Battle

OLINE77

This is a truly sad situation for high school athletics. Here you have a large school that was not used to winning for decades, and the school brought in a new coach and that won some games, and went to the payoffs. Heck, in Virginia, just about every school goes to the playoffs now. The coach resigns, and another new coach was hired. The kids and staff worked their butts off all summer I bet, but lost their first game to a neighbor school. The parents wants the new coach's head, because its all his fault because they got the sh&t beat out of them. The principal,who obliviously has no back bone, sides with the parents and hires back the previous coach, and his assistant. The parents get what they want. This situation is pitiful because it shows no character on part the principal or the parents. Not wishing JBS any bad luck, but I hope you guys go 0-10!

Winning is not everything. If I was an assistant coach under the old coach that was kicked out, it would tell them where to shove it! Just my 2 cents worth!

I think in some part this is true. I think that there were some parents that wanted the new coach's head. But, trust me, the same was true with Coach Wright. If your were at the play-off game against Gate City last year, you would know. It was ridiculous how some parents acted.  I think Coach Lee's reasons for leaving is alot more dimensional than just a couple of parents wanting his head.

I asked a player yesterday what the deal was with the coach leaving, what he told them, and was told that the coach never spoke to the team about it. He apparently just up and resigned without letting anyone know (except the principal I guess). Many of the players found out when the news broke on the web. There may have been people who wanted his head before the season even started and who didn't give him a fair chance, but you can't come in (especially in a rebuild year like this) and completely change the game plan to something the team just can't run. It's fine having an offense/defense that you want to run and trying it out, but you should know quickly if your team can run it or not and we definitely couldn't run his offense. He seemed like the kind of coach who wanted to make his players fit his scheme rather than finding a scheme to fit what his team can do. And if that's not enough, to leave without telling the team and just keeping mum on the whole deal...that's just not right.

I asked a player yesterday what the deal was with the coach leaving, what he told them, and was told that the coach never spoke to the team about it. He apparently just up and resigned without letting anyone know (except the principal I guess). Many of the players found out when the news broke on the web. There may have been people who wanted his head before the season even started and who didn't give him a fair chance, but you can't come in (especially in a rebuild year like this) and completely change the game plan to something the team just can't run. It's fine having an offense/defense that you want to run and trying it out, but you should know quickly if your team can run it or not and we definitely couldn't run his offense. He seemed like the kind of coach who wanted to make his players fit his scheme rather than finding a scheme to fit what his team can do. And if that's not enough, to leave without telling the team and just keeping mum on the whole deal...that's just not right.

My nephews play for Battles JV. I talked to one of them yesterday after the game & he told me that a special coaches meeting was called at 2:00 pm and the assistant coaches were told then.  A team meeting was called at 2:45 & that's when the boys were told. They were told that Coach Lee walked into the principals office at 7:30 that morning, laid his keys & his resignation letter on principals desk, turned around, and walked out without saying a word to anyone.  Heard today from someone else that it wasn't exactly true that he didn't say a word to anyone. He supposedly told Hawkins to shove it where the sun don't shine before walking out.  Maybe true maybe not. Rumors are flying. The only thing that we really know is that it hurt the boys a lot worse than it hurt anyone else.  I agree with Thomas.  He should have said something to the team before leaving.

I am really disappointed in this whole situation.  I think the Principal is the first to blame due to his lack of discernment in hiring an unproven coach.  It was easy to hire Steve Wright in the beginning because he was a honorable candidate.  Nevertheless, when the time came to replace Coach Wright with quality coach, Principal Hawkins failed both the kids and fans of John Battle High School.  Second, I blame Coach Lee.  How can you leave those boys?  No matter the situation, you finish what you start.  My prayers are with those kids and Coach Wright for saving this season.  Steve Wright is a great man.  

Second, I blame Coach Lee.  How can you leave those boys?  No matter the situation, you finish what you start.   

While I agree Coach Lee should have finished out the season the Principal did try to force him to hire Baker and possibly Wright back after the Abingdon game because Briscoe quit the program (he has since returned). The principal has no business getting involved with the football program once a coach has been hired and I don't blame Lee for wanting to distance himself from those two so he could run his own program. Now Battle is back in the same boat they were last year with a lame duck head coach. What qualifed coach will put in for the job next year after seeing how the principal treats the head football coach?

While I agree Coach Lee should have finished out the season the Principal did try to force him to hire Baker and possibly Wright back after the Abingdon game because Briscoe quit the program (he has since returned). The principal has no business getting involved with the football program once a coach has been hired and I don't blame Lee for wanting to distance himself from those two so he could run his own program. Now Battle is back in the same boat they were last year with a lame duck head coach. What qualifed coach will put in for the job next year after seeing how the principal treats the head football coach?

Yet another example of Jeff Hawkins not making good decisions.  Briscoe quit the previous Abingdon football staff as well in the middle of the season if I remember correctly?  So, he quits Battle and now you let him back on the staff?  Who is holding the Principal accountable?  Sorry, I just think when you are in leadership, you lead.  Poor example of leadership.

Tim Hayesâ€@Hayes_BHCSports9 mins

The average stint of a John Battle football coach (1960-Present): 28.5 games.

Tim Hayesâ€@Hayes_BHCSports6 mins

The longest-tenured coaches at John Battle by games: Otey (80), Phil Robbins (60), Crockett (60), Bill Leeson (40), Steve Wright (36) #HCFH

Great State

Lee out at Battle; Wright, Baker take over on interim basis

Posted: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 11:41 pm

Allen Gregory | Bristol Herald Courier

BRISTOL, Va. – Brian Lee is out as the John Battle head football coach and former head coach Steve Wright has returned.

Multiple sources confirmed that Lee delivered his sudden resignation to Battle principal Jeff Hawkins early Tuesday morning. Lee in a text message would not comment, but later added he may offer an explanation today.

The story then unraveled throughout the afternoon, with Hawkins meeting with Wright and former Battle defensive coordinator Rocky Baker and asking them to return as coaches. Both men agreed.

The Trojans lost their one and only game under Lee, a 60-20 decision to Abingdon last week on Battle Hill.

In an interview after practice Tuesday evening, Wright said that he and Baker will operate as co-head coaches on an interim basis.

“This all came out of the blue about eight this morning. I was very surprised,†Wright said. “I don’t know what to feel right now.â€

After making their separate agreements with Hawkins, Wright and Baker met to discuss practice plans. They shared the news of their unique

arrangement just before the start of practice.

“We feel like we could do the best in this situation by sharing the head coaching duties,†Wright said.

With Wright serving as head coach and Baker directing the defense, the Trojans posted a 24-12 record with three straight playoff berths from 2011-2013. Battle qualified for the playoffs just twice from 1970-2010

When he resigned shortly after last season, Wright said he had no plans to get back into coaching and wanted to devote more time to his family and faith. Wright, 54, serves as a volunteer with the regional chapter of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

“This was a tough decision,†Wright said. “I am getting more and more involved with the FCA and Coach Baker is also involved in other things. We just love these kids and we felt like we were obligated to help them. That’s why we’re doing this.â€

Baker, 51, worked as the head coach at now defunct Pound High School from 1999-2002. He led Pound to the 1999 Division 1 title game, where the Wildcats fell 21-6 to Surry County at Liberty University. Baker then served on the staff for former University of Virginia’s College at Wise head coach Bruce Wasem.

“Obviously, this is a unique situation. I really don’t know how to describe it right now,†Baker said Tuesday night. “It’s been a long day, but I think it’s been a longer day for the kids with not knowing what to expect at 3 p.m.â€

Baker, who works as a guidance counselor at Battle, was encouraged by the response of the Battle players during the meeting and practice that ended shortly after 6 p.m.

“Our meeting was very straightforward and business-like, and I think the kids respected our decision,†Baker said. “The kids were upbeat in practice, hustling and working hard. I think we’ve got a very resilient bunch here.â€

The goal now for Baker, Wright and other Battle coaches is to devise a game plan for Friday’s clash at Bristol rival Virginia High.

“Things have just happened so quickly,†Baker said. “Coach Wright and I tried to spend some time together today to put our schedule together and talk about how he and I would divide our specific duties.â€

No other changes are planned to the coaching staff, Wright said.

Battle spent the preseason and the first game in a no-huddle spread offense. Wright has been a longtime proponent of the traditional Wing-T offense and he said that Battle will “have a little Wing-T flavor†on Friday.

“We’re just going to try and be very basic and work on some fundamentals,†Wright said. “We will get us a few running plays and work on the things that we’re already established.â€

Wright and Baker agreed that their past coaching relationships with several of the current Battle players will assist with the transition.

“It’s been a tough day. A change like this is always tough on the kids, and that’s our No. 1 concern,†Wright said. “I thought they responded pretty well in practice.â€

Wright said he has no plans to coach beyond this season.

“We took the job on interim basis,†Wright said. “The plan right now is for Coach Baker and I to finish out the season. We’re just going to do the best we can.â€

Baker said he had current plans to jump back into coaching before Tuesday.

“I don’t know if never is the right word, but I definitely didn’t plan to return under these circumstances,†Baker said. “Coach Wright and I had conversations before the final decision was made. Having Steve come on board made my decision a whole lot easier.â€

Despite the turmoil that has spread throughout the community since Friday’s game, Baker is confident that the Trojans can persevere.

“We’re just going to try our best to put a fundamentally sound football team out there,†Baker said. “This is a good bunch. I think they will continue to do what we’ve asked of them in the past and do their very best, even with the change.â€

Well I will say this, Steve Wright is a class act and a great man. Odds are we beat them handily tonight, but given a bit more time, Steve will have this team playing better. I'm sympathetic to the kids, they don't deserve this, and I hope the situation improves for them as the season goes along.

I can't get the quote thing to work but biggreen, this may answer your question as to when Briscoe quit.

From what I heard, Lee and Briscoe had an animated conversation before practice Monday.  Briscoe left and did not go to practice and Lee coached the line during practice.  The next day (Tuesday) Lee was gone and Briscoe was back at practice.