If I were the exalted ruler of MLB...

GMan

I would do five things:

1- Reinstate Pete Rose and automatically place him the the HoF.

2- Drop the DH

3- Drop Inter-League Play

4- The season is too long. Make the season 108 games...play a 3-game home/away series versus everyone in your league not in your division and play two 3-game home/away series versus everyone in your division.

5- Realign all divisions:

AL Northeast:  Boston, Toronto, New York (Y), New York (M), Philadelphia

AL North Central:  Detroit, Milwaukee, Minnesota, Chicago ©, Chicago (WS)

AL NorthXSouthwest: Seattle, Colorado, Arizona, Texas, Houston

NL EastXSoutheast:  Baltimore, Washington, Atlanta, Tampa, Miami

NL South Central: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Kansas City

NL Kalifornia:  San Diego, Los Angeles (D), Los Angeles (A), San Francisco, Oakland

The only issue with that type of alignment is one team in each league starts 3 days later than everyone else/ends 3 days earlier than everyone else possibly making the ending of a season a little less exciting if its a tight pennant race.  I would think the teams would like the 3-5 days off every now and then when its their turn for a gap in scheduling.

Also, Pete should be in the HOF for what he done as a player, but I hope he is never allowed in until Shoeless Joe is in.  If Jackson is put in the HOF then I will be fine with Rose put in.  I dont see either happening though.

The only issue with that type of alignment is one team in each league starts 3 days later than everyone else/ends 3 days earlier than everyone else possibly making the ending of a season a little less exciting if its a tight pennant race.

You can work around that.  Most every year you have an idea of who the worst teams are in the league, just schedule them to finish and start vacation a few days earlier than the rest of the league.  Minor issue IMO.

The one thing I really like about that alignment is that you would have city rivals, and most in-state rivals playing each other in games that mean something toward the post season....sorry Pennsylvania. 

I think this would bring more interest to the game...and baseball DEFINITELY needs that right now.

I'd also like to see some sort of "pitch clock" instituted to help speed up the game.  Pitch clock violation would count as a "ball" on the batter.  Also don't allow intentional walks and only allow the pitcher to hold the runner on base by throwing to first no more than twice.

I agree its a minor deal, and teams would appreciate the extra days off during the season from time to time.  Interleague play was a nice concept at first but I miss only seeing players face each other at the All Star game and WS. 

The timing of baseball is a catch 22.  Pitch clocks and etc dont have major effects on how long a game is IMO.  Baseball wants people to watch the game and offense will drive viewers but also prolongs games.  That is why they want to do away with shifts but its stupid IMO.  Dont argue games are too long yet try to increase offensive opportunities.

Shorten the commercial breaks to 90 seconds between innings and pitching changes.  That would go miles in speeding up the pace of the game.  The pitch clock should apply to batters as well.  If the batter is so obsessed with adjusting his gloves etc, call a strike against him.

When I umpired baseball in Texas, once a batter entered the box, they weren't allowed to step out unless they were avoiding a steal attempt or a pitched ball.  We would regularly play an entire 7 inning game in an hour and a half.  

Granted, this was ages 8-18 but the concept is the same.  Dramatically speeds up the game.