Dobyns Bennett vs Maryville live stream tonight

BigO

Saw this storyline by Thwaites earlier about the game  but didn't post...

Maryville has one of their 2 QB's dismissed from the team along with a DB for the all inclusive "violation of team rules" Coach Quarles is a class act and fair. QB Austin Ensley was part of a 2 man rotation, he was the passing QB. hit the long pass against Fulton

Id love for a SWVA team to get a shot at DB. Whether its Richlands, Union, Gate City, just give one of our poor lil ole SWVA teams a shot at mighty DB.

The Maryville result has nothing to do with this, Maryville would beat any SWVA team by 70, but in a year like this year, I truly believe Richlands or Union could give DB a game.

I know for a fact that Phil Robbins tried to schedule DB in either 1995 or 1998, and they flat out refused. It would have been the biggest game in SWVA/NETN history, and they backed out. Phil said they would play at DB, they could use TSAAA refs, whatever it took, and they would not play us. He wanted to see how good PV really was (and in 98, that was REALLY good, we actually had more D1 talent that year than they did) and if they could compete with the big boys, but DB would not play us.

Ive heard GC has tried to play DB before in an intra-state showdown and DB always says no.

I know whet you mean, but DB has absolutely NOTHING to gain by playing a 1A, 2A, or 3A school from another state. I understand their refusal.

I understand that, but in 97, PV were defending state champions who had beaten the 1A Div I champs and 2A Div 1 champs, and were willing to schedule a home and home to let DB come trounce them in 99. DB has never failed to schedule crap teams like North and Volunteer, why not make a ton of money gate-wise and play GC? PV/Union played Sullivan North on the schedule for some years and had a winning record against them, I don't see why DB could not take a flyer one year or two and play a team from VA to have a huge intra-state showdown.

The schools you mention were sometimes conference games and they had no choice but to play them. They are finally now in a much more competitive conference. Look at the distances they travel. They are in somewhat the same situation as Abingdon....the closest school in the same classification could be hours away.

If DB loses to a 4A TN team, well that happens sometimes.

If DB loses to a 2A VA team, its embarrassing and they lose their mythological status

How does TN determine playoff seeding?  Would it hurt them to play a small school like it would in VA?

They were sometimes... BUT majority of the time they were not... Now that they are in a proper conference/finally having to play majority of schools with similar enrollment they will lose more, more so than the past 25 years

You guys are right, but I was just thinking a marquee game between two of the best teams in each state in the first week of the regular season would have brought a ton of money to each program.

And I don't believe anyone would have belittled DB for losing to a team like PV in 98 or GC in one of their state title years, PV in 98 had as many kids go D1 as DB usually does, and we had an NFL player.

If DB loses to a 4A TN team, well that happens sometimes.

If DB loses to a 2A VA team, its embarrassing and they lose their mythological status

How does TN determine playoff seeding?  Would it hurt them to play a small school like it would in VA?

They determine seeding based on region record. So, it wouldn't hurt their playoff chances or seeding. But,like you said, a school like DB has nothing to gain by playing a 2A Virginia school. If they win then they're just playing "lesser" competition. If they lose they get humiliated and would never live it down.

They determine seeding based on region record. So, it wouldn't hurt their playoff chances or seeding. But,like you said, a school like DB has nothing to gain by playing a 2A Virginia school. If they win then they're just playing "lesser" competition. If they lose they get humiliated and would never live it down.

So even a defending state champion (who beat TWO other state champions that year) with four kids who played at D1 schools, one who set records at Notre Dame and played in the NFL, is lesser competition?

I understand why DB will never schedule a VA school, only saying that I believe that in some cases, one or two of the SWVA schools could beat them.

Whoever the coach was db had before current coach Clark took helm, he seemed to have the persona of were the best team in the area. And tried doing so by, scheduling the likes of ole small swa school named Gate City. We all know how that worked out.. Coach Clark likes the media to much to have scheduled anyone worthy until now because he has to!

So even a defending state champion (who beat TWO other state champions that year) with four kids who played at D1 schools, one who set records at Notre Dame and played in the NFL, is lesser competition?

I understand why DB will never schedule a VA school, only saying that I believe that in some cases, one or two of the SWVA schools could beat them.

Yes.

We may not feel like we are lesser competition, but let's face the "big" NET teams view us that way. Heck, even the eastern VA teams, in our own classification, view us as lesser competition.

We are those "poor inbred mountain people". I guarantee you that David Crockett only scheduled Union because they thought it would be an easy victory. Sullivan North ONLY scheduled Union the last 2 years because they didn't have a choice. They dropped us after '12, but couldn't fill they're schedule so had to pick us back up. Notice we're not playing them this cycle.

Union has had a hard time with scheduling. Teams in NET don't typically want to play us "hillbillies" in SWVA. They know that our best teams are better than MOST of their teams, but as long as they don't play us it won't be proven.

I agree with you, but, unfortunately, NET can't take the chance of being humiliated.

There are only 2 teams who won't and yes they believe they are far more superior to most that being DB and Science Hill

Maybe you can confirm, but I heard South threw a fit and had every excuse they could come up with as to why GC beat them in 2010.

That I have no knowledge of. But Gate City played/opened the season with TN HIGH for 6-8 years and never lost to them but there was just about always an excuse.. Mainly because the "small school" beat the "big school".. Happens in all sports all the way through college.. Appalachia State vs Michigan ring a bell...

I went down to the Science Hill/Maryville Game about 2 weeks ago, it was pretty much like the way the DB/Maryville game went, over in the 1st half!  If you haven't had a chance to go down and watch the 6A Tennessee schools play you should.  Maryville would beat our best teams in SWVA by the same or most likely worse score than they did DB & Science Hill.  As for DB & Science Hill, they play each other at Kingsport on October 30th and if you want to see a big game atmosphere at a High School game you need to go.  Nothing we have but maybe the Graham/Bluefield game rivals it as far as crowd goes.  The numbers alone put DB & SH out of our SWVA teams level of play.  Really to see the talent that is on both sides of the ball is a vast difference from what we see on Friday nights.  In my opinion some of our top athletes would not be the top athletes on those teams and a lot would not even start.  Sure there may be a few exceptions to that but not many.  Some of us like to think our teams good enough to play with anybody, but the truth is they just can't. 

I went down to the Science Hill/Maryville Game about 2 weeks ago, it was pretty much like the way the DB/Maryville game went, over in the 1st half!  If you haven't had a chance to go down and watch the 6A Tennessee schools play you should.  Maryville would beat our best teams in SWVA by the same or most likely worse score than they did DB & Science Hill.  As for DB & Science Hill, they play each other at Kingsport on October 30th and if you want to see a big game atmosphere at a High School game you need to go.  Nothing we have but maybe the Graham/Bluefield game rivals it as far as crowd goes.  The numbers alone put DB & SH out of our SWVA teams level of play.  Really to see the talent that is on both sides of the ball is a vast difference from what we see on Friday nights.  In my opinion some of our top athletes would not be the top athletes on those teams and a lot would not even start.  Sure there may be a few exceptions to that but not many.  Some of us like to think our teams good enough to play with anybody, but the truth is they just can't. 

Maryville is a beast, no doubt. I'm sure they would mop the floor with any SWVA team, and I completely understand what you're saying.

But I don't think folks were saying that ANY SWVA team could beat DB or Science Hill on ANY given day. I believe most were saying that many SWVA teams could compete with a majority of NET teams. A lot more teams in NET besides DB and SH.

There is no doubt in my mind that the '90, '97, and '98 PV teams could have beaten DB or SH in those years along with the 2010 Richlands team and probably several Graham and GC teams in past years. And your also talking about comparing a 650-700 student SWVA team to a 2100 student NET team in DB and SH. Pound for pound I think we are better.

Combine Union, Richlands, and GC and you would have approximately 2100 kids. Take the best players from those teams in a typical "good" year. I would bet on that team handing DB and SH their lunch.