The Reality of Heaven

Deleted Account

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/heaven-real-says-neurosurgeon-claims-visited-afterlife-213527063.html

Heaven's always intrigued me. As a Christian, I believe unequivocally in its existence.

I've read books on the topic. If you want a recommendation, "Life After Life" by Raymond Moody is a lifechanging read. But this is something wholly different. The main argument against the existence of an afterlife from those who have received a taste is that the brain's depleted oxygen levels cause a euphoric, psychadelic effect.

This article, and Alexander's book, up the ante exponentially. This is by a neurosurgeon, one most intimately familiar with the scientific workings behind the human brain. He speaks: "According to current medical understanding of the brain and mind, there is absolutely no way that I could have experienced even a dim and limited consciousness during my time in the coma, much less the hyper-vivid and completely coherent odyssey I underwent..."

As I said above, I was a firm believer before this. But when you see something like this, it must either refortify your beliefs or, if you don't believe, make you at least requestion your beliefs.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/heaven-real-says-neurosurgeon-claims-visited-afterlife-213527063.html

Heaven's always intrigued me. As a Christian, I believe unequivocally in its existence.

I've read books on the topic. If you want a recommendation, "Life After Life" by Raymond Moody is a lifechanging read. But this is something wholly different. The main argument against the existence of an afterlife from those who have received a taste is that the brain's depleted oxygen levels cause a euphoric, psychadelic effect.

This article, and Alexander's book, up the ante exponentially. This is by a neurosurgeon, one most intimately familiar with the scientific workings behind the human brain. He speaks: "According to current medical understanding of the brain and mind, there is absolutely no way that I could have experienced even a dim and limited consciousness during my time in the coma, much less the hyper-vivid and completely coherent odyssey I underwent..."

As I said above, I was a firm believer before this. But when you see something like this, it must either refortify your beliefs or, if you don't believe, make you at least requestion your beliefs.

Thanks UVA !

Thanks for posting. I saw the article on the UKTelegraph this morning and bookmarked it.

I'm a cancer survivor of over 20 years, but that is not my testimony of the proof of my Creator.

One day, I'll share my story of how.... in just a few seconds my life was spared...when the first thought that came to my mind was "this is how people die". Not only was my life miraculously spared...but, it was confirmed by an outside source.

I found this the other day from an astronaut that walked on the moon but referred to himself as "not religious" .

Two time Apollo astronaut Eugene Cernan is one of the few human beings to have viewed the earth from the moon.

Being interviewed in a documentary of the Apollo missions Cernan recalled, “I felt I was literally standing on a plateau out there in space, a plateau that science and technology had allowed me to get to. Now what I was seeing, even more importantly what I was feeling at that point in time, science and technology had no answers for. Literally no answers. Because there I was, and (looking up) there you are… there you are, the earth, dynamic, overwhelming, and I felt that there was just too much purpose, too much logic, it was just too beautiful to have happened by accident. There has to be someone bigger than you and bigger than me, and I mean this in a spiritual sense, I’m not religious, but there has to be a Creator of the universe who stands above the religions that we create to govern our lives.â€

I once was listening to a radio program and they had a very simple explanation for God....

If you add nothing to nothing you get nothing, so the fact that there is something proves that something had to create.

A very foggy version of what was said.

Great read.

My question is this though, and it doesn't really even have an answer:

The surgeon professed he was a Christian but "never really held deeply religious beliefs" or anything. To me, I gather that he wasn't a "practicing" Christian and was sort of weak in faith. How/why was he afforded the opportunity to see Heaven with such doubt?

Great read.

My question is this though, and it doesn't really even have an answer:

The surgeon professed he was a Christian but "never really held deeply religious beliefs" or anything. To me, I gather that he wasn't a "practicing" Christian and was sort of weak in faith. How/why was he afforded the opportunity to see Heaven with such doubt?

You're exactly right...we can never pin down an answer for that. I do reckon it similar to how Paul was used to write most of the New Testament, given his roots.

I have been reading the various threads with different or opposing views as to the validity of God's creation and word (which some embrace partially and others wholly). Let me preface my comments with this--Observor, BucFan and others have great intellect and are able to express themselves quite ably with their position on this topic. I am a person of average intelligence and verbalization, so bear with me as I share my thoughts and beliefs with you.

I have been a follower of Christ longer than some of you have been on earth--28 years this past February. It was such a day of awakening and renewal in my life, with my introduction to the Lordship and person of Christ, that I have never forgotten, nor has that day been diminished in my mind or memory.

That day in February, I became a follower, not just a believer in Christ--having heard his Holy Word ministered since I was a child. I was as many who attend church (yes, even on a regular basis) a "hearer of the word, and not a doer"-James 1:23. That natural man who looks into a mirror, sees himself and continues on the same pathway.

On that day, the Holy Spirit cleaned the mirror to a sparkle and I knew that what I saw, wasn't what God had planned for my life. Jeremiah 29:33 tells me those plans, succinctly and plainly--"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, said the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you and expected end (hope in my latter end.)

To sum it up for me, when I saw the reality of his plan for my life, I diligently began to read his word (which I firmly adhere and believe is the inspired word of God. Also, food for thought--if God so wonderfully and intricately created us in his image and set the planets, sun and moon in "perfect alignment" (which we as humans can't even keep our tires that way), doesn't it seem plausible that God would give us an exact roadmap when we encounter obstacles and detours to help us reach our destination of heaven?

Paul's writing in 1 Cor. 1:20-25 (NIV) is the "closing summation" to the searching heart--

20--"Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

21--For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.

22--Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom,

23--but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles,

24--but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

25--For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength."

Life has many choices---eternity two

I too can attest to an experience that is quite unexplainable concerning my spirituality. I believe that all mankind is religous, meaning that something drives them, something motivates them and that they are oft times walking to the beat of their own religion, whatever it may be. However, I will contend that not all of mankind is spiritual. Walking to the beat of a different drummer, a different source, a guiding light.........God! Those who are blessed to walk after this manner, I consider to be spiritual.

I have been involved in the ministry for over 12 years, I have often attempted to describe my experience, but I have found that words always come up short. I can only imagine the awe that the Astronaut must have experienced, seeing the miraculous work of God, but I must admit that I too have felt and experienced the awe inspiring effect of coming to the knowledge and understanding that there is something, God, that is greater than myself.

I truly believe that when one comes to this understanding, or is brought to this understanding by a higher power, that it is then that they begin to experience the world around them in a new light. I can only describe it as going from darkness to light!

As John Newton wrote, "I once was blind, but now I see!"

Thanks for sharing this story,