What is the VA Senate Up To

Hacker

I find it interesting that they throw this monkey wrench in on a day when one Democrat was absent and it hasn't been vetted. I am curious as to what the end game will be. If the GA changes with the next election will their be another attempt to redraw the boundaries.

Since when did Democrats worry about the Constitution? (Sarcasm intended)

Fact is two wrongs do not make a right, Gerrymandering by either party to gain any type of advantage is not in the best interest of the people. Just goes to show that manipulation takes place, regardless of what side of the aisle that you are on.

I imagine this will be shot down or"compromised," before it is over with.

Fact is two wrongs do not make a right, Gerrymandering by either party to gain any type of advantage is not in the best interest of the people.

congrats on using the word Gerrymandering...outstanding!

Since when did Democrats worry about the Constitution? (Sarcasm intended)

Fact is two wrongs do not make a right, Gerrymandering by either party to gain any type of advantage is not in the best interest of the people. Just goes to show that manipulation takes place, regardless of what side of the aisle that you are on.

I imagine this will be shot down or"compromised," before it is over with.

Both have done it. When it comes to Gerrymandering, I love how districts can have weird shapes and still be contiguous and compact. For example NC had a Congressional district a while back that is spots was just the width of the Interstate so they could create a black majority district.

Whatever they are doing is probably fueled by payoffs and kick-backs... That group is corrupt as hell.

Looks like Dominion power paid off enough of them to allow them to put those windmills on East River Mountain....

Not anymore...

Not unless:

(1) There is federal preemption (and with Obama, you can bet there will be none); or

(2) The GA inserts a "no windmills" provision into Chapter 22 of Title 15.2 of the Code of Virginia. Furthermore, the GA would have to abolish and reenact 15.2-2295.1, which specifically gives the locality the right to regulate these things. And Tazewell County, by a 3-2 vote 3 years prior, did just that.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-2295.1

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientID=12360&stateID=46&statename=Virginia (see Sec. 15-110 et seq.)

As I said, this is entirely a local thing. The Code of Virginia explicitly states so. I don't know WV's provisions, but I can't imagine it's that dissimilar.

Edited by UVAObserver