Richlands has a history of dominating the SWD

Jason

Thanks for the perspective.  I definitely see where you're coming from now because '80 and '81 were absolutely wretched.  My recollection of 1981 is that you guys were up 42-0 at halftime and probably could've posted any final score you wanted.  My perspective is that Richlands was essentially mediocre over the course of the '70s and '80s with flashes of both competitiveness and absolute misery peppered within.  The weird dynamic that I observed in the '90s (when the program started to win with some level of consistency) was the fact that most long-time Richlands supporters weren't as excited about the experience of success as much as they'd expected that kind of performance all along.

And although the win-loss ledger has certainly been more pleasant to reflect upon in the last 20 years, I will confess that I am nostalgic for the days of the old 10-team SWD.  With rare exceptions, a win in that league against ANY team was worth savoring.

I absolutely loved the old SWD.  Our only non district game back then was against Tenn. High.  Every game meant so much.  I remember going 8-2 and not making the playoffs.  Things certainly have changed. 

I absolutely loved the old SWD.  Our only non district game back then was against Tenn. High.  Every game meant so much.  I remember going 8-2 and not making the playoffs.  Things certainly have changed. 

If you lost one game back then you most likely missed the playoffs. Gate City was 9-1 in 1973 missing the playoffs. That loss was to Virginia High 19-12.

Richlands is gonna have a tough year, no doubt about it. I just hope that River Michaels can keep his composure and surprise a few people including me. Is he a sophomore? If so, its gonna be rough for him come game day, but I hope he can handle it. We will see what Mance can do come Friday night and see if we can continue the little bit of "dominence" we have had, or if this is the start of reconstruction.

He's a junior. He impressed me at Honaker with his poise once they let him open it up. He's had all week to work with the 1s, so hopefully he can stand the pressure. We need a healthy dose of Staten tonight.

He's a junior. He impressed me at Honaker with his poise once they let him open it up. He's had all week to work with the 1s, so hopefully he can stand the pressure. We need a healthy dose of Staten tonight.

I can agree with that statement. I know I will be on the sideline hooting and hollering as usual regardless. If Staten can get about 30 to 35 carries tonight and have some good movement, should be alright.

Agree completely.  A very healthy dose of Staten.