2013 Second Chance Rocks Concert

To feature Justin Moore, Craig Campbell, Shooter Jennings, Clare Dunn with special guest DJ. Kayla Sloane is the first local act. Tickets are $35. Date is Saturday June 29th.

http://www.secondchancelearning.com/concert

I'm surprised SCLC is holding another one of these, honestly...

That's a very interesting set, though. Justin Moore is VERY underrated as a singer, and puts out consistent, quality work. On the other hand, Shooter Jennings is the prime example of riding someone else's coattails to success. Shooter's entire career has been marketed off being Waylon's son, as noticed by his one (1) single ever to chart (4th of July - #26), but having three (3) Top-12 country records. And he attracts the "drunk uncivilized redneck" crowd that contributed in small part to last year's PR disaster.

Craig Campbell's the stereotypical "don't know what you're gonna get" artist. His first album was a modest success, but his 3 releases from that album were not particularly well received. Wouldn't shock me if he ended up on the level of someone like Luke Bryan, or if he was completely out of the industry in 5 years.

And he attracts the "drunk uncivilized redneck" crowd that contributed in small part to last year's PR disaster.

PR disaster???? I thought the "PR disaster" was the storm that "cancelled" the original concert and the chaos that ensued trying to reschedule....

PR disaster???? I thought the "PR disaster" was the storm that "cancelled" the original concert and the chaos that ensued trying to reschedule....

I said "in small part", did I not?

Prison riots had safer conditions than the area within a one-mile radius of Mitchell Stadium that night. I know because I was in that area that evening, having stopped in to check on my future wife at work. Intoxicated people who would normally be (1) jammin' to tunes and (2) in a centralized location were, after the concert was cancelled, then uncancelled, then cancelled again, (1) pissed the Hell off, (2) in need of an outlet for their frustrations, (3) spread out all over the place, and (4) behind the wheel while still plastered.

I witnessed multiple fights; several tense confrontations that could've been; dozens of drunk drivers; enough obscenity to put Redd Foxx and Richard Pryor to shame; and other obnoxious Hell-raising.

But kudos to the Bluefield, VA Pizza Hut. Great service that night, all things considered.

The storm wasn't the only black eye to SCLC's concert reputation...

I also seen were anything on the field was bring your own chair with you general admission and bleacher seats are reserved might have a lot more people sitting in the bleachers this year.

That will be a cluster F&*K from hell. I went to a free concert in Pittsburgh when I was in college. Obviously since it was free you knew it was going to bring people from all walks of life out. The line-up was Julie Roberts, Lonestar, Dierks Bentley along with some smaller acts.

There were several people who got there early and brought their chairs. My friends and I didn't bring chairs and got as close up as possible without being a disturbance to those who did bring chairs. Things were fine until the crowd started to pick up and there were several people standing in front of those with chairs. Then that lead to arguments and fights.

• 1 month later...

Well it happens next month i'm going to be there from the start of it but I figure with it starting at noon the place will not start to fill up until the evening when the bigger names come out. I think this year will end up being the last one they do from what I have been hearing I loved the 2 previous shows and i'm sure this one is going to be great as well.

• 1 month later...

Less than 2 weeks out now and the closer it gets the more excited I am about the show I can not wait.

You and about 30 other people. I've heard no one talking about it this year unlike the last two years...

You and about 30 other people. I've heard no one talking about it this year unlike the last two years...

Sounds like typical Bluefield. Loses interest/gets bored easy.

How many people from around the area attend the Mountain Festival anymore during Memorial Day weekend?

That's because the lineup is $hit. Look at the past years, Dierks, Montgomery, Eric, Brantley, Jake Owens, Lee Brice. This year is Justin and a bunch of 3rd tier talent. When you don't get more than one big name, you'll have less interest. It's their own fault.

That's because the lineup is $hit. Look at the past years, Dierks, Montgomery, Eric, Brantley, Jake Owens, Lee Brice. This year is Justin and a bunch of 3rd tier talent. When you don't get more than one big name, you'll have less interest. It's their own fault.

I agree completely...they started too big, people expect the same, or better. This year, not so much.

People are not giving Campbell enough credit he is good and could end up being one of the next big stars in country we will just have to wait and see.

I heard they ordered 11,000 cases of beer for this event...I told them that was WAY too much, there won't be 11,000 people there and I doubt each person will drink a case...

People are not giving Campbell enough credit he is good and could end up being one of the next big stars in country we will just have to wait and see.

I'm along with this line of reasoning. Justin Moore and Craig Campbell is a damn good lineup to play at an off-the-beaten-path place like Mitchell Stadium is. They're young talent; they're just not household names yet. What I think really kills the lineup is Shooter Jennings, and you can see my opinion of him on Page #1 of this thread. And I listen to a fair bit of country music, but I've never heard of Clare Dunn. SCLC's really reaching with including her in this concert. After some research, I found exactly one (1) entry for her, and that was backup vocals on a 2011 Luke Bryan song.

I heard they ordered 11,000 cases of beer for this event...I told them that was WAY too much, there won't be 11,000 people there and I doubt each person will drink a case...

SCLC's just begging for a PR disaster. Way too much beer + vendors who care not for the VIP laws = someone getting stabbed or shot.

Especially with the kind of fans that Shooter Jennings will bring out...

Could being the key word there. Look at last year: Eric Church- Superstar. Jake Owen- Star. Lee Brice- Star. The year before that: Deirks Bentley- Superstar. Montgomery Gentry- Superstars. Easton Corbin- ended up becoming a star. Justin Moore- now a star. Brantley Gilbert- ended up being a star. But the difference is, Justin Moore is just a star. He isn't a superstar like they've had in years past. When you have a Star, and surround him with B and C talent, you get a bad show, and bad attendance. I love JM, but I refuse to pay 35 to see him and Folk Soul Revival. They got what they wished for.

Could being the key word there. Look at last year: Eric Church- Superstar. Jake Owen- Star. Lee Brice- Star. The year before that: Deirks Bentley- Superstar. Montgomery Gentry- Superstars. Easton Corbin- ended up becoming a star. Justin Moore- now a star. Brantley Gilbert- ended up being a star. But the difference is, Justin Moore is just a star. He isn't a superstar like they've had in years past. When you have a Star, and surround him with B and C talent, you get a bad show, and bad attendance. I love JM, but I refuse to pay 35 to see him and Folk Soul Revival. They got what they wished for.

I think of music in "Tiers".

Tier A: "Someone a reasonable concert promoter would give top billing in a major concert venue."

Tier B: "Someone a reasonable concert promoter would have perform in a major concert venue."

Tier C: "Someone a reasonable concert promoter would give top billing in a small concert venue."

Tier D: "Someone a reasonable concert promoter would have perform in a small concert venue."

You have acts like John Michael Montgomery, who were Tier A in the 1990s and are Tier C in the 2010s (McDowell County Fair).

Same for Collin Raye, who put on one Hell of a show at the Carlisle Theater when I was up there. Again, small venue, Tier C.

Tier A today? I think Eric Church makes it. Dierks Bentley, Montgomery Gentry, sure. Though MG is slipping, and has never had good live stuff.

Tier B today? Justin Moore, Jake Owen, Lee Brice, Brantley Gilbert. Need to see more from these guys.

Tier C today? Craig Campbell, Craig Morgan, etc. Though Craig Campbell's making the leap to Tier B.

Tier D today? Shooter Jennings and his ilk.

Last year's show worked because you had A-B-B. This year is B-B-C-D-D, and it clearly doesn't mesh. If SCLC wants to make this a major event, you have to bring in at least one big-time act. They could've rung up someone like Brad Paisley, surely. Brad Paisley would be HUGE for them, in fact, given his WV roots.

A lot of big time "A" or "superstars" as you all mentioned require upwards of 1 million to book. When the big storm of last year shut the first one down and the SCLC had to pay for Jake Owen and Eric Church to come back, plus set up, clean up, and not re-charging most people admission for the second concert probably put them in a hole, or very close to it. In my opinion, the SCLC either didn't have as much funds dedicated to this years lineup after the slim (or none) profits of last year, or they were too scared to put a lot of money or effort into this years after the uncontrollable PR disaster of last summer. If people come out and support this years event I'm sure next year will be a lineup like the last two years.

Even though I'm disappointed in this year too, we all should feel lucky that the SCLC puts on a show like this annually for an area that quite frankly doesn't deserve it.

A lot of big time "A" or "superstars" as you all mentioned require upwards of 1 million to book. When the big storm of last year shut the first one down and the SCLC had to pay for Jake Owen and Eric Church to come back, plus set up, clean up, and not re-charging most people admission for the second concert probably put them in a hole, or very close to it. In my opinion, the SCLC either didn't have as much funds dedicated to this years lineup after the slim (or none) profits of last year, or they were too scared to put a lot of money or effort into this years after the uncontrollable PR disaster of last summer. If people come out and support this years event I'm sure next year will be a lineup like the last two years.

Even though I'm disappointed in this year too, we all should feel lucky that the SCLC puts on a show like this annually for an area that quite frankly doesn't deserve it.

Good points, though I have just two small quibbles. One, it doesn't even take remotely close to $1M to book a Tier-A star for 1 gig. You might scratch low 6-figures if you go after someone like Brad Paisley, etc., and that doesn't include the charity aspect that might drive the cost down even lower. Two, Mitchell Stadium could be marketed as a reasonable outdoor major venue. But, of course, we're talking about Bluefield, WV, and we know how proactive that city's government is.

The million I mentioned was a direct quote from the SCLC. I don't have any direct knowledge of the situation, I was just making assumptions based on what their Facebook said. I will stick by and say that they just didn't want to go all in after having to put on two shows last year.

The million I mentioned was a direct quote from the SCLC. I don't have any direct knowledge of the situation, I was just making assumptions based on what their Facebook said. I will stick by and say that they just didn't want to go all in after having to put on two shows last year.

There are three possibilities.

One, SCLC's reps are lying, which I'm not inclined to believe.

Two, SCLC's reps are the worst negotiators on the planet.

Three, SCLC directly contacted the singer's agent instead of booking through an agency, which is what I'm inclined to believe.

It's pretty common knowledge that you NEVER contact a star's agent directly for special appearances. There are talent booking agencies that will swing you very sweet deals for 20% of the cost.

There are three possibilities.

One, SCLC's reps are lying, which I'm not inclined to believe.

Two, SCLC's reps are the worst negotiators on the planet.

Three, SCLC directly contacted the singer's agent instead of booking through an agency, which is what I'm inclined to believe.

It's pretty common knowledge that you NEVER contact a star's agent directly for special appearances. There are talent booking agencies that will swing you very sweet deals for 20% of the cost.

Im with you I believe what has happened is they have tried to go right to the singers agent and when you do that it cost more sometimes a whole lot more because the agent is going to get so much of the cut.

From a credible source that wishes to remain anonymous, Eric Church, a "Tier A" star costed them under 6 figures. There is NO artist in this world that gets away with 1 mil per performance. That is just outlandish numbers. Don't believe what SCLC says. They are short on funds due to the storm last year, and they couldn't get away with a big name this year.