Richland Fans Complacent

hamil76

I had not attended a Blues game for about 4 years. Went to Gate City and The Union game they have great fans but have lost the fire I remember. When the Coach has to pump the fans on a Goal line stand or 3rd and 2 in a close game and it only last one play. You have to see it. So are they at a point they are to used to winning? Complacent..

The thing about it is that alot Richlands fans pack the place week after week not for the game but to chat with one another and are very offended if you even think about getting loud and cheering around them. The guys that cheer and get loud for there guys are outweighed by the wine and cheese crowd yes folks we have a huge section of these people at Richlands games not just abingdon. Not trying to hurt anyones feelings just telling the facts.

The thing about it is that alot Richlands fans pack the place week after week not for the game but to chat with one another and are very offended if you even think about getting loud and cheering around them. The guys that cheer and get loud for there guys are outweighed by the wine and cheese crowd yes folks we have a huge section of these people at Richlands games not just abingdon. Not trying to hurt anyones feelings just telling the facts.

Well, I was sitting in the front row of the Richlands-Union game, and it was very exciting, especially in the 4th quarter, but we shouldn't have allowed that to happen, and the fans, IMO, were alive and screaming every other play, especially the 3rd and 4th downs, but when we scored from the one yard line, almost nobody cheered or screamed, just clapped, like it was a given. We need more games like this, for the excitement, and of course, for us to pull it out. I'm sure next week it will be rocking at Mitchell Stadium.

Well, I was sitting in the front row of the Richlands-Union game, and it was very exciting, especially in the 4th quarter, but we shouldn't have allowed that to happen, and the fans, IMO, were alive and screaming every other play, especially the 3rd and 4th downs, but when we scored from the one yard line, almost nobody cheered or screamed, just clapped, like it was a given. We need more games like this, for the excitement, and of course, for us to pull it out. I'm sure next week it will be rocking at Mitchell Stadium.

Away games are different the actual fans show up for the away games of course it will be rocking.

I know this is Richlands oriented but I have seen this in the Graham games too. When I was at the Tazewell game I did happen to notice a lot of the people in the stands, more so women than men, would just sit there and chat. I even noticed one couple where the woman was chatting with some other women and her husband started yelling at the refs over a bad call and she hit him and told him to settle down that they couldn't hear him and that he was acting like a redneck. I could be wrong but I think yelling at a ref for a bad call is not acting like a redneck or something but trying to support his team over something he felt was a bad call. But yeah its not just Richlands, it's all over, people these days don't go to the games for the game, but for the conversations and social interaction. But there is a lot to the game these days that has changed... But that is the nature of the beast. For Richlands, everyone goes and doesn't care about watching cause they figure it's a given that their going to win. For Graham in the last few years at least its been they expected us to lose. A close game is usually what makes people pay attention.

It seems there are a lot of the Blues fans that do come to socialize and do not pay a lot of attention to whats going on on the field. A couple of times when I got loud, a couple of fans in front of me turned and looked at me like I had just committed a crime or something. Of course that just made me want to get louder.

We still have some great fans, and the ones that go on away games are usually great. But I think some are getting spoiled and just come to be seen.

Not all, but it's not like it use to be.

I know this is Richlands oriented but I have seen this in the Graham games too. When I was at the Tazewell game I did happen to notice a lot of the people in the stands, more so women than men, would just sit there and chat. I even noticed one couple where the woman was chatting with some other women and her husband started yelling at the refs over a bad call and she hit him and told him to settle down that they couldn't hear him and that he was acting like a redneck. I could be wrong but I think yelling at a ref for a bad call is not acting like a redneck or something but trying to support his team over something he felt was a bad call. But yeah its not just Richlands, it's all over, people these days don't go to the games for the game, but for the conversations and social interaction. But there is a lot to the game these days that has changed... But that is the nature of the beast. For Richlands, everyone goes and doesn't care about watching cause they figure it's a given that their going to win. For Graham in the last few years at least its been they expected us to lose. A close game is usually what makes people pay attention.

I agree. There are alot of people at the games anymore especially the early season games that need to be at the mall or at home talking on the phone or something. These are mostly teenage girls and young women that constantly move around, chat, and socialize during the whole game and could care less about the game itself. This is why I like going to the mid to late season and playoff games the best. Colder weather which brings out mostly people there to actually watch the games and cheer for the teams.

It's about how close the game is. Didn't get to go to first half of Union ,listened on radio,

made it there for the 3rd and 4th, parked on Jones Chapel road so could listen to radio.

The crowd was definitely getting into the defensive stops. The more critical it got the more them fans were a roaring. Was almost directly across from home side, things were roaring pretty good.

Guest king kone
It seems there are a lot of the Blues fans that do come to socialize and do not pay a lot of attention to whats going on on the field. A couple of times when I got loud, a couple of fans in front of me turned and looked at me like I had just committed a crime or something. Of course that just made me want to get louder.

We still have some great fans, and the ones that go on away games are usually great. But I think some are getting spoiled and just come to be seen.

Not all, but it's not like it use to be.

I think you are right. You have more people profiling there than on a New York fashion runway. Trying to move around at Ernie Hicks has gotten tough because of all these profiling wannabes clogging things up especially the younger ones. They ain't there for the game. They are there to be seen. Doesn't seem to be as bad at away games.

It might just take a good old fashioned game with Graham to get the Richlands fans rolling. Richlands has a great following and great fans, can't wait until the game friday night. I hope the Graham fans show up in full force as well....should be a great atmosphere.

I think both fan bases will show up for this one and make a lot of noise ! Going to be a great atmosphere as futbolking stated !

Would be nice if it rivaled the numbers for the graham beaver game.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there will be anywhere between 6,000 and 8,000 there.... Richlands travels well, especially in big games... Graham fans in years past used to pack the stands... The past few years have been disappointing with only band parents showing up and parents of the players, basically... However, last year seemed to be a turning point with larger crowds... I heard there was a good crowd at Tazewell last week. A lot of people around town in Bluefield, VA have been talking about going to the game this friday..... I think we could see both sides 2/3 or 3/4 full... It's not that long of a trip, after all.

If Graham continues to improve....and Richlands stays consistently where they are...I think we could see some large crowds for this game in the not too distant future.

Also, if Graham schedules Giles in the future (as rumored)...those will be some big crowds, as well....Giles travels very well, reminds me of Richlands.

However, last year seemed to be a turning point with larger crowds... I heard there was a good crowd at Tazewell last week.

Granted, Tazewell's visitor bleachers are horrible, but Graham had so many fans that I know for a fact that some Graham fans, including two players' parents actually had to sit on the Tazewell side. Great turnout for both Tazewell and Graham!

I know what you are saying.... It is frustrating to see half of the "fans" at a game there to socialize. It's a football game people... MAKE SOME NOISE! I totally hear what you are saying :)

I had not attended a Blues game for about 4 years. Went to Gate City and The Union game they have great fans but have lost the fire I remember. When the Coach has to pump the fans on a Goal line stand or 3rd and 2 in a close game and it only last one play. You have to see it. So are they at a point they are to used to winning? Complacent..

I think you hit the nail on the head about winning. Everyone has got so used to winning they have forgot what its like to be in a close game or how to lose. Its almost like fans are just thinking, oh they will win no problem. You can't win every game every year, its just not going to happen.

Blues fans are 10 times different when it comes playoff time than they are in regular season. They have molded into that cause regular season games for quite a few years have just seemed like tune up games and the real season begins with the playoffs.

I have always thought Richlands was a very tough place to play. Every time I have been to a game down there, their fans are always loud and are always into the game. I'm glad to see Graham fans filling the stands again. People don't realize how these players feed off of the crowds. How can you get pumped up and run on to the field and see no one in the stands? That being said, I think the atmosphere at Mitchell Friday night is going to be awesome. Looking foward to a great game.

Granted, Tazewell's visitor bleachers are horrible, but Graham had so many fans that I know for a fact that some Graham fans, including two players' parents actually had to sit on the Tazewell side. Great turnout for both Tazewell and Graham!

I want to commend the fans from Tazewell on their school spirit. The student body never sat down and cheered loudly throughout. You would not know that this team had not won a football game in several seasons.

As a Graham fan, I was sitting on the visitors side and I was packed like a sardine. On thing that I did notice, and other fans noticed as well, is that the Graham cheerleaders need to be placed in front of the band and student section. Instead, they were lined up in front of the "older folks" (me included) and did not receive as much enthusiasm as they would have from the students!

Hopefully, the Virginia side folks will be out in full force this Friday in order to support the G-Men. I am just glad to see new enthusiasm from the Graham folks in general. Grahm football is back ... alive and well! Go G-Men!

I am very much looking forward to a good game this Friday. Looking for a competitive game.

I just hope the anesthesia from my arthroscopic shoulder surgery on Friday morning wears off in time for me to make it to the game!! :) My wife has already said she would drive me to the game!! :)

I am very much looking forward to a good game this Friday. Looking for a competitive game.

I just hope the anesthesia from my arthroscopic shoulder surgery on Friday morning wears off in time for me to make it to the game!! :) My wife has already said she would drive me to the game!! :)

That`s awesome mv, I`m glad you get to go!! Best of luck on the shoulder!!