Union @ John Battle

E.Z.DOES.IT

I think Battle will make it interesting for a while....But then Union takes control and wins pulling away down the stretch. Felty will probably have a big game....Don't really see him being stopped. But so will Slagle and Mitchell.

I'll take Union 73-58

Union came in with the perfect plan for Battle. They put Mitchell on Felty the entire game & it worked. They knew what they had to do to win the game... Stop Felty!!! And they executed it well. It really was the difference in the game. Union is the best Defensive team Battle has seen all season.

As far as the quality of play goes; well let's just say not so good for either team. It was kinda sloppy. Both teams played their hearts out though. It was a very hard fought game. Both teams played it physically & cleanly as expected.

But the biggest disappointment was the crowd. Battle was expecting a large crowd. So Battle fans showed up in good numbers. That was BY FAR the smallest visiting crowd of the season. Most of the Battle fans there were talking about it. I actually took the time to count the Union fans in the stands near the end of the 3rd Period & it was 68 people; not counting the JV kids, Varsity Girls, and Cheerleaders.... 68 !!! I actually felt kinda sorry for the Union Boys on the floor playing that hard with hardly anyone there to cheer them on.

Now I know Battle doesn't travel well. But they don't have one of the top 3 or 4 teams in all of SWVA. I make no excuses for that. I guess it could've just been the expectation of a large crowd that killed the atmosphere. Everyone there really did expect the same kind of crowd that came with GC. And I guess all the folks sitting there talking about the small visiting crowd made it a little worse, too.

Battle fans did have one positive thing tonight. The Boys JV team is guaranteed no worse than 2nd in the Conference with their win tonight. And if they win their next two games, they will tie for 1st.

Union came in with the perfect plan for Battle. They put Mitchell on Felty the entire game & it worked. They knew what they had to do to win the game... Stop Felty!!! And they executed it well. It really was the difference in the game. Union is the best Defensive team Battle has seen all season.

As far as the quality of play goes; well let's just say not so good for either team. It was kinda sloppy. Both teams played their hearts out though. It was a very hard fought game. Both teams played it physically & cleanly as expected.

But the biggest disappointment was the crowd. Battle was expecting a large crowd. So Battle fans showed up in good numbers. That was BY FAR the smallest visiting crowd of the season. Most of the Battle fans there were talking about it. I actually took the time to count the Union fans in the stands near the end of the 3rd Period & it was 68 people; not counting the JV kids, Varsity Girls, and Cheerleaders.... 68 !!! I actually felt kinda sorry for the Union Boys on the floor playing that hard with hardly anyone there to cheer them on.

Now I know Battle doesn't travel well. But they don't have one of the top 3 or 4 teams in all of SWVA. I make no excuses for that. I guess it could've just been the expectation of a large crowd that killed the atmosphere. Everyone there really did expect the same kind of crowd that came with GC. And I guess all the folks sitting there talking about the small visiting crowd made it a little worse, too.

Battle fans did have one positive thing tonight. The Boys JV team is guaranteed no worse than 2nd in the Conference with their win tonight. And if they win their next two games, they will tie for 1st.

Union travels really well for rivalry games but with Battlenbeing so far away and the game not as big as the one next week, I'm not surprised Union had a small crowd.

How many points did Slagle have?

Union travels really well for rivalry games but with Battlenbeing so far away and the game not as big as the one next week, I'm not surprised Union had a small crowd.

How many points did Slagle have?

Not sure. But he did play well; especially in the 4th period. It was a 4 point game after 3 periods. He hit 2 or 3 big shots to give them the final point spread.

Not sure why JSB would expect the same kind of crowd that came with GC/Union, considering its not GC/Union...

They weren't. Not sure about the crowd for GC/Union; although I did hear that it was standing room only. You must've misunderstood my post. They were expecting the same kind of visiting crowd they had when GC came to Bristol.

Battle played GC tough the first game and obviously played Union tough this time around too. Not sure why anyone wouldn't take Battle seriously and expect a good game from them. They are a solid team!

Battle played GC tough the first game and obviously played Union tough this time around too. Not sure why anyone wouldn't take Battle seriously and expect a good game from them. They are a solid team!

Union has their fair share of fair weather fans, if it's not GC or Wise, Union b-ball fans don't travel until playoff time.