John Battle/Gate City

Jethro

Final.

GC 32 Battle 20.

Was a fairly close game as most predicted.

I don't think GC punted all night. Either scored or turned the ball over. Two GC turnovers in the red zone kept this game closer. 

Battle dropped some passes that would have helped them.

I think GC leads the all-time series with Battle 31-2.  

Hat's off to GC's offense. Our defense just couldn't do anything about that offensive line and 20 and 41 are very tough runners. The QB was really good too. Battle just couldn't stop the run (we seem to be struggling with that this year) and couldn't catch much. I don't know if it was because of the cold or what, but I haven't seen our passing game that bad before. GC had at least one interception and could have had a couple more. A couple things that impressed me was the number of penalties (I think there was only 3 or 4 total) and how much GC has improved condition-wise from last season (last year they had to call a time out just to give the players a rest). We're gonna have to get ready for a tough road ahead with Lee and Union away (it was really cold tonight, but I can only imagine what it might be like the next couple of games).

Goes back to what I've been saying on here all along...... Battle is really hurting on the defensive line.    They play very well against finesse/spread teams because of the athletes they have at Linebacker and in the secondary.     Against Power teams such as Honaker and Gate City,  they just cant get stops. 5 lineman were lost to graduation last year and just couldn't be replaced.

In the last 3 ball games..... Battle has given up 1000 yards rushing.      They're so athletic and play so hard that they almost overcome the lack of a line though.

For example...Honaker ran for 400 yards and barely got out of there with the win.   Battle gave up close to 300 yards rushing to Wise Central and won the game.... Tonight Gate City ran for around 400 yards and if you take away an Interception in the end zone,  this ball game is a 6 point game.

Battle just has to get back to work and get ready for Lee High next week.   Both teams came out of this without any injuries also.   Good luck to both the rest of the way.

GC is screwed

I'm sorry battleftbl, you cannot overcome the lack of linemen. Take out the guys up front and see how you do then.

And if gate city scored inside the 5 instead of turning it over twice the blue devils would of blown out, yes BLOWN OUT, Battle. Just a neutral observation.

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player

That struts and frets his hour upon the stage

And then is heard no more: it is a tale

Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,

Signifying nothing.

I believe that Battle very much under-estimated GC. Been talking to some of the guys standing around for a while now and we all agreed that GC would be a lot tougher than everyone thought. Just didn't expect them to own the game quite as much as they did. Also heard today that a couple of Battle starters may have suffered some injuries during that game. But haven't been able to confirm it. I think that Lee is going to be tough. Battle don't travel that distance well and it's going to be cold up there. Also, Lee likes to run the ball & battle can't seem to stop it right now. I guess we'll find out in a few days.