Rob Parker "Cornball brother" comment

bucfan64

Why isn't this considered racism? Keep in mind that he questions RGIII because of having a "white" fiance and the rumor that he might be Republican.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2012/12/13/ESPN-Rob-Parker-RGIII-not-black

Because double-standards are tolerated, and even celebrated in, certain communities.

Why is it that when a black person doesent act like a thug they are considered a uncle tom(or cornball brother, that ones new to me)?

RGIII is a good person and a hard worker. He represents his family well, has talents that are off the charts and is as humble as anyone ive ever seen interviewed. He really doesent deserve that crap.

Regardless of your politics Obama was even accused of not really being black, we all know he is bi-racial.

I cant understand how the black community stands for this stuff? A man goes out and does well for himself and then has to deal with this stuff.

Oh, and I really, REALLY dont like Stephen A. Smith but im glad he sorta called Parker out for his comments, sorta.

I cant understand how the black community stands for this stuff? A man goes out and does well for himself and then has to deal with this stuff.

There is a significant segment* of the black community that openly embraces the ghetto/victim complex, and RGIII is as far opposite of that as you can imagine. For that segment, it's the philosophy to say "Look what the government's done to me!", or "I've been trampled on by THE MAN!", instead of "I will work to overcome my negative situation" or "I must better myself for my family and community".

Segments of the black community will openly dump on RGIII because he's a THREAT to the very heart of their ethos.

*I say "segment", because it is by no means "all". But we would be fooling ourselves to believe it doesn't exist.

Just posted that Rob Parker was suspended from ESPN for his comments yesterday.

Should have been terminated.

"ESPN is conducting its review." What review of this situation could possibly take longer than one day?! The only decision is whether you're going to fight the clause for a contract buyout.

Edited by UVAObserver

"ESPN is conducting its review." What review of this situation could possibly take longer than one day?! The only decision is whether you're going to fight the clause for a contract buyout.

Fire him. and dont pay him a dime!

You won't hear the black community call this racism, mainly because the black community only sees racism from one angle...white on black racism. That's the harsh truth. We won't hear from Al Sharpton or Jessie Jackson, because this would shed a negative light on their agenda, which is now and has always been to promote black people AT ALL COST, athletes included. It has nothing to do with equality, and everything to do with payback. Sorry if that offends anyone, but that's how I see it. There are a lot of black people who don't lean on the race crutch, like RGIII and Tiger Woods, who I admire. There are other black people like Jim Brown, Steven A. Smith, etc. who exploit it and use it for gain. I wouldn't give you 2 cents for those bigots.

Yep, if something that derogatory had been said by a white person, they would have been fired immediately and no one would ever hire them again.

I think it's a slap on the wrist but what say you...

“ESPN has decided to suspend Rob Parker for 30 days for his comments made on last Thursday’s episode ofFirst Take. Our review of the preparation for the show and the re-air has established that mistakes both in judgment and communication were made. As a direct result, clearly inappropriate content was aired and then re-aired without editing. Both were errors on our part.

“To address this, we have enhanced the editorial oversight of the show and have taken appropriate disciplinary measures with the personnel responsible for these failures. We will continue to discuss important issues in sports on First Take, including race. Debate is an integral part of sports and we will continue to engage in it on First Take. However, we believe what we have learned here and the steps we have taken will help us do all that better.â€

I think it's a slap on the wrist but what say you...

“ESPN has decided to suspend Rob Parker for 30 days for his comments made on last Thursday’s episode ofFirst Take. Our review of the preparation for the show and the re-air has established that mistakes both in judgment and communication were made. As a direct result, clearly inappropriate content was aired and then re-aired without editing. Both were errors on our part.

“To address this, we have enhanced the editorial oversight of the show and have taken appropriate disciplinary measures with the personnel responsible for these failures. We will continue to discuss important issues in sports on First Take, including race. Debate is an integral part of sports and we will continue to engage in it on First Take. However, we believe what we have learned here and the steps we have taken will help us do all that better.â€

Hell, they just gave Parker a vacation. PLUS punishing people who couldn't so much control what came forth from Parker's mouth so much as I can control the weather. ESPN should be ashamed of itself.