More Realignment fun...

RichlandsAlum

http://www2.newsadvance.com/sports/2012/oct/18/vhsl-realignment-brings-big-changes-lynchburg-area-ar-2291543/

According to the last part of the article above, the Seminole is giving serious consideration to continuing district tournaments beyond realignment. It will be interesting to see if/how that actually pans out.

Why would you want to play a conference tourney that doesnt mean anything other than "bragging rights"? Taking a big chance of getting your players injured just for bragging rights!!

Don't get me wrong, I understand with high school sports, bragging rights mean something but it is a big risk they would be taking by playing meaningless games.

Why would you want to play a conference tourney that doesnt mean anything other than "bragging rights"? Taking a big chance of getting your players injured just for bragging rights!!

Don't get me wrong, I understand with high school sports, bragging rights mean something but it is a big risk they would be taking by playing meaningless games.

$$$.

The Seminole membership thinks it can generate some revenue by holding the tournaments. And they may be right....to a point. That's what makes this particular case interesting for other parts of the Commonwealth.

$$$.

The Seminole membership thinks it can generate some revenue by holding the tournaments. And they may be right....to a point. That's what makes this particular case interesting for other parts of the Commonwealth.

They should just make the districts an automatic bid and fill one of the 16 slots (or whatever) with the district winners, i would imagine that most of the time the district winners will be in anyway, as you can have a .500 record now and not even be a bottom seed. That way you at least validate the district games and champion. They seem to have it aligned now so that there are not any more 3 or 4 team districts so whats the harm in doing so? would make a lot more sense to me if they did it this way.

They should just make the districts an automatic bid and fill one of the 16 slots (or whatever) with the district winners, i would imagine that most of the time the district winners will be in anyway, as you can have a .500 record now and not even be a bottom seed. That way you at least validate the district games and champion. They seem to have it aligned now so that there are not any more 3 or 4 team districts so whats the harm in doing so? would make a lot more sense to me if they did it this way.

If it makes sense, the VHSL won't do it. The Golden Rule.

The Conference Tournnament took the place of the district tournament to ensure that all schools were playing like size schools. Example if Narrows plays MED tourny they play Grayson the enrollment 250 to Graysons 625+ where as now they will play in conference 45 tourney with the largest school Radford 460. So basically the thing that don't make sense with the VHSL is why did we keep districts. Why did we not make the new conferences the new districts???

Travel. You don't have to play your conference teams. They kept the districts for scheduling only. Now that district games don't really matter, the scheduling of other teams will become more flexible also. It will be hard to get used too for awhile, but it will be better come playoff time in most sports.

A lot of the districts are just too small to provide effective scheduling help. A four or five team district just doesn't fill up or solve many scheduling holes. Districts are pretty meaningless in the overall scheme of things- it would be better if all districts were just voluntary associations.

A lot of the districts are just too small to provide effective scheduling help. A four or five team district just doesn't fill up or solve many scheduling holes. Districts are pretty meaningless in the overall scheme of things- it would be better if all districts were just voluntary associations.

It will fill at least 4-5 games on the schedule. Just think if those games weren't set? Ask Bluefield how it goes.

"Districts = geography and tradition

conference = enrollment "

With the demise of the LPD and SWD and the marked alteration of the other surviving districts the VHSL threw tradition to the winds. Geography is a more limited factor in the composition of the new districts than may first appear.

"It will fill at least 4-5 games on the schedule. Just think if those games weren't set? Ask Bluefield how it goes."

A great many of the district games in the smaller districts would occur anyway. Most schools can put together a four to six game schedule without trouble- its the remaining four to six that create a problem.

I wouldnt be suprised to see those names survive. Even "these teams traditionally play each other" is a strong force, even if the district itself dies.

Haysi and Grundy can attest to the difficulty alot of schools have finding teams to play.

on the schedule thing...unless the VHSL passes some sort of rule saying the district teams MUST play each other, they don't have to...and honestly don't have any reason to under this current model. Don't think it will happen? Wait and see.

I'm not 100% sure on football, but I know basketball, baseball, etc. will have to play each district team at least once. I would assume football will too.

football is strictly power points, they dont have to play...unless something has changed that I don't know about.

From what I have been told the rule regarding size- larger schools not having to play smaller ones- is still in effect. This makes the Piedmont situation with Franklin County absurd.

Small districts are close to useless in providing scheduling help for many schools. No district should have less than six schools.

There will be inevitable problems in trying to mesh district and conference tournaments and regular season play in non-football sports. Our local school of myth and legend is a good example. Abingdon might play a basketball schedule composed of only Class 1 and 2 schools. This will leave them at a seeding disadvantage in a Class 3 tournament.

"Haysi and Grundy can attest to the difficulty alot of schools have finding teams to play."

Good point, If Grundy played a conference schedule and scheduled Hurley, Twin Valley, Haysi, and Honaker as non-district games they would be right at 9 football games- providing the aforementioned schools would still schedule them. Haysi might not be so well off, but if you add Clintwood, Castlewood, Eastside, and Grundy plus the Conference 47 schedule they are at nine. Most of those schools- if not all- would probably keep Haysi on their schedule.

football is strictly power points, they dont have to play...unless something has changed that I don't know about.

You are correct in that FOOTBALL pairings, in all divisions, will be decided upon the power points. Thus having #1 versus #16, #2 versus #15 and so on. All divisions are being formatted identically to the current D1 and D2 playoff system. Again, this is for FOOTBALL only! Other sports will go to conference pairings after the regular season.

Edited by starcityfootballfan

You are correct in that FOOTBALL pairings, in all divisions, will be decided upon the power points. Thus having #1 versus #16, #2 versus #15 and so on. All divisions are being formatted identically to the current D1 and D2 playoff system.

I knew it was that way in D1 and D2...wasn't sure about the rest...guess that starts next year with the new 2 year contracts.