AHS stays undefeated

BigO

Abingdon has historically been a pretty decent basketball school. I just can't figure out why they are so terrible in football year after year.

We were sub .500 last year in basketball so to be 8-0 so far is pretty good for these kids. I will give you the very reason we are terrible in football. There's actually 2 reasons....1). Coaching staff 2) AD is also the head BB coach....and yes, that is an issue for our football program. All the AD cares about is the BB team....and Bowles doesn't give a crap about the football program himself. So if you have a FB coach that doesn't care and an AD with a Napoleon complex and is worried about proving his worth...well, what you end up with is an AD that by no means wants to change football coaches. He's afraid he might get a new coach that does give a crap and turn the school back into a FB school. As it is, he's trying to turn AHS into a BB school. Bowles makes no ripples because he's just riding things out until he's asked to leave...and thats the way AD wants it. If BB team keeps winning then that truly hurts the football program because it makes it tougher to get rid of either coach (or AD). I heard that some little league coaches were taking some kids to the Knoxville football tournament a few years ago(Battle in Rocky Top)...and some of the BB players were going to go play with them. But when the BB coach heard about this he told the kids that if they went to FB tourney then they WOULD NOT be on the BB team. I know this for a fact. Most schools celebrate the multi sport athlete...not AHS. The coaches are more worried about how THEY look (mainly the BB team and the baseball team coaches) instead of what kind of person their athletes could be. Who in their right mind would prevent kids from having the experience of playing against some of the best talent in the country??? Our BB coach is who. Sorry for rambling....I get a little riled up whenever I talk about this.

You're exactly right Big O. As long Abingdon's AD stays the same the football team will continue to struggle. Why would he want to bring in a winner that could take away from the basketball program? The sad thing is a good coach could win a lot of games at Abingdon with the talent they have but it's not going to happen until changes take place with the administrators.

we were sub .500 last year in basketball so to be 8-0 so far is pretty good for these kids. I will give you the very reason we are terrible in football. There's actually 2 reasons....1). Coaching staff 2) ad is also the head bb coach....and yes, that is an issue for our football program. All the ad cares about is the bb team....and bowles doesn't give a crap about the football program himself. So if you have a fb coach that doesn't care and an ad with a napoleon complex and is worried about proving his worth...well, what you end up with is an ad that by no means wants to change football coaches. He's afraid he might get a new coach that does give a crap and turn the school back into a fb school. As it is, he's trying to turn ahs into a bb school. Bowles makes no ripples because he's just riding things out until he's asked to leave...and thats the way ad wants it. If bb team keeps winning then that truly hurts the football program because it makes it tougher to get rid of either coach (or ad). I heard that some little league coaches were taking some kids to the knoxville football tournament a few years ago(battle in rocky top)...and some of the bb players were going to go play with them. But when the bb coach heard about this he told the kids that if they went to fb tourney then they would not be on the bb team. I know this for a fact. Most schools celebrate the multi sport athlete...not ahs. The coaches are more worried about how they look (mainly the bb team and the baseball team coaches) instead of what kind of person their athletes could be. Who in their right mind would prevent kids from having the experience of playing against some of the best talent in the country??? Our bb coach is who. Sorry for rambling....i get a little riled up whenever i talk about this.

Thats a Big Amen!!!!

We were sub .500 last year in basketball so to be 8-0 so far is pretty good for these kids. I will give you the very reason we are terrible in football. There's actually 2 reasons....1). Coaching staff 2) AD is also the head BB coach....and yes, that is an issue for our football program. All the AD cares about is the BB team....and Bowles doesn't give a crap about the football program himself. So if you have a FB coach that doesn't care and an AD with a Napoleon complex and is worried about proving his worth...well, what you end up with is an AD that by no means wants to change football coaches. He's afraid he might get a new coach that does give a crap and turn the school back into a FB school. As it is, he's trying to turn AHS into a BB school. Bowles makes no ripples because he's just riding things out until he's asked to leave...and thats the way AD wants it. If BB team keeps winning then that truly hurts the football program because it makes it tougher to get rid of either coach (or AD). I heard that some little league coaches were taking some kids to the Knoxville football tournament a few years ago(Battle in Rocky Top)...and some of the BB players were going to go play with them. But when the BB coach heard about this he told the kids that if they went to FB tourney then they WOULD NOT be on the BB team. I know this for a fact. Most schools celebrate the multi sport athlete...not AHS. The coaches are more worried about how THEY look (mainly the BB team and the baseball team coaches) instead of what kind of person their athletes could be. Who in their right mind would prevent kids from having the experience of playing against some of the best talent in the country??? Our BB coach is who. Sorry for rambling....I get a little riled up whenever I talk about this.

Thanks for the input. Man, that's unfortunate. With the potential at Abingdon being what it is I would think the Falcons should be competing on the level of some of the top teams in the area.