Abingdon 2016 Final Stats/Career Stats

FalconVoice

I will be talking with the Abingdon AD tomorrow and will try to get a handle on the final stats for this year's team, how it impacts career stats and consequently school records. I'll be posting them in here once I finally have them. If any of you have complete (or incomplete stats from any of the last 5 seasons), please let me know and feel free to message me if it's something you don't want to let everyone see.

I'd love to see comprehensive stats from all local teams, its so hard to find total stats. I'd love to see Asbury's total pass yards, or Colliers total yardage and TDs. I'd love to see Cameron Fannon's yardage and YPC and how many total TDs Mitchell has and his yards per touch. I'd also love to see defensive stats like sacks of TFLs, but that's almost impossible to find accurately at the HS level. Its tough to do at the NAIA level keeping from a box, I'd hate to see someone try and do it at the HS level on the field without a computer.

I'd love to see comprehensive stats from all local teams, its so hard to find total stats. I'd love to see Asbury's total pass yards, or Colliers total yardage and TDs. I'd love to see Cameron Fannon's yardage and YPC and how many total TDs Mitchell has and his yards per touch. I'd also love to see defensive stats like sacks of TFLs, but that's almost impossible to find accurately at the HS level. Its tough to do at the NAIA level keeping from a box, I'd hate to see someone try and do it at the HS level on the field without a computer.

Amen, in this area especially (but in HS in general as well), they're hard to find with any regularity.

Amen, in this area especially (but in HS in general as well), they're hard to find with any regularity.

Unless it's a 6A TX/CA/FL school, most don't have dedicated stat keepers and if they do, its someone on staff and its never full stats like TFLs and PBUs. When I kept stats, tackles were hard as hell to judge, and I had a spotter w binoculars. Its not easy, that's why a person should NEVER trust tackle stats, EVER. Esp for the home team. If its a pile up, tackles will be given to everyone. Its like that even at the NFL level, and some guys have contracts that reward tackle stats which is silly bc no one keeps totally accurate tackle stats.

Hell I wouldn't mind keeping stats for Uniom if I had the software.

The best stat guy in the area is at Sullivan North I can't recall the gentleman's name but he has every stat on every game the school has ever played, football that is.

The best stat guy in the area is at Sullivan North I can't recall the gentleman's name but he has every stat on every game the school has ever played, football that is.

That's excellent. Its not that hard to do, just takes a little effort. Pen and paper is extremely hardnfor FB because you doint have scorebooks like baseball, but there's software out there that let's you jus type in every play results and totals everything up.

Also, just a small tidbit, but Sturgill had a meeting with UVA today in Abingdon.

Mendenhall did a fantastic job at BYU, the results aren't showing yet but if given time I'm sure he will have UVA competitive.

Do you think Sturgill projects as a QB at the P5 level?

Mendenhall did a fantastic job at BYU, the results aren't showing yet but if given time I'm sure he will have UVA competitive.

Do you think Sturgill projects as a QB at the P5 level?

I don't know. My eyes tell me yes, but I want to be sure I'm not looking through rose-colored glasses. A lot of what makes the difference at that level to distinguish it from DII or DIII is intelligence, confidence and know how, and thankfully for Jake, he's got those things going for him. Am I saying he's going to go there and start day-1 (or at all)? Absolutely not. But the kid is not going to be stumped by anything you throw at him, and I think he truly believes in himself/his teammates believe in him that he'll/they'll succeed on the play.

It's pretty hard to project the competition he's seen in this area to that level and get any kind of accurate read. I do think he's the best football player that Abingdon has ever produced and that he CAN play on that level, it's just a question of the right offer comes and it's the right fit.

For what it's worth, I have a friend who was a scout for the Jacksonville Jaguars, and he reviewed his tape and numbers and thought they were excellent. He told me that nothing in his footwork or mechanics suggest that he can't play DI football. His only concern? It looked too easy for him, so he wondered about the competition. Also, as Abingdon fans know, the season that Jake put on tape in 2015 was far superior to his 2016 campaign. Not that it was a bad season by any means, just not transcendent like 2015.

I don't know. My eyes tell me yes, but I want to be sure I'm not looking through rose-colored glasses. A lot of what makes the difference at that level to distinguish it from DII or DIII is intelligence, confidence and know how, and thankfully for Jake, he's got those things going for him. Am I saying he's going to go there and start day-1 (or at all)? Absolutely not. But the kid is not going to be stumped by anything you throw at him, and I think he truly believes in himself/his teammates believe in him that he'll/they'll succeed on the play.

It's pretty hard to project the competition he's seen in this area to that level and get any kind of accurate read. I do think he's the best football player that Abingdon has ever produced and that he CAN play on that level, it's just a question of the right offer comes and it's the right fit.

For what it's worth, I have a friend who was a scout for the Jacksonville Jaguars, and he reviewed his tape and numbers and thought they were excellent. He told me that nothing in his footwork or mechanics suggest that he can't play DI football. His only concern? It looked too easy for him, so he wondered about the competition. Also, as Abingdon fans know, the season that Jake put on tape in 2015 was far superior to his 2016 campaign. Not that it was a bad season by any means, just not transcendent like 2015.

QB is just so hard to project, the transition is so difficult. Its encouraging to hear Sturgill is extremely intelligent and has a high football IQ, but its a lil worrisome that he did drop off slightly this year. Watching some of his film, he just seemed more confident last season and seemed like he was more out to prove a point. I just think the leap from starting QB in SWVA against even good teams like Richlands or Graham is gigantic to the D1 level. I was lucky enough to grow up around a great HS QB, a gym rat with intense desire to be great and football IQ off the charts. A lot like Sturgill sounds like, his teammates truly believed in him and he knew football better than almost everyone else. He was a physical specimen as well, his throwing motion was maybe a little longer than Sturgill but the mechanics where rock solid. But even with all that, he didn't make it as a P5 conference QB. (But he was an excellent baseball player, like elite. I'm not sure if he hadn't been solely dedicated to baseball, he wouldn't have been drafted he was that good.

I'm not disparaging anyone at all, jus telling ya what I saw and how hard the leap must be at QB. Just the level of competition and getting used to playing with elite athletes and having to develop completely new timing and adjustments is so difficult, then combine that with leaving home, leaving comfort zone, new staff, new people, etc.. I truly hope Sturgill (ands Asbury, every SWVA kid) has success wherever he goes, I just hope he doesn't view being a starter at D2 or FCS as something less, thats an AWESOME accomplishment. Hell being a startin QB at a NAIA school takes insane talent, dedication and intelligence!

Also, just a small tidbit, but Sturgill had a meeting with UVA today in Abingdon.

Well I think Sturgill wants to attend med school and become a doctor so UVA may be a good fit for him.  Hope for the best for him and all those moving on after graduating.