools already play Carroll. Carroll is only hurting itself by limiting competition. The MED has proven over the past few years, it will step up and play anyone, with success.