John Battle @ Fort Chiswell

starcityfootballfan

I know JB had 4 turnovers in the first half against Honaker. Honaker rushed for 197 yards in second half. Fort runs the ball pretty well. What Off. formations does JB run? Excited to see this game. Good to see teams that you don't usually get to see.

Battle runs the Wing T and will sometimes spread it out.

Battle fans got there pretty early. Filled up the visitors side and some went to sit on the home side. Someone mentioned before that Fort brought in 6 sets of bleachers, but 4 of those were for the band and they were all pretty tiny. Good thing Fort has lots of space for people to sit on the banks.

Qtr 1 Qtr 2 Qtr 3 Qtr 4 Total

0 7 0 7 14 Fort Chiswell

0 0 7 8 15 John Battle

Scoring Summary

FC -- Vaughn 7 run (Gregory kick)

JB -- Harlow 1 run (Jones kick)

FC -- Vaughn 16 run (Gregory kick)

JB -- Harlow 2 run (Luchini pass from Jones)

John Battle Fort Chiswell

First Downs 11 - 17

Yards Rush 123 - 188

Passes C-A-I 7-18-1 - 13-26-2

Yds Passing 82 - 119

Penalties 2-10 - 2-15

Punts 5-38.6 - 5-31

Rushing: John Battle -- Harlow 14-79, Lilley 4-19, Rogers 7-18, Tipton 4-11, Matney 1-(-1), Team 1-(-3). Fort Chiswell -- Hamm 18-101, Vaughan 13-75, Mabry 2-8, Perry 2-4

Passing: John Battle -- Honaker 4-9-1-47, Tipton 3-9-0-35. Fort Chiswell -- Mabry 13-26-2-119.

Recieving: John Battle -- Matney 5-64, Rogers 1-9, Harlow 1-9. Fort Chiswell -- Hamm 5-57, Mooney 4-32, Rathbone 3-29, Vaughan 1-10.

Good game-JB kept Fort pinned deep in the 4th qtr when they needed to. Some were saying why didn't try a FG.Fort's kicker Akers had made 2-43yarders this year. He slightly tore groin 2 weeks ago so when they were at the 27 late not a chance in that wind. I think early in game when Fort was at the 8yd they were pretty agressive-INT(good interception by # 1)- I don't think they would have tried a FG even from 25yds and the wind wasn't blowing at that time.

Good game-JB kept Fort pinned deep in the 4th qtr when they needed to. Some were saying why didn't try a FG.Fort's kicker Akers had made 2-43yarders this year. He slightly tore groin 2 weeks ago so when they were at the 27 late not a chance in that wind. I think early in game when Fort was at the 8yd they were pretty agressive-INT(good interception by # 1)- I don't think they would have tried a FG even from 25yds and the wind wasn't blowing at that time.

I don't get why Fort kept throwing the ball at odd times (like Rodgers's INT that you mentioned). Battle had a really hard time stopping the run all night and if they'd have just kept running instead of trying to pass (I think it was a screen pass too) then they'd have scored. There were a few moments like that. It almost seemed like Fort's coach was getting a little too impatient and just wanted to try to throw Battle off and score quick, but it came back to bite him.