Chilhowie and Northwood

uvahooelse

Looks like Chilhowie and Northwood will be combining in 2015. County has no choice because of budget issues. Sports program will be decent and the students will have better opportunities for advanced classes. Walker Mountain High School here we come.

Just a quick question: Are there multiple areas/mountains in VA that are called Walker Mountain? I noticed the supposed new school's name on here, which would be in Smyth County and I've heard people from Gate City in Scott County talk about Walker Mountain. There's also an area called Walker Mountain in Washington County (my church is actually called Walker Mountain Baptist Church and is near Walker Mountain Road back in the hills of western Washington County between the Bristol area and Mendota).

The Walker Mountain ridge is what divides the two schools currently.

Northwood actually looked at that name and so did Smyth co years ago when they thought about merging the entire county. Walker Mtn. Raiders was one of the choices along with Jeb Stuart Raiders.

Northwood actually looked at that name and so did Smyth co years ago when they thought about merging the entire county. Walker Mtn. Raiders was one of the choices along with Jeb Stuart Raiders.

Already got a JEB Stuart. I think one school honoring Virginia's 3rd-most prestigious Civil War general is enough.

My submission would have been the "Smyth County Generals". Since Alexander Smyth was a general during the War of 1812 and all. But then again, I'm still aghast that Marion didn't pick up the "Foxes" nickname, since the bloody town's only named after Francis "Swamp Fox" Marion.

I nominate myself to be the official namer of SWVA sports teams.

There are about 30 Marions in the US, all named after Francis Marion, none have high school mascots of foxes primarily because the towns have their own unique histories and Francis Marion didn't set foot in any of them. While it seems logical, it doesn't quite sound right to me. Marion is already unique for having a goat and a hurricane as a mascot. It's nonsensical to the rest of us but memorable.

I don't think they can name a school "something-county" with another school already in the county (Marion) so it would need to be something more specific to the Chilhowie/Northwood side of the county. For instance, Lee High School is not Lee County High School because of Thomas Walker. Giles High School is not Giles County High School because of Narrows. Maybe something like Western Smyth would work.

Generals is too generic for my taste and Alexander Smyth had very little to do with either of those communities. There were some notable Civil War Battles in Saltville that Generals could pay tribute to but that ignores Chilhowie, which has more of a Native American background. As these things always go (if there even is a consolidation), there will be a vote among students and it will be something we can all agree to hate, which ironically brings both communities closer together. It will probably be the Whitetop Road Gophers, the Horseshoe Bend Bandits, or the Midway Mountaineers. The last one actually makes sense.

I also want to correct myself. I believe it's actually the Brushy Mountain Ridge that separates them. I think the Walker Mountain Ridge separates Saltville from Richlands/Honaker/Tazewell.

Marion was originally Royal Oak after the Campbell farm. There was a strong urge in the 19th century to rename places after Revolutionary War participants, Marion never lived in this area. We did have a lot more local ties with South Carolina than one would have thought.

There are about 30 Marions in the US, all named after Francis Marion, none have high school mascots of foxes primarily because the towns have their own unique histories and Francis Marion didn't set foot in any of them. While it seems logical, it doesn't quite sound right to me. Marion is already unique for having a goat and a hurricane as a mascot. It's

Incorrect...

http://www.marion1.k12.sc.us/education/school/school.php?sectionid=5

Marion is fortunate that back in the 20's no one had a warped sense of humor. In the West years ago a high school had the moniker Maniacs- I believe it was an Idaho school . The Marion Maniacs would have been an interesting nickname for obvious reasons- alliterative too.

Marion is fortunate that back in the 20's no one had a warped sense of humor. In the West years ago a high school had the moniker Maniacs- I believe it was an Idaho school . The Marion Maniacs would have been an interesting nickname for obvious reasons- alliterative too.

That reminds me of a chant that my dad told me the Battle football teams he played on used to sing at the game against Marion each year involving the mental hospital (or whatever the correct name for that place is).......just before Marion proceeded in spanking them on the field, lol.

Northwood looked at Walker Mountain Wildcats and JEB Stuart Generals never did I see a Raider on our ballot. And oh yes I voted as I am a alum of the 1st class of Northwood High School.

I see your Google is better than my Google.

1 of 30, 1 with Swamp Fox, 0 with simply Fox.

Truce?

Did not have to use my GoogleFu...I knew this from being very familiar with NE SC...

Little Ole Northwood is going to the state while Big Ole Marion is sitting at home. Hey RED are you sure you want to come into the HOGO?

I dont care what district we play in we will still beat chilhowie and little ole northwood in football and boys basketball

Little Ole Northwood is going to the state while Big Ole Marion is sitting at home. Hey RED are you sure you want to come into the HOGO?

If Northwood and Chilhowie ever combined their enrollment would be bigger than Marion`s. I would be eager to see if some the Hogo people would be acting then like they are about Marion joining. They would be a school of around 750 playing Holston and PH. It doesn`t matter though uvahooelse, even if they were combined this year Marion still would have beat them easily any way in football and basketball.

If Northwood and Chilhowie ever combined their enrollment would be bigger than Marion`s. I would be eager to see if some the Hogo people would be acting then like they are about Marion joining. They would be a school of around 750 playing Holston and PH. It doesn`t matter though uvahooelse, even if they were combined this year Marion still would have beat them easily any way in football and basketball.

How easily did you beat Chilhowie at home this year?

Yeaaah. This is your first decent season in sports in years because you're twice the size of almost all your non-district opponents.

How easily did you beat Chilhowie at home this year?

Yeaaah. This is your first decent season in sports in years because you're twice the size of almost all your non-district opponents.

it is what it is stop beating a dead horse

Edited by Canes00