Sleeping Giant

V-Cats

I believe you are correct. I've always wondered what hold VHS back in football. Not being associated with the school in any way, i wouldn't know about the meddling but it's a shame that it happens some places.

I thought Paul Wheeler had them heading in the right direction last season. Too bad it didn't work out for everyone involved.

With the schedule ahead of them this season, they could finish 2-8 but could also finish 6-4.

JSB is proof of what can happen when it all comes together...

Have always felt VHS  is much like Bluefield, setting right in the middle of a pool of unlimited talent but can't put it together like they should.  Could it be one environment is much more the blue collar working back ground types (railroad, coal mines) vs a much more white collar environment (businesses)?  Forgive me but the Abingdon syndrome.

Just give VHS time. Just look at what happened with Battle. We started to really turn the corner when Witten was the head coach (he brought a lot of excitement to the program and got so many involved) but of course he didn't work out for multiple reasons we all know and then we got Wright and his crew and they took all that excitement and momentum and added discipline and the fundamentals to build the program we now have. It seemed to me that Wheeler got some excitement going after VHS's coaching woes before he came back and now if VHS gives their new coach a few years to build this program like Battle did with Wright, they could be very strong in the near future. They have good athletes and a good coach, just need time (and by time, I mean a few years at least....not overnight).

Is it fair to say that Virginia High is a sleeping giant: that if the administration and parents didn't meddle & if they utilized the athleticism, they could be a football power

Legit statement. But IMO the same can be said for most of the AA schools in SWVA. They should be better than they are.

Va High, Abingdon, Marion, etc. all should be better. Va High and Abingdon more than the others

Yes, I feel your pain.  Most definitely.  AHS' problem is about 80% coaching.  But, with the right coach there would be more kids playing that are stellar athletes.  I don't think we are similar to VHS in regards to coaching.  I would love to have their coach. But, for that matter, I would love to have ANY other coach...lol. 

Other than Thurman, VHS has had good coaches recently...they just refuse to keep 'em for some reason.  I hope the coaching merry-go-round is over now.  Funny how things change though.  Back in my day, Abingdon and VHS were 2 good programs.  Richlands and JSB were not.  What a reversal of fortunes.

Being a VHS alum, I always thought VA High to be very similar to Radford in almost every respect.  The main difference I noticed when I attended school there and lived there in the years afterward is the focus of the whole culture.  They haven't had the kind of people like a Coach Lineburg (although one of his sons is in admin for the schools in some capacity) or a Cormany to guide and lead a stable and successful program.  The one sport they have had this is baseball.  Of the ones they've had come through, I thought Adams could maybe pull this off in football and Rasnick in basketball but they both left.  If they happen to find someone in either sport, they can see them being a deep SWVA Radford.  Always competitive and every ten years or so being a legit contender for a title.