West dominance

redtiger

Not only has D1 West dominated D1 the past two years on the field but the West has dominated crowd size the past two years between the D1/D2 games. Both D2 games were, more or less East schools and as we know D1 was all West.

Last year it was no contest, D1 stands were full, D2 around half full. Apparently(according to the announcers) its the same this season.

Good job SWVA!

Lets try to keep it up on and off the field!

Edited by redtiger

Remember that "it takes a heck of a lot longer to get to Salem from eastern VA than western VA" discussion we had earlier this week. Maybe...just maybe...that's why the attendance was dominated by the 2 schools within 2.5 hours of Salem.

And that "western dominance" is pretty much held by D1 and D1 alone. Sorry.

Remember that "it takes a heck of a lot longer to get to Salem from eastern VA than western VA" discussion we had earlier this week. Maybe...just maybe...that's why the attendance was dominated by the 2 schools within 2.5 hours of Salem.

I would agree with you if not for the fact that GW and Clintwood fans in the very least equaled turnouts in the east home games the last two years in the semi-finals. It isn't the distance factor.

I believe Battle took more than twice the amount of fans to the game at Essex as the home team did. 6+ hour drive from Bristol and our fans packed the visitor's side 3 hours before kickoff while the home stands were about half full (if that) 15-20 minutes before kickoff. West represents...'nuff said. lol.

Should be interesting next year with Essex dropping down to 1-A. They weren't well coached but were very athletic. Goochland on the other hand was athletic and really well coached. I would say they were one of the most disciplined teams I've ever seen. The coaches do a really good job for them. I would like to send out a congratulations to George Wythe on winning the State Championship and also to Honaker on a very good season. It was a great game and I hate to see a team lose when both teams laid it all on the line. Next year should be interesting with the new realignment. Hopefully we can some West teams in both championships next year.

West represents...'nuff said

Thats how I see it!

Essex is right at 3.5 hours from Salem, Honaker 2.5. An hour isint a huge difference.

Essex moving down to A will be interesting, they looked athletic(everywhere!) and had talent. Will definately be a force next year.

vhsl will probably change playoff format.. for d1......no flip flopping (east goes to west- vise versa). to make sure they have a east contender.......for state finals................

DI all Western Teams & D2 all Eastern Teams. The two best teams in the final, hopefully, is more important than geography.

That's the reason I prefer the WV system. If #15 Graham has to go to #2 Essex on a Saturday, so be it.

Exactly. And if the two best teams lie in the Western half of the state, so be it. It doesn't have to be East vs West. It's about the two best TEAMS in the state. Not the best from each side.

vhsl will probably change playoff format.. for d1......no flip flopping (east goes to west- vise versa). to make sure they have a east contender.......for state finals................

Why would the VHSL want to guarantee an East team in the finals when the West teams are the ones who have been bringing all the paying fans?