Johnny Manziel Destroyed by the NCAA

I haven't been keeping up with all this Manziel drama. Could somebody give me a quick overview of what's going on?

There's really not a quick way to go over his summer. Hahaha. 

Read this. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9609389/johnny-manziel-texas-aggies-suspended-1st-half-season-opener-rice-owls

Here's my take. Johnny, being a rich boy didn't need the cash. His high school buddy, who serves as his "manager" does. They cook up the autograph racket. The buddy who is not subject to NCAA rules can keep the cash and Johnny doesn't get his hands dirty.

The NCAA can only nail him by saying he should have reasonably known that someone was profiting from all those signatures.

I figure Johnny profited when his buddy bought a round of golf or beer.

BTW, if Johnny wasn't a rich boy who could afford a big time lawyer, he goes down for more time - (A. J. Green)

Then maybe the NCAA should do what the mainstream media won't in important things...

Anyway, the kid is a college player under a serious microscope...I say, if he can make a little money by using his own name, go for it.  The NCAA and Texas A&M sure make a lot of money from his name.  I know he gets an education out of the deal but I would wager the school/NCAA are more than making up for that.

Then maybe the NCAA should do what the mainstream media won't in important things...

Anyway, the kid is a college player under a serious microscope...I say, if he can make a little money by using his own name, go for it.  The NCAA and Texas A&M sure make a lot of money from his name.  I know he gets an education out of the deal but I would wager the school/NCAA are more than making up for that.

I'm really not trying to pick a fight here, but I'd like to hit two things.

First, I don't know how to take your first snippet.  I don't know whether to make a joke along the lines of: "Do you really want something as incompetent as the NCAA investigating Fast and Furious?  They'd probably give Eric Holder a raise!".  I don't know whether to just chalk it up to a very "fail" serious retort.  Beats me.  I just don't know you well enough, y'know?  But I digress.

Second, what you see here with the NCAA is a microcosm of society at large.  At the risk of throwing out a bunch of red herrings, you see this everywhere.  Do you think truck drivers are adequately compensated?  Without them, the product doesn't reach the store shelves.  Do you think the police are adequately compensated?  Without them, our towns, cities, and states would devolve into anarchy.  Do you think our textile workers are adequately compensated?  Without them, Wal-Mart wouldn't have squat to sell.  As for Manziel, it's not as simple as "Look how many people he brings to the stadium!".  If Manziel had never been born, Texas A&M fans would still be packing the stands as the 12th man.  But without a university and its supporting infrastructure, there's no football team for Manziel to play on.  Without coaches, there is no team.  Without the architects, there is no stadium.  Without the electricians, there is no lighting.  Without the vendors, there is no food.  Without the police, there is no safety.

Tabulating the cost of what the college athlete does receive for free:

(1) An education: $10K-$50K/year

(2) Meal plans: $1K-$3K/year

(3) Academic tutoring: $2K-$10K/year

(4) Free apparrel: $500-$1K/year

(5) Tickets for family: $500-$2K/year

(6) Transportation to/from games: $1K-$10K/year (these players fly first class...believe me)

It's a cute little argument and all: "These players don't receive any money, they should get a cut!"  But the more closely it's scrutinized, the more the argument falters.  Tallying up the value of what would qualify as taxable income for you and me, these kids are already more richly compensated than 99% of any 18 to 22-year-olds in the US today.  And that's before we talk about the prestige and connections these kids get.  And we're arguing for them to get more?  It's like the anti-Occupy Wall Street. 

Interesting arguement. I don't feel sorry for NCAA athletes, but I also don't agree with making money off of their name. I worked as a sheet metal fabricator, some company(usually the US Govt.) made a bunch of money off of the products I helped make. I always undertood I was part of a team and knew that I would be payed for my efforts to the team. In Manziel's case it is his name, not just A&M's. If it were a jersey number, or whatever, I am good with it, but when the school individualizes the player in the uniform, my personal opinion is they should get a part of that profit. Why not donate it to a local charity in his name or something? Anything would be better than trying to ruin a kid's pro football career over using his own name for some cash.

BTW UVAO, we all know college athletes just get handed all those things on that list...they don't have to sacrifice any time, energy, family to make sure they keep those benefits for 5 years. LOL

Interesting arguement. I don't feel sorry for NCAA athletes, but I also don't agree with making money off of their name. I worked as a sheet metal fabricator, some company(usually the US Govt.) made a bunch of money off of the products I helped make. I always undertood I was part of a team and knew that I would be payed for my efforts to the team. In Manziel's case it is his name, not just A&M's. If it were a jersey number, or whatever, I am good with it, but when the school individualizes the player in the uniform, my personal opinion is they should get a part of that profit. Why not donate it to a local charity in his name or something? Anything would be better than trying to ruin a kid's pro football career over using his own name for some cash.

BTW UVAO, we all know college athletes just get handed all those things on that list...they don't have to sacrifice any time, energy, family to make sure they keep those benefits for 5 years. LOL

I never said nor implied that the players shouldn't be in some way compensated for sacrificing energy, time, and relationships to provide the product as college football.  My point, which I thought was pretty clear, is that they are already compensated, and compensated handsomely for the assumed "job".  They are earning the equivalent of $20K-$75K a year, depending upon whether they're going to Jacksonville State or Stanford.  By comparison, the salary for an NFL scout team player is $5700/week for 17 weeks/year, or $96,900/year.  If you starting giving out additional unnecessary perks to players, players may soon be earning more income playing in college than they would on a professional level.  Lunacy, aint it?

Speaking of ruining a pro career, Manziel's already more than done that by his numerous off-the-field incidents.  His leadership and professionalism was shot long, long before this incident.  Not to say that he would've made it big, anyway: he possesses rather pedestrian measurables with a technique that isn't going to get him anywhere professionally.

To touch briefly about using his name, likeness, and image, ponder for a moment why a Letter of Intent contains more than 1 sentence and a signature line.

Maybe the schools should be banned from using the individual names for profit then. I understood your point. Maybe you didn't understand mine. Manziel isn't the only ncaa athlete to sign an autograph. I also know there are more lines than one on a letter of intent, but thanks for sharing. I will let more intellectual minds than mine argue this from now on.

My tongue was firmly in my cheek with the NCAA investigating serious matters comment...

There are few things in life you truly own;  your name is one of those.  I would argue that it is inappropriate for an institution or business to profit from using a players/employees name.  The LOI signed does not authorize the use of the players name/likeness by the institution. 

I work for a large company.  I have designed several items that have been patented.  The company owns those patents.  They profit from those patents.  I am compensated to create items of value.  If I do not, my position can be terminated.  However, I have not authorized my likeness and name to be used to further promote the patented items for the company.

A college football player "works" for an institution of higher learning.  He is "compensated" with an education to produce a viable work product on the field.  If he does not, his compensation (scholarship) can be withdrawn.  He is not compensated to be a pitch man for the college of which he attends.

So to me it is fairly simple;  if you use a players name or likeness, pay them for it.  They are currently only "paying for the work product".