Carroll County and redistricting

trigger

If that is the case, then do not play Franklin County!

Carroll would HAVE to play 6A Franklin County and PH, being within three classifications (4A-6A). Half the River Ridge – 3A Cave Spring, Hidden Valley, Cburg and Bburg, would not. The VHSL has a couple of districts set up in the 6A format where some schools would be exempt from playing at least half the schools in the district because of size. I imagine its that way because of travel. So it's no different than CC being in the MED.

Narrows, Bland, Galax and Fort Chiswell would not have to play Carroll. Graham and Grayson would. CC plays Grayson and Galax in everything anyway, and I suspect Fort would want to, too.

As far as nondistrict games being no different than being in the RR, travel-wise, Graham would be the longest trip for CC in the MED at 1 hr 15 min (by car). There would be plenty of schools within that radius, like Pulaski, the Burgs, Floyd, Wythe, Marion, Chilhowie, Patrick, maybe a couple others. There's no way you can say travel could not be reduced.

The Piedmont was mentioned earlier in this thread. The 'new' Piedmont will include Danville and South Boston. On a bus. Down Lover's leap. Average trip 80+ miles, 1:35 by car.

Yall gotta remember that Carroll is 4A in number only. Yeah, there are 1200 kids. But more than 90 percent of them go home at 3pm. The story said 114 kids, male and female, grades 9-12, are playing fall sports. I read on here that Richlands had 70 out just for football. You have to be from here to see what I'm talking about.

Nobody doubts Carroll would get its a$$ handed to it every night in the River Ridge. But nobody's saying they'd do the same to the MED if they were in it.

Edited by ISOaPBR

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got the solution for Carroll County.... Them and Pulaski County could form their own 2 team district.... the "PUD" district...

To have close to 3000 posts you don't really seem to have any idea what the hell's going on.

Piedmont a good fit, you say. You wouldn't have a problem driving to Danville or South Boston for a district game?

You say there's no justification for Carroll playing a school with 300 students. They wouldn't be, because of the 1A-4A spread.

You talk about only having to take 2-3 trips to Roanoke. Lotsa sports out there besides football.

"How would the District championships be determined, that doesn't seem fair to me if Carroll only plays certain teams"

Ask Franklin Co and PH. Half the RRD wouldn't have to play them.

PUD District?

Every post is either smarta$$ or dumba$$

To have close to 3000 posts you don't really seem to have any idea what the hell's going on.

Piedmont a good fit, you say. You wouldn't have a problem driving to Danville or South Boston for a district game?

You say there's no justification for Carroll playing a school with 300 students. They wouldn't be, because of the 1A-4A spread.

You talk about only having to take 2-3 trips to Roanoke. Lotsa sports out there besides football.

"How would the District championships be determined, that doesn't seem fair to me if Carroll only plays certain teams"

PUD District?

Couldn't agree more!

PUD District?

Don't use the dollar signs, sweetheart. Be a big man. Use the Ss.

If you're going to argue to move to a district where the schools are half to quarter your size, you should at least be forceful about it. Go all out.

Don't use the dollar signs, sweetheart. Be a big man. Use the Ss.

If you're going to argue to move to a district where the schools are half to quarter your size, you should at least be forceful about it. Go all out.

No problem, smartass.

And be a man. Don't call me sweetheart.

PUD District?

I think the last one "Pud District" would be classified as "smarta$$", wouldn't you?

Edited by futbolking

No problem, smartass.

And be a man. Don't call me sweetheart.

How would you classify this post? smarta$$ or dumba$$?

Welcome to SouthWest Virginia....where teams have to travel distances to play other teams...have heard the fiddles coming out of Hillsville for years. Maybe we could make that a 3 team district...Carroll, Pulaski....and Abingdon...

Smarta$$ enough for ya?....maybe it was Dumba$$.

Surely some of you out there see the humor in this....or is everybody as high strung as this dude?

3 day weekend is coming up....take some time off and relax

I believe you'll either be in the River Ridge or Piedmont next year, might as well get used to it, whether you think it's fair or not.

Those 3000 posts have occurred over about an 8 year period, by the way. and yes, sometimes I don't know my butt from a hole in the ground about stuff.....my opinion may be right or wrong....but the moderators of this board have allowed me to express it...and I appreciate that...but can we try to keep it civil and lighthearted?? I thought "PUD" district was pretty funny....people take jabs at each other on here all the time....ask the Richlands "Recruiters" or the Tazewell "Meddlers" or the Abingdon "whiners"..about it....

Edited by futbolking

Welcome to SouthWest Virginia....where teams have to travel distances to play other teams...have heard the fiddles coming out of Hillsville for years. Maybe we could make that a 3 team district...Carroll, Pulaski....and Abingdon...

Surely some of you out there see the humor in this....or is everybody as high strung as this dude?

I believe you'll either be in the River Ridge or Piedmont next year, might as well get used to it, whether you think it's fair or not.

Those 3000 posts have occurred over about an 8 year period, by the way. and yes, sometimes I don't know my butt from a hole in the ground about stuff.....my opinion may be right or wrong....but the moderators of this board have allowed me to express it...and I appreciate that...but can we try to keep it civil and lighthearted?? I thought "PUD" district was pretty funny....people take jabs at each other on here all the time....ask the Richlands "Recruiters" or the Tazewell "Meddlers" or the Abingdon "whiners"..about it....

agree totally with this.i have caught flack on here over things like i do not use capital letters or post to long among not knowing my teams schedule lol. jut take most with a grain of salt and continue posting till the day that the moderators decide to ban me for poor spelling or typing.

agree totally with this.i have caught flack on here over things like i do not use capital letters or post to long among not knowing my teams schedule lol. jut take most with a grain of salt and continue posting till the day that the moderators decide to ban me for poor spelling or typing.

They haven't banned me for being a dumba$$ or a smarta$$ yet, so I'm happy...

Guest king kone

OK GWomen fan.....

Just my 2 cents, i am from Gate City from the old SWD and we travelled to Grundy, Marion, Tazewell, Richlands, Graham for all sports back in the day. For every sport and competition. I realize you could actually make arguements about the financial part of this, yet most are making more about what size school folks play. This is the same old arguement that Lee high has and they have petitioned the VHSL to play down. Best i can tell they haven't dominated many sports in their time in A. Gate City "played" up for several years before dropping to A. The biggest reason was the structure of Region IV at the time and all of the travel concerns involved. It would be silly of me to say athletically it has made no difference, not in football (3 titles in AA/ 2 in A), but all the other sports. Women's programs have especially thrived at the A level. GC went from playing Salem in the AA state title game in basketball to playing teams with 200 less students, so i can definately see both sides.

I was shocked to see a thread about CCHS garnering 9 pages and over 80 responses. Especially when most who responded prefaced their comments by stating they could care less or didn't have a dog in the fight! I think that speaks to the entire issue of the latest VHSL attempt to redistrict and reshuffle more than simply which district CCHS finds as its most recent resting place? The topic has certainly brought out some valid points of travel and issues which directly affect academics. I guess a summary would include the following:

>CCHS deserves its destination independent of future district affiliation because it consolidated 40+ years ago.

>It fits the Piedmont District

>It fits the River Ridge

>The MED fits in location and competitiveness, but not in enrollment (which speaks more to Carroll's lack of solid programs in most every sport than any other factor discussed to date on this thread)

>It dodges playing anybody in anything

>That one can insert their profession to substantiate an opinion on the topography of SWVA and how it correlates to travel when Ray Charles could see its a valid issue

>If you disagree with another board member's opinion you may get some smartass or smarta$$ childish reactions

>No matter your opinion on the topic, some fellow board member has a counterpoint just a "send" function away which is more visceral and emotional than practical

I find it interesting that this spirited debate didn't touch on the fact that NOBODY wants Franklin County in their district and NOBODY wants to play them-period. It all got placed at the feet of Pulaski and Carroll Counties which is oversimplification at its finest. I find it equally interesting that nobody considered the financial consequences at the ticket booths as part of their position on the issue? CCHS just had a home game with Galax, albeit a "Benefit Game" and the gate was outstanding for both schools. Little Single A Galax beat the mighty Cavs 49-27. Talk about taking a ball to the face in dodge ball! The following week, CCHS took on Piedmont member Bassett and the gate was WAY down. BTW, Bassett handed it to CCHS 40-12. So, it seems the Athletic Department has been faced with two choices: Water down the competition so you can draw local interest to more competitive games or improve attendance with the product on the field or court independent of the competition. Hmmmm. I think we all know they went with door #1.

Now, I am not from Carroll County; I am not a historian on the VHSL, the SW District, or the old New River District; I am not a lawyer; I am not an engineer; I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, BUT I'll throw a little caution to the wind by stating that: I have lived in Hillsville for 25 years, raised two children who graduated from CCHS (my son participated in 3 sports until a knee injury his senior year ended his high school playing days), have a wife who graduated from CCHS, and have countless friends and family members associated with the school. Carroll County has major highways dissecting it (Rt 52, RT 58, and I-77), but finds itself isolated from many foes on various schedules. The same does indeed hold true for most every other school in the area. Most any school finding Carroll in its District would not be pleased with the travel, but would find an even trade with the very good possibility of a road W. I think the bottom line in this entire mess is FINANCIAL and it's not tied as much to travel as the school tries to opine. Until CCHS builds strong better sport's programs they will be at a "competitive disadvantage" with most every school this side of Bland. That initiative has to come from grassroots efforts in each sport and must start before kids get to the high school level. The school and the community must work collaboratively to make these improvements. Until they do, I don't see much changing independent of which district they make their crash landing. A few are better than others, but none are optimal for different reasons.

The VHSL has spoken and I don't think we need a prophet to figure out that they are most likely not going to grant CCHS a reprieve with their appeal. This would force the school to at minimum explore door #2. That's a long overdue choice!

I was shocked to see a thread about CCHS garnering 9 pages and over 80 responses. Especially when most who responded prefaced their comments by stating they could care less or didn't have a dog in the fight! I think that speaks to the entire issue of the latest VHSL attempt to redistrict and reshuffle more than simply which district CCHS finds as its most recent resting place? The topic has certainly brought out some valid points of travel and issues which directly affect academics. I guess a summary would include the following:

>CCHS deserves its destination independent of future district affiliation because it consolidated 40+ years ago.

>It fits the Piedmont District

>It fits the River Ridge

>The MED fits in location and competitiveness, but not in enrollment (which speaks more to Carroll's lack of solid programs in most every sport than any other factor discussed to date on this thread)

>It dodges playing anybody in anything

>That one can insert their profession to substantiate an opinion on the topography of SWVA and how it correlates to travel when Ray Charles could see its a valid issue

>If you disagree with another board member's opinion you may get some smartass or smarta$$ childish reactions

>No matter your opinion on the topic, some fellow board member has a counterpoint just a "send" function away which is more visceral and emotional than practical

I find it interesting that this spirited debate didn't touch on the fact that NOBODY wants Franklin County in their district and NOBODY wants to play them-period. It all got placed at the feet of Pulaski and Carroll Counties which is oversimplification at its finest. I find it equally interesting that nobody considered the financial consequences at the ticket booths as part of their position on the issue? CCHS just had a home game with Galax, albeit a "Benefit Game" and the gate was outstanding for both schools. Little Single A Galax beat the mighty Cavs 49-27. Talk about taking a ball to the face in dodge ball! The following week, CCHS took on Piedmont member Bassett and the gate was WAY down. BTW, Bassett handed it to CCHS 40-12. So, it seems the Athletic Department has been faced with two choices: Water down the competition so you can draw local interest to more competitive games or improve attendance with the product on the field or court independent of the competition. Hmmmm. I think we all know they went with door #1.

Now, I am not from Carroll County; I am not a historian on the VHSL, the SW District, or the old New River District; I am not a lawyer; I am not an engineer; I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, BUT I'll throw a little caution to the wind by stating that: I have lived in Hillsville for 25 years, raised two children who graduated from CCHS (my son participated in 3 sports until a knee injury his senior year ended his high school playing days), have a wife who graduated from CCHS, and have countless friends and family members associated with the school. Carroll County has major highways dissecting it (Rt 52, RT 58, and I-77), but finds itself isolated from many foes on various schedules. The same does indeed hold true for most every other school in the area. Most any school finding Carroll in its District would not be pleased with the travel, but would find an even trade with the very good possibility of a road W. I think the bottom line in this entire mess is FINANCIAL and it's not tied as much to travel as the school tries to opine. Until CCHS builds strong better sport's programs they will be at a "competitive disadvantage" with most every school this side of Bland. That initiative has to come from grassroots efforts in each sport and must start before kids get to the high school level. The school and the community must work collaboratively to make these improvements. Until they do, I don't see much changing independent of which district they make their crash landing. A few are better than others, but none are optimal for different reasons.

The VHSL has spoken and I don't think we need a prophet to figure out that they are most likely not going to grant CCHS a reprieve with their appeal. This would force the school to at minimum explore door #2. That's a long overdue choice!

To ask such a feet from Carroll County given it's recent political climate is asking for a lot. They have more turnover in county and town administration than I would have thought humanly possible. Managers and police chiefs being fired, administrators filing lawsuits and getting restraining orders against one another. The school system is heavily over budget along with major renovations to almost every school in the county. The list goes on and on.

But nice speech!

@sixcat: Yep, it is a MESS for sure and you didn't even mention that we have a brand new School Superintendant! I was the Director of Social Services (that should devalue any past or future posts of mine for sure) for a short time until the "politics" within the community gobbled another victim. I resigned before the ax fell, but I heard it being sharpened. Best thing that ever happened to me as it turns out, but I digress! Despite its warts, it has been very good to my family.

Galax is the PERFECT example of what can happen when a coach who knows the game and can communicate and teach it to kids comes to a school. Galax's enrollment and schedule didn't change much over the years, but when a program builder arrived, the school arrived! There has been a sport's and community revival in Galax and the genesis coincides with the arrival of Mr. Mark Dixon. Is it all him? No, but his influence and attitude have positively effected the entire area.

The football program has been dying a slow death for years and the numbers out for it this year are pathetic under any circumstances. All the enrollment and talent in the world can't win you a single game or put a single fan in the bleachers. This thread was only made possible by the fact that Carroll has extremely weak programs in most every sport. Otherwise, their district affiliation would be a moot point. It's going to take more than a few changes or increases with coaching stipends to cure what ails them. The jury is out, but some folks are in place to effectuate positive change. The VHSL has ZERO to do with any of that.

@sixcat: Yep, it is a MESS for sure and you didn't even mention that we have a brand new School Superintendant! I was the Director of Social Services (that should devalue any past or future posts of mine for sure) for a short time until the "politics" within the community gobbled another victim. I resigned before the ax fell, but I heard it being sharpened. Best thing that ever happened to me as it turns out, but I digress! Despite its warts, it has been very good to my family.

Galax is the PERFECT example of what can happen when a coach who knows the game and can communicate and teach it to kids comes to a school. Galax's enrollment and schedule didn't change much over the years, but when a program builder arrived, the school arrived! There has been a sport's and community revival in Galax and the genesis coincides with the arrival of Mr. Mark Dixon. Is it all him? No, but his influence and attitude have positively effected the entire area.

The football program has been dying a slow death for years and the numbers out for it this year are pathetic under any circumstances. All the enrollment and talent in the world can't win you a single game or put a single fan in the bleachers. This thread was only made possible by the fact that Carroll has extremely weak programs in most every sport. Otherwise, their district affiliation would be a moot point. It's going to take more than a few changes or increases with coaching stipends to cure what ails them. The jury is out, but some folks are in place to effectuate positive change. The VHSL has ZERO to do with any of that.

Nice post and very accurate.

I will add, Galax's athletic program success as a whole can be directly attributed to Mr. Yerrick Stoneman (AD), Mr. Bill Sturgill (Superintendent) and Mr. Ray Kohl (Chairman of the school board). They have pushed all the right buttons in terms of hiring coaches and teachers that the community can be proud of and support. They have committed to building an extremely strong sense of community around the entire school and the community has gone all in.

I find it interesting that this spirited debate didn't touch on the fact that NOBODY wants Franklin County in their district and NOBODY wants to play them-period.

Probably because that isn't true. Franklin County was originally assigned to the Seminole District, but they were removed at their request mainly because of -- wait for it -- travel considerations. To the best of my knowledge, nobody from the Seminole objected to their inclusion.

Maybe Franklin in the Seminole is the answer to a lot of the questions after all.

Probably because that isn't true. Franklin County was originally assigned to the Seminole District, but they were removed at their request mainly because of -- wait for it -- travel considerations. To the best of my knowledge, nobody from the Seminole objected to their inclusion.

Maybe Franklin in the Seminole is the answer to a lot of the questions after all.

Franklin County is one of the most politically charged counties you will find. The influx of people with money from up north who have bought all the property along Smith Mountain Lake have pushed for their own school system for years. The county has never taken the bait but the Williard Companies along with a few others have basically taken matters into their own hands by starting to build their own community, complete with their own WalMart, Kroger, several banks and restaurants, etc., all independent of Rocky Mount. I believe the process to an independent city along SML has begun. The current town is called Westlake Corners. It has all been built within the past 8-10 years.

Edited by sixcat

Of all the possibilities currently in play, not withstanding any prior inclusion or removal from the Seminole, my comment is absolutely true!

I believe the comment to be accurate as well. The same can be said for William Fleming, maybe that is why Franklin County and William Fleming have played each other in football twice per season for the past several seasons.

One point I wished to make (which obviously wasn't clear) is that the Seminole schools are not actively avoiding Franklin County. The emphasis on the pronoun NOBODY [sic] struck me as all-inclusive and would consequently be incorrect as applied to the membership of the Seminole District.