Fort Chiswell may lose tonight. Don't let this possible loss fool you

BandanaVTDavis4321

Fort Chiswell is the best Div 1 or Div 2 or Div 3 team in SWVA or West of Roanoke in my opinion.  Fort Chiswell goes on the road and plays an absolute powerhouse in Thomasville, NC.  They stand a very, very good chance of losing this game.  Thomasville High has approximately 850 students grades 9 through 12 and they are a little larger than Fort Chiswell in number, but not my much.  Thomasville High has won 8 North Carolina state championships in football and is the 3rd most winning program in the state of North Carolina by winning percentage behind only Richmond County and Reidsville, NC (the current school where former Graham Coach Doug Marrs serves as an assistant coach).  Thomasville is absolutely nasty and do not let their record fool you.  If you look on Maxpreps, you will see that Thomasville is 1 and 4.  This is extremely misleading and its the history of Thomasville.  They open the season nearly every year with 4 very large schools that are powerhouses and the VA equivalent of Div's 4, 5, and 6.  They have a history of starting their season 1 and 3, or 2 and 3, or 1 and 4, then winning 6 or 7 games in a row to end the regular season and entering the playoffs at 7 and 4, or 8 and 3, or 6 and 5.  In North Carolina, they play 11 regular season games.  Anyway, there are always 3 losses on their schedule that are very misleading if you simply glance at their record, but when they get into the playoffs, they often go to the state semi's or state title, and sometimes, they win the whole thing.  Imagine Fort Chiswell opening up with Salem, Varina of Richmond, CD Hylton of Northern VA, and EC Glass.  That would kind of be the equivalent or a fair comparison as to Thomasville's schedule the first 4 or 5 games.  Thomasville has done this for years and usually, the lose 3 of these 5, but win the final 6, and blow into the playoffs and go deep or win it.  In summary, do not let a loss of Fort Chiswell at Thomasville fool you about Fort Chiswell.  If FC keeps this within 1 TD, it will be very impressive.  If they win it, I can feel quite confident that FC will play for a state title in VA this year. 

Thomasville High has approximately 850 students grades 9 through 12 and they are a little larger than Fort Chiswell in number, but not my much. 

850 would make Thomasville roughly twice the size of FC. 

Thanks for the info, I think all of SWVA A is curious about Fort. I know I am, I know they are good but I don't know a whole lot about them.

FC is a final 4 team imo, idk enough about what the East has to say if they will go any farther.

Fort Chiswell 21....Thomasville, NC 17.  An amazing win on the road for FC against a team that had speed, more speed, and even more speed than that all over the field. Thomasville was as expected...fast, athletic, talented, and had good size and there is no team FC will play this season that is faster.  A couple of the teams from the East that FC could play late in the playoffs will be very fast also, but not any faster than Thomasville.  This game is very foreshadowing of the type of game and team that FC will have in the state semi's or state finals if they make it that far.  It also showed me they can win this type of game.

Summary...FC offensive line blowing the defense off the ball and running right at them for 7 yards a play and completely destroying the playclock.  Defensively, the FC defensive line pushing the Thomasville OL in the backfield and just completely destroying and blowing up plays not allowing their super fast athletes at seemingly every position to get open in space.  FC is the real deal folks.  The sophomore running back -Ward, is going to be play college ball and maybe bigtime college ball.

See the post I wrote about FC's opponent in Thomasville.  1 and 4 is very, very misleading.   How misleading?  Thomasville is the best team FC will play until they reach the state semifinals.  The history of Thomasville is....

1.  3rd winningest school in NC Football History with 8 state titles, 10 state final appearances and a whopping 24 state semi final appearances.

2.  Their history is....play supersized NC powerhouses the first 4 or 5 games before the conference play.  They often enter the playoffs with 4 losses.  In 2011, they started the season 1 and 4, then won 6 straight games to enter the playoffs at 7 and 4. They won 3 straight playoff games and lost in the state semi's in a nailbiter.  Thomasville has scheduled up for many years and not just scheduled up, they've scheduled completely out of the ball park.  For example, they have approximately 800 kids.

3.  Game 1 of this year, they played North Davidson, a school with over 1500 students and a powerhouse that is now 6 and 1 on the season and ranked as the 36th overall school in the state of NC. Game 2 of this year, played Mount Airy, a school with over 1,000 students.

4.  Game 3 of this year, they played Highpoint Central, a school with over 1400 students.and ranked as the 39th overall best team in NC by Maxpreps.

5.  Game 4 of this year, they played Davie County, a NC powerhouse with over 1700 students.

6.  Game 5 of this year, they played Randleman, a school with over 1250 students.

After the loss to FC, they are now 1 and 5.  Revisit this post in 6 weeks.  They will easily win their conference games in enter the playoffs as 6 and 5 on the regular season, and likely advance to the state semi's.  They've done this for years.  It's like FC opening with EC Glass, Salem, CD Hylton, Varina, and Westfield.  The difference in numbers are about to that level, then FC reverting to playing it's District Games.  That's the story of Thomasville.   Yes, they were 1 and 4 coming into this game, but they really weren't 1 and 4 if you know the history of this school.  If they would have played FC's schedule to this point, they would be undefeated.

Revisit this post....Thomasville will win it's 5 remaining regular season games and finish 6 and 5.  They will enter the playoffs and win 3 games and advance to the state semifinals.  In 2011, they started 2 and 4.  They won their 5 remaining regular season games to finish the regular season and 6 and 5.  They won 3 straight playoff games and advanced to the state semi's.  The team that beat them in the state semi's lost the following week in the state championship game on a field goal as time expired. Trust me on this one.....1 and 5, or 2 and 4 is meaningless to measure how solid this team is for this case which is a unique one and a team that schedules completely out of realm and way, way, above it's level for the first 5 or so games each year.  They've done this for years only to advance deep into the 2A playoffs and sometimes, winning the whole thing.  

The most important thing in my opinion.....it's a glimpse of what FC gets late in the playoffs against a possible Essex or Sussex Central with great speed and athleticism. Thomasville was exactly that.  My question was...can FC match up against a superfast and athletic team, or will they get exposed to big plays and simply gashed by quick scores to the opponent due to speed.   Well, I think that question was put to rest.  The reason they can match up is because of their lineplay on both sides of the football.  I watched the game against Thomasville and Thomasville simply couldn't tackle them within 3 to 4 yards of the line of scrimmage.  FC just manhandled them up front.  This team reminds me much of a Gate City team that upset Gretna to win a state title a few years back due to lineplay and controlling the clock.

I have lived in NC for 18 years and have followed high school football down here for the last 10 years. Thomasville is a pretty good 2a football team. They are no where near what they use to be. They had a real good run the last 4 or 5 years they played 1a ball. They normally do play well in the playoffs and make it deep most years. I don't know how far they will make it this year. Mt airy is a 1a school that has 528 students. They to normally field a good team, but have been down the last few years. Reguardless this was a good win for Ft Chiswell and should help them come playoff time.