Honaker-Covington

Tigers_07

Interesting game to me. I don't know much about Covington and i've never seen them play. Looks like they have been competitive even in their 3 losses and have some nice wins.

It's a long trip to Russell County for them so i think that helps Honaker and the Tigers have been solid all season long. Honaker earns a trip to Fort Chiswell next week with a win the Friday.

Honaker 27-18

Covington has some size on both lines as well as tons of speed. They have 2 very good receivers and a decent qb. They will try to run the read option out of the spread and a variation of the waggle. They also line up in single wing sets. If they get to the corner they are hard to catch. They do not tackle well but can pursue any play. Covington has very little depth. IMO they have the talent to win but are not coached well in some areas.

James River had a lot of success passing the ball against them. They disrupted Covington's offense with well timed blitzes.

Honaker should get the win.

Looks like Covington is the mystery team, but their record speaks for itself, you don't get into the playoffs and advance unless you are a solid team. Honaker seems to have gotten focused after the beat down they took at Sandlick and I think will go back to what they do best, control the tempo, long time consuming drives, and hard nosed defense. Tigers 31 Cougars 21  

Lets hope the loss to Red lit a fire under them.

this will be an interesting trip for Covington, I imagine they will travel thru WV(64 to Beckley and then down 77 or 64 to Lewisburg and down 219) to get to Honaker.

Good luck to the Tigers on Saturday !  Play ball the way you have all year and you have a great chance to move on to the next round !

Survive and move on,  just like March madness.  doesn't matter how pretty,  just find a way to win the game and play again next week !

That goes for both H-Tiger teams !

What the heck happened? My friend said there were a ton of trick plays.

Here's an article from Roanoke on the trick plays run tonight.  

by
LLOYD COMBS | Special to The Roanoke Times

Saturday, November 23, 2013

HONAKER — In far Southwest Virginia the set is known as the Emory & Henry formation.

In Covington it’s known as the polecat.

By any name it adds up to six points for the Cougars.

Brandon Phillips scored three touchdowns to lead Covington to a 25-0 win over Honaker in the second round of the Group 1A West playoffs Friday night at Emats Stadium.

While the Honaker offense struggled most of the night, Covington thrived with a little trickery that included its single-wing and an odd formation used decades ago at Emory & Henry College and employed on occasion by South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier.

Phillips scored on a 64-yard run to break a scoreless tie just before halftime and improvised again for a third-quarter score out of the same set as the Cougars (9-3) pulled away in the second half.

“We call it the polecat, it’s been a staple of ours the last 10 years,†Covington coach Rodney Tenney said. “I got it from Steve Isaacs at Bath County about 10 years ago.

“We’ve actually scored 11 times out of it this year. We’ve been real lucky with it. We spread the field and get kids into space.â€

Phillips got into space on his own on his first TD and called his third score, a 22-yard pass from Raquann Matthews to Phillips that gave Covington a 19-0 lead late in the third period.

Both plays were out of the polecat formation, where four lineman are set on one hash mark and the center and a signal caller line up on the other. Both times it called for an option pass by the Cougar setback.

“We just really needed a touchdown,†Phillips said of his first score. “I got by the first couple of kids who chased me. They were putting pressure on me and I couldn’t find a receiver and I saw a running lane and I just took it.

“Actually I called the [TD reception]. It’s a play we’ve been practicing and it’s been working so I said ‘let’s do it’. It was the first time we’ve done it in a game.â€

The Covington defense did the rest, handing Honaker its first shutout all season and holding the Tigers to 150 total yards.

“I know our defense played lights out against a good football team,†Tenney said. “Traveling down here we knew we were going to have to play hard and we did.

“I couldn’t be prouder.â€

Gavin Hunter and Austin Waddell were each in on two sacks as the Cougars kept pressure on Honaker quarterback Casey Dye the entire game.

“I thought they were fast,†Honaker coach Doug Hubbard said. “We had plays what we think are going to be 5 or 6 yards and they were sliding off and making plays. They were catching us from behind and putting a lot of pressure on us.â€

Turnovers plagued the Tigers, who fumbled away the second half kickoff to set up Phillips’ second score, a 2-yard touchdown run. Honaker lost another fumble on the Cougars’ 40-yard line in the third quarter.

Jordan Miller capped the scoring for Covington with a 35-yard touchdown run with 3:32 remaining.