SWVA Poll Week 7

V-Cats

Time again for this weeks SWVA Sports Top 10. After yet another impressive win, this time over WV 2A powerhouse Bluefield, Richlands continues to prove that their early season hiccup was just that. Meanwhile across the county, Tazewell's stock continues to drop, just in time for the Backyard Brawl. In other news, Northwood and Lee are still undefeated, and still haven't played anybody. And those darned Blue Buzzards in A-Town are making their first Top 10 appearance. Go crazy with discussion and don't forget to PM me next week for Week 8

1. Giles (7) (5-0) 70

2. Gate City (4-2) 58

3. Richlands (4-2) 44

4. Honaker (5-0) 42

5. Lee (5-0) 40

6. Union (5-1) 35

7. Haysi (4-1) 34

8. Northwood (6-0) 23

9. Abingdon (4-1) 13

10. Clintwood (3-3) 8
    Fort Chiswell (4-1) 8

Also receiving votes: Marion (4), Tazewell (3), George Wythe (2), Hurley (1)

This week’s inter-ranked games:

#4 Honaker @ #10 Clintwood

#5 Lee @ #6 Union

I get that Tiger and its well taken. I seen Gate City pre season and I thought we would roll them. Boy was I wrong. I guess we will see it all pan out in the next four weeks. You just can't put much stock in scrimmages and benefit games.

I haven't seen Marion play, all I know is common opponents. Marion lost to Northwood, a team that got BLASTED by Haysi in the preseason. Its hard for me to put them in my Top 10.

we also had 7 players out in that Northwood game 6 of them starters with the whole offensive and defensive line and 2 linebackers out I guarantee if we played them right now we would beat them I can see this Marion team going 9-1 and that's not being a homer cause I'm not one to brag about Marion on here just stating the facts

I haven't seen Marion play, all I know is common opponents. Marion lost to Northwood, a team that got BLASTED by Haysi in the preseason. Its hard for me to put them in my Top 10.

That is what I was looking at on Abingdon, common opponents. Volunteer, Happy Valley, Lebanon, Chilhowie, and Battle wouldn't justify getting in to the top 10. I guess we'll just have to let the season play out and see what happens. Nothing wrong with a little debating.

That is what I was looking at on Abingdon, common opponents. Volunteer, Happy Valley, Lebanon, Chilhowie, and Battle wouldn't justify getting in to the top 10. I guess we'll just have to let the season play out and see what happens. Nothing wrong with a little debating.

by putting abingdon in the top 10 they must be trying to show falconwoman and southy some love

Marions absence from the SWVA Top 10 can(imo) be attributed to their weak schedule. Lets see how they do against Union in a couple of weeks. 

Im not saying Marion isint good, im just saying that to me they haven't earned a top 10 ranking... yet.

Volunteer and Happy Valley are more impressive to me than Rural Retreat and Holston, just sayn

Marions absence from the SWVA Top 10 can(imo) be attributed to their weak schedule. Lets see how they do against Union in a couple of weeks.

Im not saying Marion isint good, im just saying that to me they haven't earned a top 10 ranking... yet.

Volunteer and Happy Valley are more impressive to me than Rural Retreat and Holston, just sayn

Lol look at the bonus points we have gained we have the 2nd most in 2A west just behind Gate City that's pretty weak ain't it...... By the way talking about a weak schedule Haysi lol

I never said Haysi had a strong schedule, our schedule is VERY weak. Haysi has have played 2 good teams; beat 1(Clintwood) and lost to the other(Tug Valley). No shame in that.

I dont really care about bonus points, Marions schedule is weak and especially so for a 2A school. I understand they have been working their way through their district schedule and that cant be helped but what has Marion done to earn the right to be on a top 10 list? From someone on the outside looking in they have done nothing except beat a good GW team and lose to a NW team that im not sold on yet. 

Do you not agree that Volunteer and HV are better than RR and Holston? 

If im doing a Top 15 list it probably looks like

1  Giles

2 GC

3 Richlands

4 Haysi

5 Union

6 Lee

7 Honaker

8 Northwood

9 Abingdon

10 Clintwood

11 Marion

12 GW

13 Central

14 Hurley

15 ???

Lol look at the bonus points we have gained we have the 2nd most in 2A west just behind Gate City that's pretty weak ain't it...... By the way talking about a weak schedule Haysi lol

I may be wrong but not all of marions bonus points have came form wins by the teams they have beat. Some of them are the extra bonus points they get for playing a 1A school in district. I think its 2 points per win for a 2A school that beats a 1A school in district.

I will agree those two TN schools are better than RR and Holston. On the flip side, wouldn't you agree Tazewell and George Wythe are better than Lebanon and John Battle?

Without a doubt. Well at this point Lebanon/Tazewell may be a push but GW is WAY better than Battle.

Ryan, im not saying Abingdon is better than Marion or that AHS will beat MHS. Im saying at this point in the season I believe Abingdon deserves to be in the Top 10 and Marion does not.